Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Official Loyola Chicago Thread! KRUTWIG!

Dickie Hemric
    the way Danny can't seem to coach team basketball or managing games, indeed, does not even seem to be interested in doing so, I think the kid made the right decision in picking Illinois

this is what we have come to

Quote Originally Posted by sailordeac View Post
    the way Danny can't seem to coach team basketball or managing games, indeed, does not even seem to be interested in doing so, I think the kid made the right decision in picking Illinois

this is what we have come to
    Except that Illinois is 6 - 14 this season. I can't say I've watched more than 1 Illinois game this season, but Underwood obviously isn't doing so hot either.

Granted, their schedule has been much more difficult than ours, and they haven't lost to the likes of Houston Baptist.
    Last edited by Demonwolverine; 01-28-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Ayo coming back for year 2 to lead them to the promise land: https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/18/...ophomore-year/

Also finished 90 spots ahead of us in Kenpom this past season.

New thread title: Illinois LOL at Wake Forest official thread

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    He was listed higher than Hoard on mock drafts I saw.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    He was listed higher than Hoard on mock drafts I saw.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by netflixnchildres View Post
    Ayo coming back for year 2 to lead them to the promise land: https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/18/...ophomore-year/

Also finished 90 spots ahead of us in Kenpom this past season.

New thread title: Illinois LOL at Wake Forest official thread
    With ayo back and the recruiting class they have coming in, Illinois can get to the tourney next year.

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    Thread started on 10/20/17...

Illinois in the 3 seasons since then:
    2017-18: 14-18 (4-14) - KP#102
    2018-19: 12-21 (7-13) - KP#84
    2019-20: 15-5 (7-2) - KP#22

These are also the first 3 seasons of Brad Underwood. I guess they are ahead of schedule in Year 3?

To compare... Here's Wake Forest:
    2017-18: 11-20 (4-14) - KP#89
    2018-19: 11-20 (4-14) - KP#174
    2019-20: 9-10 (2-7) - KP#105 (Year 6 for Manning)

Two ships passing in the night back when we beat them on 11/28/17.

Coaching matters.

Thread title change to LOL at WF BBall thread?

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    Can't even really make fun of Mark Smith anymore...

After transferring to Mizzou:
    2018-19 (SO): 11.4ppg, 5.2rpg - 45.0% from 3
    2019-20 (JR): 11.4ppg, 4.4rpg - 38.4% from 3

We suck and it is depressing.

Wait, Illinois has a guy named Kofi Cockburn? And he's a freshman and already really good.

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/sta...61892140273664

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    Ayo coming back to Illinois for his JR season...

Still annoys me that we didn't land him, even though he clearly made the right decision.

He was one of those guys who was convinced he was 1-and-done before ever stepping foot on campus (see: Jaylen Hoard), yet Illinois is going to get 3 years out of him. Reminds me of what PhDeac said a while back (that I didn't necessarily agree with)... Something along the lines of the most successful programs are the ones that can keep their players around for an extra year.

COVID-19 obviously somewhat of a factor, but Ayo back to Illinois and Garza back to Iowa. B1G looking pretty good this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post

Still annoys me that we didn't land him, even though he clearly made the right decision.

He was one of those guys who was convinced he was 1-and-done before ever stepping foot on campus (see: Jaylen Hoard), yet Illinois is going to get 3 years out of him. Reminds me of what PhDeac said a while back (that I didn't necessarily agree with)... Something along the lines of the most successful programs are the ones that can keep their players around for an extra year.

COVID-19 obviously somewhat of a factor, but Ayo back to Illinois and Garza back to Iowa. B1G looking pretty good this year.
    And Cockburn coming back as well. Illinois a preseason top 10 team according to CBS Sports. Thread needs a title change...
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...rom-nba-draft/

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
    Thread title change to LOL at WF BBall thread?
    I haven't read/followed this thread but seeing it pop back up reminded of those days when several posters here were jealous that the Illini landed John Groce after being turned down by Shaka and Brad Stevens. Would he have been more successful at Wake? More successful than DFL? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacsATS View Post

What didnít you agree with?

Sam "Ace" Rothstein
    What didnít you agree with?
    We already discussed it, so no need to rehash... But I think I disagreed with your contention that it was a strategy for UNC (and others). I think luck has a lot to do with it. Ayo wanted to be a 1 and done and it just hasnít worked out... I donít think Underwood has done anything special to keep him for 3 years.

I think, in general, you just want the best talent (regardless of age/class). Bringing back borderline pros is one way to do that... No argument there.

Gotcha. I had forgotten the specifics. It's not a strategy per se. It's something good coaches are able to do better than other coaches.

Obviously you want to recruit the best players. But the coaches who are doing the best are able to rerecruit guys especially those prospects in that 50-100 group. And the worst coaches lose guys like Hoard, Crawford, and Moore who didn't even get drafted.

Ayo had 21 pts, 12 reb, 12 ast for #12 Illinois vs. #19 Wisconsin in a 75-60 win.
    Last edited by PhDeac; 02-06-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Ayo had 21 pts, 12 reb, 12 ast for #12 Illinois vs. #19 Wisconsin in a 75-60 win.
    Kid is a stone cold stud. Love the way he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsmed86 View Post
    Kid is a stone cold stud. Love the way he plays.
    yep

Ayo has a broken nose; return is uncertain.