• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did Trump insult widow of Niger GI?

From my view there's just not much controversy here:

1. Donald criticized for not calling the family of troops killed in Niger
2. Donald resorts to his normal "whataboutism" claiming prior presidents didn't call fallen soldiers' families either
3. Donald criticized for this.
4. White House/Kelly/someone decides Donald should call the families of the troops killed in Niger
5. Knowing Donald isn't great at this type of communication, Kelly tells Donald what to say and it likely sounded good given Kelly's background
6. Donald includes part of what Kelly said, but delivers it in his normal poor form and/or only includes part of Kelly's lines
7. An Congresswoman on the call, invited by the family, thinks Donald's comments were poor form and insensitive
8. Family believes they were poor form and insensitive
9. Donald claims I didn't say that, this is fake news.
10. Huckabee Sanders claims "he didn't say that, this is fake news"
11. JHMD says nobody with a brain could believe Donald actually said this.
12. White House confirms that Donald did say it
13. Kelly stands on the same podium Huckabee Sanders did 24 hours earlier and confirms Donald said it (Huckabee Sanders and Donald lied per usual) while criticizing the Congresswoman for politicizing this tragedy
14. JHMD dies on his hill, alongside emperor Donald.

Trump wasn't criticized for not calling the families, he was asked why he hadn't made any comments on what happened in Niger and responded with #2. This is entirely a debacle of his own making.

I do think it's relevant at this point that as far as we know, Trump has yet to apologize for offending the family. I'll give jh's point of view here the benefit of the doubt, but the fact remains that regardless of intent, Trump seems unwilling and/or unable to apologize for causing offense. He's unwilling to apologize for anything at all or admit any fault whatsoever. His only apology as far as I know was after he got caught bragging about sexual assault. It's indicative of his complete lack of any substantive character whatsoever. The dude is a total shitbag. You can admit that and still support the guy.

I don't think you can admit that someone is a total shitbag and still support him while being a decent human being (unless it's your kid or something like that)

to be crystal clear, Trump is absolutely a total shitbag

1. Trump never should have politicized the issue in the first place (tweets re: Obama not calling)
2. Trump should have taken Kelly's first advice and not called
3. Kelly's advice re: what to say was not pitch perfect for this situation
4. Trump took that imperfect advice and screwed it up in part because he genuinely can't be made to pay attention / care about anything nuanced like this long enough to get it right
5. Trump's well-deserved unpopular metrics make it such that the likelihood of him getting the benefit of the doubt is low (reinforcing #2 above)
6. Congresswoman was wrong to further politicize the issue, but for all we know the widow may have asked her to (I doubt it but possible)
7. Trump and Kelly should have already apologized to the family, publicly
8. If I were Kelly I might fly to meet with the widow with no press coverage if that is possible

Trump wasn't criticized for not calling the families, he was asked why he hadn't made any comments on what happened in Niger and responded with #2. This is entirely a debacle of his own making.

That's fair - I took the commentary that he did not make comments about Niger and tweets about him not calling the families as criticism, but you're right that they were just questions.

Pretty much this. On Pod Save America yesterday they made a good point. If he had simply responded to the question saying something along the lines of "every family of a fallen soldier deserves support and respect, and we are doing something...yada yada" (they said it better than I am here). That's it. End of story. But instead of defending what they've done, or apologizing or anything like that, he just tries to flip the script and blame someone else (or the "whataboutism" mentioned above).

On your theory, she's culturally appropriatin glam rock. Instance 12,436 why your theories flounder.

When you resort to snark, usually the criticism is well-founded. It's your tell.

In attack on Frederica Wilson over Trump’s call to widow, John Kelly gets facts wrong

And John Kelly apparently botched his attempted smear of the congresswoman, claiming that she bragged about getting the funding for an FBI building while he and the rest of the crowd were focused on respecting the men it was named after. The funds were appropriated before Wilson was in Congress, her bill had the building named after the fallen FBI agents.

When you resort to snark, usually the criticism is well-founded. It's your tell.

You agree with you, that much is clear. Your lack of curiosity as why voters don't is interesting.

I don't think you can admit that someone is a total shitbag and still support him while being a decent human being (unless it's your kid or something like that)

to be crystal clear, Trump is absolutely a total shitbag

Sure you can. Just clarify your priorities. If you value your investments which are doing great, just say that. If you value your conservative agenda being advanced at all costs, just say that.

You agree with you, that much is clear. Your lack of curiosity as why voters don't is interesting.

Doesn't really make sense (like many of the things you post) when you are talking about a Presidential election where the winning candidate lost the popular vote by 3 million. Most of the voting Americans did agree with me.

Is JHMD going to talk about the election for the rest of Donald's term?

And if so, are we then just in a perpetual state of "winners and losers" based on one presidential every four years? I find that troubling from a governance perspective, particularly given the current political state of presidential supremacy and the cult of personality surrounding most presidents (and especially the current one). As an aside, I find the elevation of the presidency and presidential politics over the past four decades or so very troubling.

funnily enough jh never talked about the election the previous 8 years.

"well gee golly if only my candidate had won I could then criticize President McCain/Romney's actions. but since neither did I have to sit here silently."

funnily enough jh never talked about the election the previous 8 years.

"well gee golly if only my candidate had won I could then criticize President McCain/Romney's actions. but since neither did I have to sit here silently."

Adding to the list of things you are wrong about, I talked about the 2008 election, but I also talked about the 2010, 2012 and 2014 elections. Obama won, fair and square. No Russians were harmed in the filming of the post mortem. Then he blew his capital on a health care plan/tax/not-tax/tax that cost him his political capital and helped deliver the House and Senate to opponents.

I gave up on this thread. This poor woman's husband died and she is really upset and was insulted and further hurt by the President. The President should apologize to that that woman for fucking up the phone call and move on with governing. That this discussion morphed into anything to with Hillary says a lot more about Hillary derangement syndrome than the initial event said anything about Trump derangement syndrome.

I gave up on this thread. This poor woman's husband died and she is really upset and was insulted and further hurt by the President. The President should apologize to that that woman for fucking up the phone call and move on with governing. That this discussion morphed into anything to with Hillary says a lot more about Hillary derangement syndrome than the initial event said anything about Trump derangement syndrome.

Maybe click on my link bird brain

You’re being lied to by the MSM

Back