• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Loyola Chicago Thread! KRUTWIG!

Ayo has a broken nose; return is uncertain.

They play Nebraska tonight, and don't need him in that one, but their last 3 games all on the road are brutal:

#13 Wisconsin
#3 Michigan
#7 tOSU

I can’t think of a thread that aged worse than this one.

Looking forward to rooting for Ayo at the next level.

This board would be tearing Ayo apart. He went 5-17 4 assists vs. 5 TOs.

Doubt we’d be tearing him apart if he was cutting a net down in a Wake jersey.

i will never change the thread title

this is a reminder of the shame of hubris

This is the blueprint for a turnaround...

Underwood came in and had a shitty first season, which included a loss to Wake Forest... 14-18, 4-14, KP#102 (worse than Groce's last season of 20-15, 8-10, KP#66).
Improved in year 2 (but only slightly)... 12-21, 7-13, KP#84
Over .500 in the B1G and would have had them in the tourney in year 3... 21-10, 13-7, KP#30
#1 seed and B1G Championship in year 4... 23-6, 16-4, KP#3

This is the blueprint for a turnaround...

Underwood came in and had a shitty first season, which included a loss to Wake Forest... 14-18, 4-14, KP#102 (worse than Groce's last season of 20-15, 8-10, KP#66).
Improved in year 2 (but only slightly)... 12-21, 7-13, KP#84
Over .500 in the B1G and would have had them in the tourney in year 3... 21-10, 13-7, KP#30
#1 seed and B1G Championship in year 4... 23-6, 16-4, KP#3

the roster is a perfect mix of experience and high-level talent

8-man rotation:

2 SR's
3 JR's including Ayo
1 SO/2 FR, all 3 top 50 players

the 9th man is a freshman big who presumably will step into many more minutes next year

Ayo continues to pile on us. 1st team AA

meanwhile Jaylen Hoard is averaging 9.7 PPG for the Oklahoma City Blue

Wonder how the Illini fanbase felt about Underwood after his first two years:

26-39 (11-35). Not even sniffing an NIT bid.

Groce had Illinois on the bubble in 2017, the year he was fired. Illinois is a rocket ship right now, but they even endured some major pains for two seasons. FWIW, even this year, I recall some grousing when Illinois started 5-3, including an early conference loss to Rutgers.

4 of Underwood's top 6 players in terms of minutes played in 2018-19 were underclassmen, and they stuck around for (at least) two more years to win the B1G

so, he may not have had buy-in from the fans, but he had it from his guys

Every time I see Illinois winning I think about this thread. Let us learn from this, comrades.

Have we ever been runner up for a national player of the year?

Doubt we’d be tearing him apart if he was cutting a net down in a Wake jersey.

He wouldn't be cutting down any nets at Wake because Danny Manning would still be our coach. I do think a nucleus of Ayo, Sarr, and Brown could probably have gotten us in the tournament this year, even under Manning.

He wouldn't be cutting down any nets at Wake because Danny Manning would still be our coach. I do think a nucleus of Ayo, Sarr, and Brown could probably have gotten us in the tournament this year, even under Manning.

Brown was in the portal before Manning was fired, and I question whether Ayo would have stayed this long under Manning

Back