• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Accents

Within the context of it being "categorically false" that one accent is worse than another? If there are degrees, it seems like it can't be categorical. And I couldn't really tell what an incontrovertible degree was.
RP > Yorkshire > Geordie > Scouse > Irish > Scots > Cockney > Manchester > Birmingham.

In my opinion. Idc about Cornish or Welsh or Midlands very much. This is also reductive, and I'm sure I've forgotten some.

My list is also based on women. If I'm trying to listen to a bro talk, give me cockney or metropolitan London. None of this regional nonsense. Chaucer > *

I don't really have an accent, but I feel like an accent chameleon at times. Being back in NC this past weekend/week, I had a couple conversations with people at the fair and I was suddenly a southern belle. I lived/worked with two people from Minnesota one summer, and definitely picked up the "oh" ("doncha knoh") by the end of it, and if I start talking to someone else with that accent now it'll come back.

I can't necessarily think of an accent I don't like. There are speech patterns I don't like that are more prevalent in some places than others that I think are super obnoxious, though - like ending sentences with the inflection of a question, even when they aren't questions. I hear that more out here from people who moved up from CA, so I'm blaming it on CA.

My spoken Spanish at it's best was definitely Castilian, to the extent that when I visited friends in Mexico in college the locals asked where in Spain I was from. Sadly I'm not nearly fluent enough (or at all) anymore to have that mistake made.

Yeah, upspeak and vocal fry are the very worst when it comes to annoying speech patterns.

Back