• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

From talking with a National recruiting #insider it appears THT was set to go to Illinois and Ayo’s family really did block it. Amazing anti-recruiting there.

THT was getting a massive run of crystal balls in favor of Illinois the last three days, from leading experts too.

And then it apparently reversed itself to ISU in the last few hours.

This is an absolute shit-ton of drama. The Mac Irvin Fire, Chin Coleman, Dosunmu family drama appears to be real.

Last edited:
Is this for real? Why would any self respecting coach allow any recruit to influence whether he recruits another kid? That has to be the most ridiculous recruiting strategy I have ever heard of, if true

the rumor is once it became common knowledge that THT wanted to commit to illinois, ayo and his family told the staff that ayo would decommit if they took a commitment from THT. you do the math.

Just saw a tweet saying THT “verballed” (told them prior to announcement) to Illinois but Ayo family found out and gave them the ultimatum of “choose between me and him” holy shit

the rumor is once it became common knowledge that THT wanted to commit to illinois, ayo and his family told the staff that ayo would decommit if they took a commitment from THT. you do the math.

I also think Ayo made his announcement when he did. Basically to mark Illinois as his territory once word got out that THT would be taking an official there that weekend.

i mean the level to which ayo and fam screwed over illinois is hilarious. they were always going to commit there yet he waited until late in the cycle to generate as much attention on the process as possible but hurting illinois with target after target. then he finally commits and blocks the first whiff of recruiting momentum when another decent player wants to commit in a pretty unheard of way. nuts.

Really tough choice there for Illinois between a top 100 recruit and not top 100 recruit.

as a coach you really should be calling that bluff instead of getting bullied around by a family. he's not that good. they wanted to be close and go to all the games. they wanted illinois. they are gonna be a pain in underwood's ass as long as ayo is there.

I'm sure this kind of thing will do wonders for Illinois' team chemistry, assuming they even have enough scholarship players to field a team anymore.

Ayo's parents sound like some winners.

Just saw a tweet saying THT “verballed” (told them prior to announcement) to Illinois but Ayo family found out and gave them the ultimatum of “choose between me and him” holy shit

Doesn’t sound we may have dodged a bullet.

Really tough choice there for Illinois between a top 100 recruit and not top 100 recruit.

It's more so the principle. He shouldn't have to choose one or the other. Can you imagine Underwood calling THT today and telling him that he no longer has an offer. Woof.

dunno, they were on the same AAU team and THT left for another AAU team because of said beef. it extends to the family of each apparently but THT and fam were ready to put it aside and play with Ayo but not vice versa.

So Illinois is paying a coach a couple million and letting an 18 year old run recruiting. Makes sense.

What a shit show. Ayo should "run away from home" and get out from underneath the thumb of Quam and the mom. Manning and co would really be good role models for the dude.

May not be so cut and dried. One year of a Prima Donna with eyes only for the Association or 4 years of a good player that may give a more sustained boost to the program.

I still am not convinced that Childress as a senior would be behind Ayo as a freshman. Four years of maturation and coaching can make up a lot of ground. Unless the one year player is really all that, you are getting a guy that is still learning and will make a bunch of mistakes.

Back