• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Not that Rutgers has much else going on for them right now, but talked to a guy close to RU and he said the staff pretty much went all-in on Massoud in the July period. He's the top guy on their board and they've been recruiting him forever. They're his last OV as well. The Mucius connection could be big though

I'm not sure those reasons really favor Wake. We have an assistant who just left after killing someone and a head coach who's less likely to be at Wake than Buzz is to be at VT.

So long as there's some truth in the reports that Harris and Davis may be a package and neither one cancels their OV to Wake, we have a fighting chance. My original point is that Harris has been 100% Crystal Balls for VT for some time. Any cracks in the Tech program can only help Wake and the other schools still on his list. I agree that Buzz will leave on his own schedule if he leaves B-burg at all in the next few years. It is a great place to go to school but a tough place to recruit to.

Manning and Co seemed to be really good at making the final 5 or 7 of recruits, but we just can't close the deal. There is no prize for being second in recruiting.

Manning and Co seemed to be really good at making the final 5 or 7 of recruits, but we just can't close the deal. There is no prize for being second in recruiting.

Chaundee and Jaylen.....the sky is not falling, but Manning does need to improve results.

That sounds pretty similar to how they perform in games too.

Nice form on the shot, high release, here is some video that isnt in 240p

That video was posted over a year ago (fuzzy on exact timeframe) and lauded as a great use of unique music (and an impressive mix for a Soph).

I’m all in. He seems like a quirky dude and I dig it.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - 5-star 2019 prospects Moore and Jackson-Davis set OVs

That’s reflective of a staff that has a knack for recruiting, but the recruits don’t quite trust the results on the floor yet. We landed a great class in 18 because we finally saw some results on the floor in 17. That’s why last years step back was so damaging. We didn’t have to make the tournament, we just needed to win 17-20 games with Collins and Dinos leaving. Instead we fell on our faces and now the staff is having to reset the recruiting cycle back a year or two and fight for legitimacy.

Just went back and read a bunch of pages from the 2k18 thread during summer 2017... The biggest difference between that thread and this one is the lack of WakeForestRanger. He was doing some serious work posting any time Wake hoops was mentioned with someone on Twitter... We don't have that going this year (which, I assume, is a Ranger thing and not a lack of Twitter mentions).

That video was posted over a year ago (fuzzy on exact timeframe) and lauded as a great use of unique music (and an impressive mix for a Soph).

I’m all in. He seems like a quirky dude and I dig it.

That's a fantastic mix tape.

That sounds pretty similar to how they perform in games too.

That’s reflective of a staff that has a knack for recruiting, but the recruits don’t quite trust the results on the floor yet. We landed a great class in 18 because we finally saw some results on the floor in 17. That’s why last years step back was so damaging. We didn’t have to make the tournament, we just needed to win 17-20 games with Collins and Dinos leaving. Instead we fell on our faces and now the staff is having to reset the recruiting cycle back a year or two and fight for legitimacy.

I think these posts will end up perfectly describing the Manning era at Wake. Close, but not quite. Missing out on Giles (and the prospects who might have joined him), blowing several late leads in 16-17 that likely put us in the 7 seed range if we hold on, losing everyone from the 14 and 15 classes before the 17 and 18 classes showed up ready to compete, etc.

If a couple of those break differently I think most people have a vastly different view of Manning, which isn’t something you could say about his predecessor. Unfortunately for Manning (and for us), all of those things were at least somewhat in his control and close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. If most of those things don’t break his way this season (both on the court and the recruiting trail) then he would be gone (if we had a competent AD).

Wake announcement of Wnnn joining the team from 8/16. No mention of Lorng. Lists Blake Buchanan as a new team member also (non-scholarship from Durham).

Aug. 16, 2018
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMBB)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Wake Forest men’s basketball team completed its 2018 recruiting class with the addition of guard Michael Wynn. A native of Albany, N.Y., the 6-6 Wynn played the last two seasons at Liberty Heights in Charlotte, N.C.

While at Liberty Heights, Wynn helped the school to the semifinals of the Grind Session World Championships. He averaged 22.5 points per game as a senior and was named to the 2017 All-Grind Session Team.

