• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Grad Transfers Ikenna Smart and Torry Johnson to Wake!

Seems like he’s a player whose rep hasn’t gotten out of the northeast until now.

I agree...This kid is going to get plenty of high major offers. I’m glad we are in early (Manning and staff just need to close). Good size, explosive, excellent first step. Looks as though his shot is adequate (but my guess is the mix tapes hide some pretty bad shooting nights,..he will need to clean it up some). But the kid is really physical. If you can get past the #mixtape you see a lot of usable skills. Comfortable dribbling and finishing with both hands. Has clearly had good instruction on getting his shoulder underneath the defender on the dribble drive. Finishes with jump stops or runners depending on the situation. Just a lot to like here. I’ll be shocked if his offer list doesn’t blow up this summer.

https://youtu.be/xRUs03fghog

It's generally good to not worry too much about rising senior recruit rankings until mid-summer into the fall, when the evaluators start to really focus on the class. There have been quite a few players that have gone from unranked to top 50 status.

However, admittedly, a majority of unranked players do end up as 3 star guys, #200+ so there's no guarantee either.

The first round of AAU events occurred already but I don't think any major service has updated their rankings based on those events yet.

It's generally good to not worry too much about rising senior recruit rankings until mid-summer into the fall, when the evaluators start to really focus on the class. There have been quite a few players that have gone from unranked to top 50 status.

However, admittedly, a majority of unranked players do end up as 3 star guys, #200+ so there's no guarantee either.

It's been really, really difficult these days to go from unranked to Top 50 after your junior year unless you are foreign player. This makes some sense in that most kids have been seen for several years and lot of the rankings are baked in.

It's been really, really difficult these days to go from unranked to Top 50 after your junior year unless you are foreign player. This makes some sense in that most kids have been seen for several years and lot of the rankings are baked in.

In the HS basketball world, northeast US is almost a foreign country.

In 2018, #3 Philly, #11/12 NJ, #15 NY, #22 NJ, #34 RI, #38 NJ. There are multiple players from Canada as well. Mo Bamba was from the Bronx.

Wenyen Gabriel, went from unranked to 5 star. Was unranked before the Spring AAU, moved into a fringe 3*/4* spot in the early Summer, then a solid top 75 4* in the late summer, and 5* in the Fall.

Wenyen Gabriel, went from unranked to 5 star. Was unranked before the Spring AAU, moved into a fringe 3*/4* spot in the early Summer, then a solid top 75 4* in the late summer, and 5* in the Fall.
I can't believe I'm defending RJ, but an exception does not a rule make.

That doesn't disprove my statement. I didn't say "impossible".

How many others that year? How many did it this year?

Is that the son of the Northwestern coach? ETA, apparently the Milwaukee coach now, so I'm assuming the answer is yes.

I played little league ball with his dad back in the day. Guy was an incredible athlete. Could throw rockets and hit homers from both sides of the plate in 7th grade. He went on to play hoops at Northwestern.

Is that the son of the Northwestern coach? ETA, apparently the Milwaukee coach now, so I'm assuming the answer is yes.

I played little league ball with his dad back in the day. Guy was an incredible athlete. Could throw rockets and hit homers from both sides of the plate in 7th grade. He went on to play hoops at Northwestern.

Google works still.

I should not have stated top 50 status, that was an erroneous addition to the discussion on my part and you are correct on that.

I meant to indicate that unranked recruits turn out to be decently ranked, high-major level guys with semi-regularity. I don't have the list handy but many players over the years have gone from not ranked/low 3 stars to top 100ish, 4* solid high-major contributor recruits, which is what originally spurred the conversation - whether the recently offered Ledlum could greatly move up over the summer periods.

I realistically don't even know why I'm defending this recruit. The odds are against him being one of the ones that jumps up in the rankings like mentioned above so it's a stupid hill to die on.

No worries. Maybe he becomes one of those lucky ones.

What level of AAU has he been playing?

Back