• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
Solid read from conservative columnist Jennifer Rubin.

Thrumps comments in bold...just wow. Clearly rubes won't care.

'Values' voters are misnamed

By Jennifer RubinOctober 16, 2017 at 1:30 PM
| Opinion

President Trump listed the values he shares with supporters at the Voters Value Summit on Oct. 13 . "We respect our great American flag," he said to cheers. (The Washington Post)
President Trump revels in the adoration of Christian conservatives, who remain among the most steadfast supporters of the thrice-married, frequently accused misogynist who evidences not a single Christian virtue (e.g. humility, honesty, empathy, kindness, generosity). Trump tells them simplistic applause lines — they can say “Merry Christmas!” — and they applaud. He has delivered for them, in the form of a Supreme Court justice appointment of their liking, a broad order to ban transgender people from the military and sweeping permission for employers to deny birth control as part of the health-care coverage they provide. Sure, he’s cruel to “dreamers” and indifferent to the health-care needs of Americans, but it is not as if “values voters” are politically influenced by concern for immigrants or the poor.

Former congresswoman Michele Bachmann, following up on remarks she made on Friday at the Values Voter Summit, called Trump a “man of faith.” That’s the fable these voters tell themselves and others so as maintain their air of self-righteousness. Trump, you see, is a God-fearing Christian who shares their determination to protect religion, which they actually believe is under attack in the United States. His overt behavior — his bullying, rudeness, nastiness, lying, excessive materialism (doesn’t want poor people in his Cabinet) and total lack of empathy — is ignored.

Revealing the depths of these voters’ hypocrisy, the summit also hosted Stephen K. Bannon, chairman of the self-described home of the alt-right, Breibart News. The invite prompted conservative David French to tweet: “Why is a Christian organization hosting this vile man?” He continued, “The alt-right launched racist attacks against my daughter. Steve Bannon said he gave the alt-right a platform. Why honor him? … The alt-right also made vile threats against a host of people who were your longtime friends and allies. Yet you chose to feature Bannon.” The answer is that the organizers traded political influence for defense of true religiosity; they celebrate anyone who wages the culture war on their behalf, a war based on resentment, anger, self-pity and dishonesty.

Meanwhile, Christian conservatives should know, as with anyone who sucks up to Trump, that he has nothing but contempt for their views, and for their darling Vice President Pence. The New Yorker reports:

A staff member from Trump’s campaign recalls him mocking Pence’s religiosity. He said that, when people met with Trump after stopping by Pence’s office, Trump would ask them, “Did Mike make you pray?” Two sources also recalled Trump needling Pence about his views on abortion and homosexuality. During a meeting with a legal scholar, Trump belittled Pence’s determination to overturn Roe v. Wade. The legal scholar had said that, if the Supreme Court did so, many states would likely legalize abortion on their own. “You see?” Trump asked Pence. “You’ve wasted all this time and energy on it, and it’s not going to end abortion anyway.” When the conversation turned to gay rights, Trump motioned toward Pence and joked, “Don’t ask that guy—he wants to hang them all!”

Mocking prayer? Denigrating the effort to overturn Roe v. Wade? They’d be horrified if a Democrat came close to that sort of conduct. Does Trump believe these things, or is he merely willing to humiliate a devout Christian for his faith?

Trump knows that without the religious right, he’s politically dead. There is little likelihood that he will cross them on a policy issue of any importance. Like the National Rifle Association, the religious right made a pact with someone who never evidenced any concern for their issues. So far, the gamble has paid off for both. Trump and Republicans remain the NRA’s poodles; Trump delights in fighting the culture wars.

Christian conservatives should give up the ruse — they’ve made a bargain with the most irreligious and faithless president in history, a man who holds what they value in contempt. Their scam — that they and their candidates operate from some high, moral plane and are the true repositories of American values — should end with this president. They are nothing more and nothing less than an anti-abortion, anti-gay lobby group that seeks to enlist government to impose their ideological positions on others. In short, they are what their critics have always claimed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/10/16/values-voters-are-misnamed/

Last edited:
[insert Dennis Green clip here]

It's either hypocrisy or just their gullibleness or some combination of the two. Either way, not a good look for modern American Christianity.

Sex obsessed Christians. The issues they sell out for are all sex-related. Hunger, injustice, suffering - doesn't move the needle. If Jesus returned today he'd cast them all out, and would kiss the feet of homosexuals dying from AIDS and would walk among inner city and Appalachian poors helping them eat and get off drugs and out of danger

Tom Price's wife asked about quarantining people with HIV

"I don’t want to say the quarantine word, but I guess I just said it,” Price said during the meeting, which was videotaped.

The lawmaker wife of former Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price asked this week whether the government could quarantine people with HIV to limit transmission of the virus that causes AIDS.

Betty Price, a Georgia state representative from the Atlanta suburbs, made the inquiry during a Georgia House of Representatives study committee meeting about barriers to accessing adequate care. Price, an anesthesiologist, raised the question during an exchange with the director of the Georgia Department of Public Health’s HIV/AIDS epidemiology section.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/20/tom-betty-price-quarantine-hiv-people-244003

This is the messaging the Dems need to get hip to if they ever want to win another election.

Fox gave Bill O'Reilly big contract after $32 million settlement

$32 million. Bill O'Reilly paid $32 million to a Fox News colleague who threatened to sue him for alleged sexual misconduct.

The staggering sum -- paid to longtime Fox News legal analyst Lis Wiehl -- was revealed in a New York Times exposé on Saturday.

The story immediately raised new questions about the ongoing Justice Department investigation into Fox News.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/21/media/bill-oreilly-32-million-settlement/index.html

Sex obsessed Christians. The issues they sell out for are all sex-related. Hunger, injustice, suffering - doesn't move the needle. If Jesus returned today he'd cast them all out, and would kiss the feet of homosexuals dying from AIDS and would walk among inner city and Appalachian poors helping them eat and get off drugs and out of danger

White American Jesus wouldn't. That's who evangelicals worship.

babyjesus.jpg

Bill O'Reilly 'mad at God' over sexual misconduct allegations

Bill O'Reilly has repeatedly blamed reports of sexual misconduct on a politically motivated media. On Monday, he admitted that he also blames a higher power.
"You know, am I mad at God? Yeah, I'm mad at him," O'Reilly said on the latest episode of his web series, "No Spin News." "I wish I had more protection. I wish this stuff didn't happen. I can't explain it to you. Yeah, I'm mad at him."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/23/med...ill-oreilly-misconduct-allegations0947PMStory

Bill O'Reilly 'mad at God' over sexual misconduct allegations

Bill O'Reilly has repeatedly blamed reports of sexual misconduct on a politically motivated media. On Monday, he admitted that he also blames a higher power.
"You know, am I mad at God? Yeah, I'm mad at him," O'Reilly said on the latest episode of his web series, "No Spin News." "I wish I had more protection. I wish this stuff didn't happen. I can't explain it to you. Yeah, I'm mad at him."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/23/med...ill-oreilly-misconduct-allegations0947PMStory

I guess he can take it up with Him in one of his nightly convos.

Bill O'Reilly is a POS. God gave you free will...he is just a person without a moral compass. only one person to blame.

Back