Prior to transferring to Liberty Heights, Wynn earned All-State honors in New York while at Christian Brothers Academy in Albany.

Wynn joins a freshman class that also includes Blake Buchanan, Jaylen Hoard, Isaiah Mucius, Jamie Lewis and Sharone Wright, Jr.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081618aaa.html

Wake can't mention Lorng until he either officially enrolls in school or signs an official NCAA LOI. With the rumors that he didn't have the academic credentials to get past Wake admissions, I don't expect to see him in Old Gold and Black. Even his post grad year at Hargrave couldn't do enough to fill in gaps from his time at the tiny HS in KY.

Wake announcement of Wnnn joining the team from 8/16. No mention of Lorng. Lists Blake Buchanan as a new team member also (non-scholarship from Durham).

Aug. 16, 2018
By Wake Forest Athletic Communications (@WakeMBB)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Wake Forest men’s basketball team completed its 2018 recruiting class with the addition of guard Michael Wynn. A native of Albany, N.Y., the 6-6 Wynn played the last two seasons at Liberty Heights in Charlotte, N.C.

While at Liberty Heights, Wynn helped the school to the semifinals of the Grind Session World Championships. He averaged 22.5 points per game as a senior and was named to the 2017 All-Grind Session Team.

Prior to transferring to Liberty Heights, Wynn earned All-State honors in New York while at Christian Brothers Academy in Albany.

Wynn joins a freshman class that also includes Blake Buchanan, Jaylen Hoard, Isaiah Mucius, Jamie Lewis and Sharone Wright, Jr.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081618aaa.html

I think it’s safe to assume at this point that Lorng isn’t coming. Which is probably for the best. Another big body to push Sarr in practice and compete for the backup C role would have been nice, but if we are ever at a point next year where we need him we are in deep trouble.

If Mucius can win a starting role then I actually really like our starting lineup, it’s what happens when Hoard or Sarr sit that concerns me the most.

I think these posts will end up perfectly describing the Manning era at Wake. Close, but not quite. Missing out on Giles (and the prospects who might have joined him), blowing several late leads in 16-17 that likely put us in the 7 seed range if we hold on, losing everyone from the 14 and 15 classes before the 17 and 18 classes showed up ready to compete, etc.

If a couple of those break differently I think most people have a vastly different view of Manning, which isn’t something you could say about his predecessor. Unfortunately for Manning (and for us), all of those things were at least somewhat in his control and close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. If most of those things don’t break his way this season (both on the court and the recruiting trail) then he would be gone (if we had a competent AD).

The only problem is that pesky narrative doesn't work as it relates to Hoard and Mucius, does it? BudatWake actually wrote that we just can't close the deal - one year after we closed the deal on our highest ranked recruit since Aminu and two years after we beat Kansas for Chaundee.

I get why there is a ton of anxiety around the program - recently culminating in our hottest youngest recruiter (who may not be all that as a court coach) most likely going down for punching a drunk in the face. But the facts don't necessarily backup the easy narrative many of you choose to paint.

Doesn't mean we have a young Coach K or even a young Coach Thompson which would seem to be Manning's ceiling (a great one), but it doesn't mean we have Bob Wade as coach either.

That’s reflective of a staff that has a knack for recruiting, but the recruits don’t quite trust the results on the floor yet.

I might suggest that it's reflective of a staff making a living off of having an NBA veteran as head coach, while working at an ACC school with exceptional facilities/budgets/support, but that continues to make the same mistakes, failing at actually coaching players to win games over less talented teams even after years and years spent trying.

I feel like it's a little late in the game to talk about recruits not quite trusting the results on the floor yet. We're moving into year 5, not year 2 or 3.

Last edited:
Wake can't mention Lorng until he either officially enrolls in school or signs an official NCAA LOI. With the rumors that he didn't have the academic credentials to get past Wake admissions, I don't expect to see him in Old Gold and Black. Even his post grad year at Hargrave couldn't do enough to fill in gaps from his time at the tiny HS in KY.

There's an online high school down here in Charlotte that can make those problems go away for him.

Back