• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

At this point, I think we can fully expect every recruit Mannikin takes *WILL BE* unranked or +300 ranked.

And the saddest part? It didn't have to be this way if some damn one with influence had some nerve.

Even sadder is... I'm not being snarky; this is my solid, honest take. Hopefully in 6 to twelve months this debacle will be over.

At this point, I think we can fully expect every recruit Mannikin takes *WILL BE* unranked or +300 ranked.

And the saddest part? It didn't have to be this way if some damn one with influence had some nerve.

Even sadder is... I'm not being snarky; this is my solid, honest take. Hopefully in 6 to twelve months this debacle will be over.

It sucks for the kids, too, because whoever gets the job after 6-12 months isn’t going to want a roster filled with unranked guards.

All of that because Duke and others showed a little interest in a bench warmer spot? And then all that was left after Duke rejected him a 2nd time was ole ECU? I'm thinking his coach is to blame here. Dude was enjoying the attention. He actually hung up the phone on Les when he was trying to get info about when Coleman would sign.

it's gotta be tough for Manning to go head-to-head with Raphael Chillious for a recruit.

Can we put to rest the myth that Danny Manning is a good recruiter?

I don't remember whether it was on this board or 247, but someone actually made the argument that the late interest from Duke on Coleman was evidence that Manning is a good recruiter who recognizes unheralded talent. Guess not.

Last edited:
he ....uhhh... misspelled the word "one" as in I can only pick one school (to be fair, it was probably just a typo but come on)
Good luck to the kid....he made a smart decision to not get tied down to a flaming dumpster and hopefully has a nice career at ECU.

he ....uhhh... misspelled the word "one" as in I can only pick one school (to be fair, it was probably just a typo but come on)
Good luck to the kid....he made a smart decision to not get tied down to a flaming dumpster and hopefully has a nice career at ECU.

Yeah, maybe he's the next Blue Edwards.

RJs dad is a similar looney toon to LaMelo Ball's dad. Hampton reclassed for 2019, and now has instead decided to go play in Australia: https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/05/28/r-j-hampton-opts-to-play-overseas/

Honestly though, he's not wrong. Besides it not being the norm, playing in a lower level Pro league seems like it should be a better way to learn the game than playing in college. It will take a few more successes of players taking this path, but I could see it becoming a legitimate path, especially if NCAA basketball ends up taking a big hit from the FBI investigations.

[FONT=&quot]Hampton’s father,[/FONT] Rod Hampton[FONT=&quot], spoke with [/FONT]247Sports[FONT=&quot] regarding his son’s decision.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“The decision to play in New Zealand is intended to prepare him for the NBA,” he said. “It’s never been a dream of his to play college basketball, it’s been a dream of his to use college basketball as a vehicle to get to the NBA. … He’s playing against grown men. He’s learning how to practice like a [/FONT]pro,[FONT=&quot] and learning how to do everything like a pro and I just think those options outweigh going to college.”
[/FONT]

Honestly though, he's not wrong. Besides it not being the norm, playing in a lower level Pro league seems like it should be a better way to learn the game than playing in college. It will take a few more successes of players taking this path, but I could see it becoming a legitimate path, especially if NCAA basketball ends up taking a big hit from the FBI investigations.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

He says all that now, but the truth was they wanted RJ to go to college and RJ was scared off by facing competition from guys not leaving for the NBA. He reclassified for college, they spent months talking about what schools would give him the best opportunity for playing time with good teammates. RJ wants to play right away and be a star and he wasn't guaranteed that with any of his top 5 choices. He is part of the upcoming group of beta ballers who feel the need to team up with other stars like LeBron does, instead of carving their own path/earning it like Kawhi or Giannis. When all the pieces they want are not in place for them to succeed and look good, they bolt. This is why Jordan is the GOAT.

Yeah, I don't know anything about RJ or his dad. Just wouldn't be surprised to see a shift away from college ball for the top high schoolers.

Back