• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Really tough choice there for Illinois between a top 100 recruit and not top 100 recruit.

Rivals has THT at #54 overall. Getting that guy for 4 years has to be worth considering over a kid with hopes of being around for only one season.

Rivals has THT at #54 overall. Getting that guy for 4 years has to be worth considering over a kid with hopes of being around for only one season.

Plus not letting other people push you around, looking like a huge pussy, and not pissing off the Simeon program. I have to think if Illinois already had a couple other good recruits committed they wouldn't stand for that bullshit. But finally got a guy, who was their number one target, and weren't going to call his bluff. Losers.

All the Wake retweets made the threat of Ayo decommitting seem serious.

So who is Ayo going to get to go to Illinois?

What's weird is that ESPN doesn't have THT in their Top 100.

The more this saga continues it seems that Ayo may not want to have good teammates. If his goal is to make the league in a year perhaps his group feels the best way is to have a bad surrounding cast so he plays 35 minutes a night? I don't know. It's so weird. The THT offer pull is very legit according to everything I have read (and pretty much the entire Illinois fan base concedes that is what happened) so you have to make some conclusions based on Ayo's actions.

1. Clear that he wanted to go to Illinois yet still chose to drag out the proceeds thus killing momentum on a lot of other good potential teammates

2. Finally commits before a top 100 recruit visits but then forces Illinois to pull the offer over personal differences.

THT and Ayo would have been a great start to a class. Now They will be left scrambling Ayo is going to get minutes though, but they are gonna suck. Perhaps that was the plan all along.

This all makes more sense in the context of this THT mess. He wasn't trolling us. He was leveraging us.

Kinda weird that our thing now is that we're legitimately and sincerely grateful for missing out on 5-star recruits.

Also, what's the reason why Ayo hates that dude so much? Did Ayo walk in on him doing a vertical 69 with Ayo's mom?

Kinda weird that our thing now is that we're legitimately and sincerely grateful for missing out on 5-star recruits.

More like "glad we missed out on a 5 star recruits parents." They come across really poorly in this. Feel for the kid.

I would still take Ayo if he decommitted :cool: It is just a weird situation. Illinois has swung and missed on so many recruits and now they finally have one ready to join Ayo and the family black-balls the kid.

Let's start to keep the Ayo stuff out of this thread. He's not coming, especially with the move his dad and the Irvins just pulled. People are bumping the old thread and there's the Illinois thread with discussion on this too.

Keep this one to focus on guys who might still come in the future.

Last edited:
I would still take Ayo if he decommitted :cool: It is just a weird situation. Illinois has swung and missed on so many recruits and now they finally have one ready to join Ayo and the family black-balls the kid.

Wrangor, what’s your take on how this affects the Illini coaching staff going forward? I gotta believe this sideshow can be used against them in the future in recruiting circles. Pulling a kid’s offer due to the pressure applied from another recruit’s family (if true) can’t be a good look.

Wrangor, what’s your take on how this affects the Illini coaching staff going forward? I gotta believe this sideshow can be used against them in the future in recruiting circles. Pulling a kid’s offer due to the pressure applied from another recruit’s family (if true) can’t be a good look.

Especially a local kid. Definitely isn't going to help the local pipeline.

I wouldn't throw Ayo under the bus. Or his parents. It sounds like it was THT who left Ayo's AAU team because he didn't think Ayo was giving him the ball enough. This makes sense on THT's part because he is playing for a Power 5 scholly and he's a fringe offer at that point. But from Ayo's perspective, he left that team high and dry. So, I don't think you can simply argue that Ayo is okay playing for an awful team as long as he is featured. I think you CAN argue he wants to be featured on a team and would prefer to win. I think it is fair to say, he IS playing to get to the league as fast as possible and being one of 3 or 4 5star players on a top 10 team with potentially a 4year starting PG coming back was a risk he was not willing to take - even if he was going to "get his turn" in year 2 on.

It also seems likely that the parents had some beef on the sidelines in AAU ball as THT was frustrated with his looks/touches/opportunity. Apparently, it seems it was a good move for THT as he did earn his Power 5 scholly.

We would have been fine if we got him. If he's as good as he thinks he is he would have had not problem getting 30+ minutes a game with Crawford gone to the pros. And he would have gotten more attention than he's ever going to get at Illinois. Illinois is going to be picking up JUCOs and former baseball players to fill out their roster.

What's weird is that ESPN doesn't have THT in their Top 100.

ESPN is notorious for being brutally late with their updates.

One of the reasons THT left his previous AAU team was to get more exposure, and he did exactly that. Kind of feel bad for him in this whole situation, tbh.

Look for a commitment in the next 5-10 days. I really can't see our staff not landing another 2018 PG and wanting him to be in the fold sooner rather than later.

As mentioned, I fully anticipate Crawford leaving after this season. If he does, that leaves us with only 1 proven ball handler in B-Chill. Going to need to get another true PG. I prefer this route versus the grad transfer route.

Last edited:
Back