• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Why is Crawford leaving the most likely scenario?

In the past four NBA drafts, the greatest number of juniors taken in the first round has been four (in 2015). The most number of greatest number of juniors drafted at all has been nine (in 2014).

I love Crawford, and think he's a really, really good college player, but don't think it's a given that he's top 10 in his class right now. He's in the conversation, but I wouldn't look at it like a foregone conclusion.

In the past four NBA drafts, the greatest number of juniors taken in the first round has been four (in 2015). The most number of greatest number of juniors drafted at all has been nine (in 2014).

I love Crawford, and think he's a really, really good college player, but don't think it's a given that he's top 10 in his class right now. He's in the conversation, but I wouldn't look at it like a foregone conclusion.

I think the theory is that Crawford won’t improve his professional prospects by playing his senior year. Am addiotional year won’t get him any higher in the draft so why not go now.

More players leave early than could be drafted.

Crawford’s career is more likely overseas than in the NBA. Much like the Lacey kid at state a few years ago, turning pro is not solely about the NBA.

Crawford’s career is more likely overseas than in the NBA. Much like the Lacey kid at state a few years ago, turning pro is not solely about the NBA.

The Lacey kid would have been 24 years old when his senior year started and had already spent four years in college (using that term loosely). I'd hope Crawford would prefer to stick at Wake and get his degree rather than spend a year playing for Lokomotiv Kuban in beautiful Krasnodar, home of the Russian cannibal family

This isn't really relevant. Last year's frosh class was one of the deepest in at least a decade. So, those numbers are going to be skewed. It's not about where Bryant is in his class. It's about where he is at his position. Last year was as loaded at PG as any I can remember. This year is nowhere nearly as strong. With a good year, Bryant could be in the Top 5-7 PGs coming out this year.

If Crawford has a massive POY type season (which I think he could) he likely, and should go into the draft. I think he will place his name in regardless of whether he has a great or just a good season to find out where he stands.. Whether he does or does not go after his Junior year, we need a PG who would have one year in the system to back up Brandon for 19 and putting a Sophomore would be preferable to a freshman IMO. This is why I think we should all get ready to accept having Jamie Lewis on board by the early signing period.

Since some think we have Anthony Harris in the bag, if we are looking at a PG this year, we should wait until Spring unless one of the decommits drops out of the sky. Many things could shake out by then.

I think the theory is that Crawford won’t improve his professional prospects by playing his senior year. Am addiotional year won’t get him any higher in the draft so why not go now.

Except this rarely happens. Most juniors return for their senior year unless they have a decent shot at being drafted, or if there are extenuating circumstances that are pushing them out of school.

By the same logic - players like Eric Williams and Justin Gray would go pro after their junior year. They test the water, sure, but generally return to school when they realize they aren't going to be drafted.

Last edited:
Since some think we have Anthony Harris in the bag, if we are looking at a PG this year, we should wait until Spring unless one of the decommits drops out of the sky. Many things could shake out by then.

I am not telling you here what my preference may be but what is very likely to happen

If Crawford has a massive POY type season (which I think he could) he likely, and should go into the draft. I think he will place his name in regardless of whether he has a great or just a good season to find out where he stands.. Whether he does or does not go after his Junior year, we need a PG who would have one year in the system to back up Brandon for 19 and putting a Sophomore would be preferable to a freshman IMO. This is why I think we should all get ready to accept having Jamie Lewis on board by the early signing period.

I could live with Lewis, although I agree with RJ that I'd rather wait for potential spring decommits, especially given the scandal going on.

We definitely won't get 2 of those and very unlikely we get the third either, just the facts maam (if you are of the female persuasion)

Apart from Harris, who are realistic targets for '19?

There seem to be enough posters on this board who have established at least some credibility that think Crawford is very likely not to return for me to believe that is what will happen, even if it seems unusual.

What is the analysis of Lewis? Is he that different than say, Devoe?

Lewis? He’s very special. Physically, he looks the part of a 20-22 year old at 6-4, 220. It’s unfair for me to do it but I compare him to Jason Kidd.

Lewis? He’s very special. Physically, he looks the part of a 20-22 year old at 6-4, 220. It’s unfair for me to do it but I compare him to Jason Kidd.

LOL, good one.

Lewis was highly ranked (top 30 by one service) a year and a half ago but has injury problems until very recently. He is a physical, athletic guard who, while not a speedster, can get to the basket at will, also has become better as a facilitator too from what I was told. He transferred to Findlay Prep in order to play against top flight competition like he would see in College but doesn't start their season until Nov 3rd. He can hit the open shots but is not known as a great shooter from distance and needs to develop more of a mid range game to complement his 3's and his finishes at the basket. He would not be an immediate impact player as a frosh but he is talented and could really help by his Sophomore season at the least. Someone ( a coach) told me several college coaches had gone out to Nevada to watch him in an open gym setting and came away impressed. While healthy early on, he had offers from Ga., GT, Florida, NCState, Virginia, Kansas, Baylor and now Wake Forest, but some of those offers are no longer available because of schools getting their guys committed already. I would look for some schools (including Wake) to get an official visit soon in November and for him to sign early shortly thereafter

Sounds like another Shelton Mitchell

Last edited:
What's the background on why we think we have Harris in the bag again?

It appears that Illinois fans have already given up on THT lol

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Under Construction #VIBES

What's the background on why we think we have Harris in the bag again?

We hired his AAU coach as an assistant coach. Apparently that works.

Last edited:

Love his game....reminds me of Teague. Plays at a different level, and can really finish in the lane. Shot is a bit of a push shot, so he won't be a big time shooter, but he does look like a knock down shooter when open (similar to Teague). Just really enjoyed watching his creativity in the lane.

Back