• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Loyola Chicago Thread! KRUTWIG!

the way Danny can't seem to coach team basketball or managing games, indeed, does not even seem to be interested in doing so, I think the kid made the right decision in picking Illinois

this is what we have come to

the way Danny can't seem to coach team basketball or managing games, indeed, does not even seem to be interested in doing so, I think the kid made the right decision in picking Illinois

this is what we have come to

Except that Illinois is 6 - 14 this season. I can't say I've watched more than 1 Illinois game this season, but Underwood obviously isn't doing so hot either.

Granted, their schedule has been much more difficult than ours, and they haven't lost to the likes of Houston Baptist.

Last edited:
He was listed higher than Hoard on mock drafts I saw.

Thread started on 10/20/17...

Illinois in the 3 seasons since then:
2017-18: 14-18 (4-14) - KP#102
2018-19: 12-21 (7-13) - KP#84
2019-20: 15-5 (7-2) - KP#22

These are also the first 3 seasons of Brad Underwood. I guess they are ahead of schedule in Year 3?

To compare... Here's Wake Forest:
2017-18: 11-20 (4-14) - KP#89
2018-19: 11-20 (4-14) - KP#174
2019-20: 9-10 (2-7) - KP#105 (Year 6 for Manning)

Two ships passing in the night back when we beat them on 11/28/17.

Coaching matters.

Can't even really make fun of Mark Smith anymore...

After transferring to Mizzou:
2018-19 (SO): 11.4ppg, 5.2rpg - 45.0% from 3
2019-20 (JR): 11.4ppg, 4.4rpg - 38.4% from 3

We suck and it is depressing.

Ayo coming back to Illinois for his JR season...

Still annoys me that we didn't land him, even though he clearly made the right decision.

He was one of those guys who was convinced he was 1-and-done before ever stepping foot on campus (see: Jaylen Hoard), yet Illinois is going to get 3 years out of him. Reminds me of what PhDeac said a while back (that I didn't necessarily agree with)... Something along the lines of the most successful programs are the ones that can keep their players around for an extra year.

COVID-19 obviously somewhat of a factor, but Ayo back to Illinois and Garza back to Iowa. B1G looking pretty good this year.

Still annoys me that we didn't land him, even though he clearly made the right decision.

He was one of those guys who was convinced he was 1-and-done before ever stepping foot on campus (see: Jaylen Hoard), yet Illinois is going to get 3 years out of him. Reminds me of what PhDeac said a while back (that I didn't necessarily agree with)... Something along the lines of the most successful programs are the ones that can keep their players around for an extra year.

COVID-19 obviously somewhat of a factor, but Ayo back to Illinois and Garza back to Iowa. B1G looking pretty good this year.

And Cockburn coming back as well. Illinois a preseason top 10 team according to CBS Sports. Thread needs a title change...
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-illinois-surges-into-top-10-after-ayo-dosunmu-withdraws-from-nba-draft/

Thread title change to LOL at WF BBall thread?

I haven't read/followed this thread but seeing it pop back up reminded of those days when several posters here were jealous that the Illini landed John Groce after being turned down by Shaka and Brad Stevens. Would he have been more successful at Wake? More successful than DFL? Who knows.

What didn’t you agree with?

What didn’t you agree with?

We already discussed it, so no need to rehash... But I think I disagreed with your contention that it was a strategy for UNC (and others). I think luck has a lot to do with it. Ayo wanted to be a 1 and done and it just hasn’t worked out... I don’t think Underwood has done anything special to keep him for 3 years.

I think, in general, you just want the best talent (regardless of age/class). Bringing back borderline pros is one way to do that... No argument there.

Gotcha. I had forgotten the specifics. It's not a strategy per se. It's something good coaches are able to do better than other coaches.

Obviously you want to recruit the best players. But the coaches who are doing the best are able to rerecruit guys especially those prospects in that 50-100 group. And the worst coaches lose guys like Hoard, Crawford, and Moore who didn't even get drafted.

Ayo had 21 pts, 12 reb, 12 ast for #12 Illinois vs. #19 Wisconsin in a 75-60 win.

Last edited:
Back