• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Eligible immediately, does not lose a year of eligibility. (He is no different than Hoard/Wright etc. in that regard).

Source? Do you have good information on this or is your info speculation?

He is not like Hoard/Wright etc. in that he signed an LOI with NC State and plans to attend some other college in fall 2018. Hoard/Wright etc. signed LOI's to attend Wake Forest and as far as is known, will attend Wake Forest fall 2018. Bey signed an LOI to attend NC State in fall 2018, and has been given his release by NC State, and now plans to be attending a college not named NC State in fall 2018.

Hope he decides to be a Deac. It would certainly round out an intriguing incoming class. But the most intriguing thing will be the reactions on this board no matter what he decides. Can't wait for that to fill the summer. Something else to watch for besides the nail biting drama of college softball, Nascar, the WNBA, drone racing, cornhole championships, bowling, poker tournamnents, and "spike ball" (sic). Thank god the World Cup is on the way, even without the US. Go Iceland ! There's only so much "LeBron" a human can take.

He is not like Hoard/Wright etc. in that he signed an LOI with NC State and plans to attend some other college in fall 2018. Hoard/Wright etc. signed LOI's to attend Wake Forest and as far as is known, will attend Wake Forest fall 2018. Bey signed an LOI to attend NC State in fall 2018, and has been given his release by NC State, and now plans to be attending a college not named NC State in fall 2018.

The article said he was granted his full release ... not sure if that is what he is referencing.

The article said he was granted his full release ... not sure if that is what he is referencing.

Full release from NC State simply means that NC State did not put any restrictions on the player. Schools can give players restricted releases - can go anywhere except schools a, b and c....

I am still waiting to hear definitive information about his status with respect to players transferring between ACC schools.

Full release from NC State simply means that NC State did not put any restrictions on the player. Schools can give players restricted releases - can go anywhere except schools a, b and c....

I am still waiting to hear definitive information about his status with respect to players transferring between ACC schools.

My understanding of it is, that because he signed his NLI, to be eligible to play as a Freshman at an ACC school he would need to have a waiver from the ACC. Its at the discretion of the ACC to grant the waiver to an athlete like Bey. I would bet money that they would grant a waiver, because if they didn't some media outlet would crucify them for allowing coaches to change jobs at the drop of a hat, yet a player who never took a single class at one school can't change his mind and go to another school to become a student-athlete, even after a mutually agreed upon separation.

From 2019 target Jalen Lecque, who is also considering trying to go straight to the NBA in 2019:

“NC State, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Kansas, Kentucky and Duke,” he said regarding schools in the mix.
“All of the schools I would like to see, including Tennessee, Oregon, Kentucky, Duke and NC State pretty much.”

.... Lists us in the mix but not as a school he would like to see lol.

2019 target Omar Payne:

Payne says that he's wide open, doesn't have any visits planned and it will be until the summer before he starts to sort out which programs from the likes of Florida, Wake Forest, Florida State, UConn, Louisville, UCF, Clemson, Dayton, Texas, Georgia and others make his final cut.

2020 Top 100 PG Jalen Cone from Walkertown, NC:

Comparison: Nate Robinson

Why the comparison? There are only but so many NBA players to compare a 5-foot-9, super athletic, and aggressive high school point guards to so Cone fits the bill here. He is super quick off the dribble, can play above the rim if needed and is a guy who brings the juice and excites the crowd.

Recruiting: Ole Miss, UNC Greensboro, Virginia Tech have offered, N.C. State, Wake Forest and others watching close.

2021 SG A.J. Griffin:

NBA comparison: Adrian Griffin

Why the comparison? This one is easy because I'm comparing Griffin to his father -- who I saw play in the early 90's at Wichita (Kans.) East when he was a high schooler -- and not surprisingly the physical traits are almost identical. He's a big wing, skilled, plays within the flow of the game and is one of the best 2021 prospects I've seen so far.

Recruiting: Seton Hall, Maryland, Wake Forest, Providence and St. John's have all made early offers.

... side note I played against his HS when I was in HS, its a good all boys school in White Plains, NY and was home to former Duke commit Jordan Tucker as well as current Top 150 2019 SF Aundre Hyatt (who transferred to a school in VA recently).

Does Cone have an older brother? I remember us recruiting a player with the last name Cone a few years ago.

Unknown1.jpeg

From 2019 target Jalen Lecque, who is also considering trying to go straight to the NBA in 2019:

“NC State, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Kansas, Kentucky and Duke,” he said regarding schools in the mix.
“All of the schools I would like to see, including Tennessee, Oregon, Kentucky, Duke and NC State pretty much.”

.... Lists us in the mix but not as a school he would like to see lol.

Get him in to Wake. Then plays could be run in French. Lorng, Sarr, Hoard, Lecque, and Brandon C could find early use for that Wake foreign language requirement.

Is Bey's situation similar to Braxton Beverly's situation in transferring into NCSU? To answer myself - I guess it is sort of the same except without the special ACC rule on in-conference transfers...

Is Bey's situation similar to Braxton Beverly's situation in transferring into NCSU? To answer myself - I guess it is sort of the same except without the special ACC rule on in-conference transfers...

I believe Beverly actually attended classes at his previous school. Complicates things a bit.

If the kid hasn't played and gotten a full release, the transfer rule shouldn't apply.

If Bey is down to WF, BC and Vandy (two of which are ACC teams), that would indicate that he thinks he can play next year for an ACC school. While nothing is definite, given that State voluntarily released him from his ship, it seems unlikely that the ACC and/or State would keep Bey from playing at WF or BC next year because he signed an LOI which appears to have been revoked by mutual consent.

If Bey is down to WF, BC and Vandy (two of which are ACC teams), that would indicate that he thinks he can play next year for an ACC school. While nothing is definite, given that State voluntarily released him from his ship, it seems unlikely that the ACC and/or State would keep Bey from playing at WF or BC next year because he signed an LOI which appears to have been revoked by mutual consent.

I hope that is the case. No reason that he shouldn't be able to play given it was an amicable release from both sides. Who knows with the ACC though. Seems like he would have to get a waiver and at least from the NCSU side after the release, they did not think that the ACC would grant him one. Who knows how it will play out but the kid should be able to play wherever he wants next season.

Another scenario is that he has been told he will have to sit a year no matter where he goes and the lost year of eligibility is unimportant to him because he plans to go pro before he finishes four years.

Back