• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xPf2BmbLeGo" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In case the Embed doesn't work, here is youtube link

https://youtu.be/xPf2BmbLeGo

Guy has a pretty sweet 3 point shot. Release is a little low but he is smooth.

Yeah but he is white! Means if he is really any good at all he will go to Duke or Notre Dame.

Weird seeing a recruit from upstate NY, and my hometown no less, getting some Wake Forest love. I'm not sure about their classification 20+ years later, but they never played any big high schools when I was growing up there. They would occasionally play a top tier team and get slaughtered. They are more known for their hockey team and success as they are a very private and fairly exclusive military academy. Not sure if this one is much to get excited about, but hopefully the kid is legit and the Academy is now a "Class A" (we used to have A,B,C,D etc. not 7A and all that jazz) juggernaut.

ETA: can we get in with Hamier Wright too please??

Edit of the edit: Darn it, looks like an early commit to UWash. Good for him! Hope he succeeds. Can't believe Academy of Holy Names is putting kids into P5 D1 conferences now. My how the times have changed. Think we had three (apologies to Greg Koubek of Duke), maybe four, P5 conference recruits who actually played serious minutes between 1980 and 2000 that came out of the Capital District. And one of those four I ended up in prison. The other, sadly died several years ago, much much too young. God bless you Todd Holloway. We'll never forget. RIP

And seems like Danny has a definite soft spot for a smooth lefty lankster who can stroke it.

Last edited:
That Mahoney kid's release is WAY too low. Looks like a 6th grader shooting. That guy's a serious prospect? He has NO chance to get a shot off anywhere except wide open 3s.

Not sure how much Mahoney's game and shot mechanics have progressed, but after doing some digging it looks like Albany Academy has a legit top-flight program in the area (Section 2 / upstate NY north of Newburgh and east of Utica-ish?) in which they must recruit talent and then compete for titles as they have won the NYS Federation Title as recently as 2016 and I believe went to the final in 2017 (won the Class A, but lost the AA title to Long Island Lutheran?) on the strength of that Wright kid mentioned above, Mahoney and one other strong D1 level player.

So could be that this kid is coming into his own and expanding his game. I'll keep digging. We shall see.

ETA: Mahoney was on the All-Tourney Team which includes potential players from downstate / NYC teams:

All-Tournament Team
Gerald Drumgoole, Irondequoit
Brandon Abrams, Monsignor Farrell
Louis Florimon, Walton Campus
Derek Smith, Walton Campus
August Mahoney, Albany Academy

MVP Hameir Wright, Albany Academy

Also, looking at their 2017/18 sked, it is a damn good sked in which they play every big school in upstate NY along with some downstate schools including the defending LI Lutheran defending champs twice, and a national Xmas Tourney down in Myrtle Beach. Interesting. Might have to keep an eye on this kid. He's only a junior.

Last edited:
4-star 2019 combo-guard Grant Sherfield committed to UCLA.

You're just jealous nothing cool happens when you're on vacation.

It's pretty amazing to see that some of the 2019 recruits are committing when the 2018 recruits haven't even hit early signing date.

It's pretty amazing to see that some of the 2019 recruits are committing when the 2018 recruits haven't even hit early signing date.

I don't really see the downside if you have an offer from a top school that you want to attend.

With just a little above average coach and recruiter, there's no reason for UCLA not to get Top 10 recruiting classes every year. The campus is really cool, lots of beautiful coeds, a few minutes from the beach, great arena, really close to a cool city but in completely separate village, great weather.

You are almost on island filled with college kids.

Not sure how much Mahoney's game and shot mechanics have progressed, but after doing some digging it looks like Albany Academy has a legit top-flight program in the area (Section 2 / upstate NY north of Newburgh and east of Utica-ish?) in which they must recruit talent and then compete for titles as they have won the NYS Federation Title as recently as 2016 and I believe went to the final in 2017 (won the Class A, but lost the AA title to Long Island Lutheran?) on the strength of that Wright kid mentioned above, Mahoney and one other strong D1 level player.

So could be that this kid is coming into his own and expanding his game. I'll keep digging. We shall see.

ETA: Mahoney was on the All-Tourney Team which includes potential players from downstate / NYC teams:

All-Tournament Team
Gerald Drumgoole, Irondequoit
Brandon Abrams, Monsignor Farrell
Louis Florimon, Walton Campus
Derek Smith, Walton Campus
August Mahoney, Albany Academy

MVP Hameir Wright, Albany Academy

Also, looking at their 2017/18 sked, it is a damn good sked in which they play every big school in upstate NY along with some downstate schools including the defending LI Lutheran defending champs twice, and a national Xmas Tourney down in Myrtle Beach. Interesting. Might have to keep an eye on this kid. He's only a junior.

I graduated from Albany Academy in 2007 and Wake from 2011 so this is great to see. AA was essentially kicked out of Section 2 because they wanted to play more games than Section 2 allows. Now they are independent and usually play 3 or 4 tournaments across the country in addition to the top Public/Private schools in NY, who will actually schedule them. Two years ago they were trying to schedule some of the better local Publics, including your Shenendehowa alma mater, but the schools weren't interested in playing AA for whatever political BS reason.

This kid plays for the City Rocks AAU program which plays in Division B of the EYBL. The City Rocks produced Jimmer Fredette who we all know and Talor Battle who played at Penn State, not to mention Tobias Harris who is now tearing up the pros. I'll do some more digging, it will be interesting to see how much more interest he draws during Junior/Senior year AAU circuit time and this year now that he is the premier scorer on his HS team.

With just a little above average coach and recruiter, there's no reason for UCLA not to get Top 10 recruiting classes every year. The campus is really cool, lots of beautiful coeds, a few minutes from the beach, great arena, really close to a cool city but in completely separate village, great weather.

You are almost on island filled with college kids.

I guess they‘ve never been able to find a little above average football coach and recruiter.

I guess they‘ve never been able to find a little above average football coach and recruiter.

They've won a few times. Pete Dalis really screwed them up. As AD he was jealous of the coaches being paid more than he was and getting more press.

Back