• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Per Les’ twitter, it seems that the ACC rule for transfers (which you can receive a waiver to be exempt from that is voted on by the coaches) Bey would’ve had to sit out two years and lost both those years of eligibility? If that’s the rule that’s criminal. Apparently the coach vote was “close” but they decided against giving him exemption. Really really fucked up situation for the kid.

So, the majority of coaches were worried about Wake's getting another good player? Maybe they don't want Danny coming back for 2019-2020.

Per Les’ twitter, it seems that the ACC rule for transfers (which you can receive a waiver to be exempt from that is voted on by the coaches) Bey would’ve had to sit out two years and lost both those years of eligibility? If that’s the rule that’s criminal. Apparently the coach vote was “close” but they decided against giving him exemption. Really really fucked up situation for the kid.

Small point of clarification - my understanding is that the vote is conducted with the "Faculty Athletic Representatives" from each school. I guess it's possible those representatives would have consulted the head coaches of the school's the represent.

My reading of the rule also seems to indicate there is no financial aid given in the first year, so the student-athlete would have to pay their own way in year one. Crazy.

You mean we have a mediocre year and lose our best player and still have another year of Manning as coach? Yeah. Rock bottom.

Small point of clarification - my understanding is that the vote is conducted with the "Faculty Athletic Representatives" from each school. I guess it's possible those representatives would have consulted the head coaches of the school's the represent.

My reading of the rule also seems to indicate there is no financial aid given in the first year, so the student-athlete would have to pay their own way in year one. Crazy.

Damn. It just keeps getting more outrageous. Thanks for all the info

So, the majority of coaches were worried about Wake's getting another good player? Maybe they don't want Danny coming back for 2019-2020.

Yes, I'm sure the ACC Coaches are fearful of what Manning is building at Wake.

I think they are. SOS is a major factor in getting tourney bids.

We'd have to give the player a full release. We could choose not to give it.

Bey was given a full and free release by State.

Your scenario is not the same.

I am assuming the idea is to not put the schools in the position of being the bad guy. State can seem like good guys with the "full release" and not have to worry about Bey lighting them up at a conference rival.

It's 1/9 that Wellman voted against us getting Bey.

There should be no vote. If the kid is given a full release, he/she can sign anywhere. It should be this simple.

It's 1/9 that Wellman voted against us getting Bey.

There should be no vote. If the kid is given a full release, he/she can sign anywhere. It should be this simple.

Yes. Particularly for kids who never actually enroll at the school.

I think there is a pretty big story here about how the ACC operates and the way rules like this effect student athletes and not coaches. Would love to see you expose this and then have it blow up nationally. This situation with Bey deserves a national debate about what are we really doing.

Bey is a great candidate for it. He's a good kid and came from a top academic HS.

I think there is a pretty big story here about how the ACC operates and the way rules like this effect student athletes and not coaches. Would love to see you expose this and then have it blow up nationally. This situation with Bey deserves a national debate about what are we really doing.

I am pretty sure these rules have been in place since at least the 90s, it’s a bit odd that we only started caring about this Bey kid. Looks to me like he will probably be fine, he’s gonna get a full ride to Vandy or Nova, in fact he might be better off in one those programs compared to Wake or BC right now.

I am pretty sure these rules have been in place since at least the 90s, it’s a bit odd that we only started caring about this Bey kid. Looks to me like he will probably be fine, he’s gonna get a full ride to Vandy or Nova, in fact he might be better off in one those programs compared to Wake or BC right now.

He probably will be, and I'm not worried he will find success somewhere. The story is about why the ACC has asinine practices like this. Player movement and coach movement is running rampant across the NCAA. Meanwhile a kid who never spent a single day in class at NC State nor spent a single day living in dorms cannot go to another ACC school after a mutual decision between him and NC State to part ways and leave his recruitment fully open.

Newest video of 2020 CG Jaden Springer from Rocky River HS in North Carolina. Consensus 5-star prospect, impact player for any program.

Back