• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Per Twitter, Ish Massoud played really well at the Empire Invite, scoring 26 points, earning MVP, and beating the #5 team in the country. The game featured two top 15 players plus other top players committed to UConn and Villanova.

Per Twitter, Ish Massoud played really well at the Empire Invite, scoring 26 points, earning MVP, and beating the #5 team in the country. The game featured two top 15 players plus other top players committed to UConn and Villanova.

Actually #4 team in the country Ranney from NJ. It features 5 star Villanova commit Bryan Antoine and 5 star Florida commits Scottie Lewis. Massoud had 26 points and 9 rebounds in the game.

Actually #4 team in the country Ranney from NJ. It features 5 star Villanova commit Bryan Antoine and 5 star Florida commits Scottie Lewis. Massoud had 26 points and 9 rebounds in the game.

I hope we can hold onto him - and our current freshmen - in the midst of our upcoming coaching change. I like the idea of a coach other than Danny Manning running a lineup of Wright/Brown/Massoud/Hoard with Wynn and White coming off of the bench.

Yep. With a good coach, we could actually be a pretty quick turn around. We are lacking in the low post and probably won’t have a great point guard. However, we could have a lot of talent on the wings. The game is moving away from classic centers, so that may not be such a big deal. It could come down to having an effective lead guard. And teaching a group that has never played great defense to do so.

Did Cole Anthony commit after his official visit last week?

Thought I might have missed it in all of the excitement around the Duke & Miami games.

Not Wake related (though I would love to somehow poach this kid from ECU), but what's the deal with Jayden Gardner? He was an unranked recruit from Wake Forest, NC, had a very productive high school career, and only had an offer from ECU? He is now a freshman and put up 35 pts 20 rebs against UCF and is averaging 20 and 10 so far. Does anyone know why he was so under-the-radar?

Not Wake related (though I would love to somehow poach this kid from ECU), but what's the deal with Jayden Gardner? He was an unranked recruit from Wake Forest, NC, had a very productive high school career, and only had an offer from ECU? He is now a freshman and put up 35 pts 20 rebs against UCF and is averaging 20 and 10 so far. Does anyone know why he was so under-the-radar?

Because he is a 6'6 Power Forward who plays below the rim. Wasn't known as a stretch 4 either.

Because he is a 6'6 Power Forward who plays below the rim. Wasn't known as a stretch 4 either.

Is that why? It seems like a pretty big miss for a lot of NC schools. NC schools also recently whiffed on Ky Bowman and Jerome Robinson. I think college basketball coaches would do well to focus much more on productivity rather than measurables. Similar to how Clawson recognized Dortch's productivity, or Grobe recognized Whitlock's productivity.

Is that why? It seems like a pretty big miss for a lot of NC schools. NC schools also recently whiffed on Ky Bowman and Jerome Robinson. I think college basketball coaches would do well to focus much more on productivity rather than measurables. Similar to how Clawson recognized Dortch's productivity, or Grobe recognized Whitlock's productivity.

Isn't that how we wound up with 6'8" Devin Thomas playing center for four years ?

Isn't that how we wound up with 6'8" Devin Thomas playing center for four years ?

No, not focusing on it is how we ended up with 4 years of Ty Walker.

Devin Thomas wasn't our problem those 4 years, it was our lack of any other support for Devin Thomas. He would have been a great 4th or 5th option on a solid team - a guy that could focus on rebounding and put backs. Instead, he had to be the focal point of the offense.

Hoard has contributed but surely has not been exciting.

Hoard has disappeared for stretches in games. Some of them pretty long. Could be bad schemes or him being well covered off the ball. Either is not good.

Hoard has disappeared for stretches in games. Some of them pretty long. Could be bad schemes or him being well covered off the ball. Either is not good.

We have schemes? I thought the offense was get offensive rebounds, create points, force the refs to make calls and shoot free throws.

Back