• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

I don't see anything else anywhere about this.

Every time I see Pat Robertson's name, the first thing I think of is the classic SNL parody skit of the 1988 GOP primary debates, where Dan Aykroyd's Big Bad Bob Dole destroyed Al Franken's Pat Robertson. "Oh, come on Pat, everybody knows that's a load of bunk. You know and I know that you're just an old Bible-thumping revival show con artist from way back, claimed to heal people. Well, I'll tell you something, Pat Robertson, you turn to me and heal my right arm and I'll be glad to turn aside and let you be President of the United States." I still love watching that SNL debate. Funny stuff.

"This is the voice of my country. This is the teaching of my elementary years in public school. This is truth."

https://www.facebook.com/IJRRed/videos/10156330634612971/

I've seen this one making the rounds on facebook for the past couple of weeks. For people that claim to stand for morals and principles, the Religious Right is certainly easily bought off. When I went to Sunday School as a kid in a country Southern Baptist church, I was taught that actions, not words, really matter when it comes to being a good Christian. Not anymore, apparently. Of course, I long ago realized that it never really did, or else guys like Falwell, Robertson, Bob Jones, Jesse Helms, etc. would never have become so powerful within the Religious Right community.

To be fair, Southern Baptist’s do kinda believe in words meaning more than actions. That’s kinda the point of a profession of faith in atonement theology.

To be fair, Southern Baptist’s do kinda believe in words meaning more than actions. That’s kinda the point of a profession of faith in atonement theology.

Yes, but after the public profession of faith and being "born again" it was expected (or at least preached constantly) that you would follow a pretty strict moral code. Which Trump regularly violates in about every way possible.

Sure. But asking for foregiveness > the actions you need to be foregiven.

There is a presumption that actions will accompany words but the words are more important.

Right but they aren’t required. It’s why fundamentalists used to dislike Catholics. Until it became politically expedient to alight themselves together.

Evangelicals will 100% tell you trump has been forgiven despite the fact that his ego won’t let him admit wrongdoing.

It’s a big reason why individual atonement theology doesn’t make sense to me. Either the sacrifice was good enough for everyone or no one. I refuse to believe that some incantation or its absence would define your proximity to the divine.

It’s a big reason why individual atonement theology doesn’t make sense to me. Either the sacrifice was good enough for everyone or no one. I refuse to believe that some incantation or its absence would define your proximity to the divine.

I was told all throughout growing up that if I asked Jesus to save me via prayer, I would be saved. So I did. And then felt no different. So now I'm an atheist (this is a gross simplification to make a certain point, just so all you literalists out there know).

But according to Baptists, I should be good now. Really nice to have that in my back pocket.

I was told all throughout growing up that if I asked Jesus to save me via prayer, I would be saved. So I did. And then felt no different. So now I'm an atheist (this is a gross simplification to make a certain point, just so all you literalists out there know).

But according to Baptists, I should be good now. Really nice to have that in my back pocket.

Right. You said your magic words, so you can do whatever you want now. #GraceFTW

Back