• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Accents

best accent on a woman: southern accent, think Andie McDowell or Reese Witherspoon.
worst accent on a woman: Fargo accent. It makes me cringe. THink Sarah Palin.

All accents are awesome. I guess i have a slight inland southern one, but unless I'm in the Northeast nobody notices.

That's awesome. Her line in that episode about how she's gotta go murder a brown snake is an all-timer.

I don’t think I’m gonna be able to carry out a normal conversation with her now. I will ask her to use the “dunny” next time I drop my kid off at her house though...

I have a slight Southern accent, but people here in IL notice it.

Best accent on a woman is Indian, hands down. Then French maybe.

Worst accent on a woman is the midwestern nasal whine. Fucking terrible I can't stand it. Id rather hear Rosie Perez than these nasally women up here.

That's like saying that a New Jersey accent is superior to a Boston or New York accent. All are gross, but there are incontrovertible degrees.

The most beautiful accent is clearly RP. Irish always sounds neutral American to me until they inflect their endings.

Valley Girl worst American accent. Australian worst global English accent.

That's like saying that a New Jersey accent is superior to a Boston or New York accent. All are gross, but there are incontrovertible degrees.

I have no idea what this means

Davidson County here... can almost always identify when I run across someone in the professional world that's from the same area.

I don't think I have a strong accent.
People from outside the south would probably say I do
I have elements of and sometimes go between Inland, Lowland and Classical southern (in that order) having grown up in Western NC, both parents from Charlotte and have spent a ton of time in the low country of SC

Last edited:
I am a chameleon. My American English accent immediately morphs into the local vernacular. And when I visit London they ask if I went to Oxford or Cambridge.

it’s pretty clear

Within the context of it being "categorically false" that one accent is worse than another? If there are degrees, it seems like it can't be categorical. And I couldn't really tell what an incontrovertible degree was.

you know you're in the right place when two guys are arguing about which sub-English English accent is worse

I have no real accent. People say I sound like I'm from Iowa or Indiana because my accent is so neutral. I grew up mostly in Longuylund, NY but lived in London, UK for a few years as a kid, Then NC and MO for grad school. Now I live in AL. I have cassette tapes of me as a kid and I have a serious Long Island accent. It's awful and hilarious.

I hate Long Island/NJ accent, but I can do a really good impression of one and it gets a lot of laughs at parties. The best accents in the world are, hands down, a Scottish brogue, especially a Glaswegian.

Back