• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Dennis Smith & NCSU also a good example. Gottfried got fired after that season and Keatts took over. Profit.

Ideally, we'd fire Manning now and hire someone awesome. I understand that. I'm not (that) dense.

Yeah. He is and it was a dumb trade. But people aren’t saying they traded Luka for Tractor Trae Young yet. Young is a solid player. If I’m the Hawks, I think about it like this. Young could end up being a top 5 player from this class. At worst he’s probably 15-20. In the last draft, we got a top 5 player in the 2017 class in the mid-first. So I broke even with no likely busts.

Next year they will likely have a top 5 pick and the Mavs lottery pick. If they hit with those picks, they can start trying to win and resign Collins.

Of course I remember it. I also remember Ben Simmons at LSU. Putting aside the fact that Wake Forest w/ Cole Anthony would be better than those two teams, are they really cautionary tales?

Romar got fired from Washington after the Fultz season and they are MUCH better now w/ Mike Hopkins at the helm.

Jones inexplicably got one more year at LSU after Simmons (and the wheels fell off)... Now they have Will Wade and a stacked roster.

I am NOT saying we should keep Manning around if it means we somehow land Anthony... I'm just saying it seems really weird to not want the best player in the country to attend your school. Assuming zero roster turnover (not likely) and Manning still coaching (also not likely), I think we'd be pretty good w/ Anthony, Hoard, Brown, Mucius, Wright, & Massoud. Could probably even attract a decent grad transfer big.

I wonder if Hopkins' contract bars him from signing with UCLA. He'd get an immediate pipeline from his friend Gary McKnight at Mater Dei.

The Hawks were probably thinking about the last time they passed on a point guard that tore it up in college but looked like he might lack the size and strength to succeed in the NBA...

Of course I remember it. I also remember Ben Simmons at LSU. Putting aside the fact that Wake Forest w/ Cole Anthony would be better than those two teams, are they really cautionary tales?

Romar got fired from Washington after the Fultz season and they are MUCH better now w/ Mike Hopkins at the helm.

Jones inexplicably got one more year at LSU after Simmons (and the wheels fell off)... Now they have Will Wade and a stacked roster.

I am NOT saying we should keep Manning around if it means we somehow land Anthony... I'm just saying it seems really weird to not want the best player in the country to attend your school. Assuming zero roster turnover (not likely) and Manning still coaching (also not likely), I think we'd be pretty good w/ Anthony, Hoard, Brown, Mucius, Wright, & Massoud. Could probably even attract a decent grad transfer big.

Dennis Smith & NCSU also a good example. Gottfried got fired after that season and Keatts took over. Profit.

Ideally, we'd fire Manning now and hire someone awesome. I understand that. I'm not (that) dense.

So, to be clear, given that we aren't firing Manning right now your preferred course of action is to sign Cole Anthony, give Manning another year, not make the NCAA tournament, and then hire a coach?

I agree with you. I think many here are just so ready to move on from Manning that they are afraid that WF could achieve just enough (and it would be something marginally good) with Anthony to buy DM a couple of more years at WF.

Also, the year Ben Simmons played at LSU, they had the talent to accomplish a lot. Not making the tourney was completely unforgiveable. In addition to the #1 overall pick in the draft, Ben Simmons, they had Antonio Blakeney, who is currently getting regular minutes with the Bulls, and Tim Quatermann who played for the Blazers in 2017 and the Rockets last year. They also had AZ transfer Craig Victor who was a serviceable big, and Keith Hornsby who shot 42% from 3. Johnny Jones completely butchered a team that should've at least top 25, and probably was in the top 5 in talent.

FWIW, this year, Jones took over for Mike Davis at Texas Southern (Davis got the Detroit job). They are far and away the best team in the SWAC, and already have road wins at Baylor, Oregon and Texas A&M. Coaching is a weird thing.

Last edited:
So, to be clear, given that we aren't firing Manning right now your preferred course of action is to sign Cole Anthony, give Manning another year, not make the NCAA tournament, and then hire a coach?

No.

I don't control anything.

My preferred result would be Cole Anthony and no Danny Manning.

Honestly, it's all mental masturbation because he's not coming. I'm just saying that I'd like it if he did. I'd probably even be OK if it meant another year of Manning. But that's a tough call.

Long-term, it is best if Danny Manning is not coaching Wake Forest. Shorter-term, it would certainly be worth the publicity (and 1 year of fun watching him in a Wake uniform) to have Anthony, even if it meant one more year of Manning.

I 100% understand that it is not worth keeping a coach simply based on a recruiting class... But when you are talking about the #1 player in a given class (arguably), I think it's at least tempting.

I thought it would be fun watching Hoard but it isn't.

I thought it would be fun watching Hoard but it isn't.

Frosh Anthony > Frosh Hoard > Frosh Brown

But all 3 of them on the same team would be nice.

It is kind of funny how I feel watching Hoard. The dude clearly has talent. He's also very raw. I'm not sure how much of his "struggles" are based on Manning vs. how raw he is. It's obviously a bit of both.

It is also funny how people openly call out Hoard for being lazy when we have no idea if that is the case. But that's what an angry fan base does, I guess.

Long-term, it is best if Danny Manning is not coaching Wake Forest. Shorter-term, it would certainly be worth the publicity (and 1 year of fun watching him in a Wake uniform) to have Anthony, even if it meant one more year of Manning.

There's no way it would mean just one more year of Danny.

It is also funny how people openly call out Hoard for being lazy when we have no idea if that is the case. But that's what an angry fan base does, I guess.

I haven't seen anyone call him lazy other than Jimmie Dykes on ESPN

Frosh Anthony > Frosh Hoard > Frosh Brown

But all 3 of them on the same team would be nice.

It is kind of funny how I feel watching Hoard. The dude clearly has talent. He's also very raw. I'm not sure how much of his "struggles" are based on Manning vs. how raw he is. It's obviously a bit of both.

Add Mucius, Massoud, Sarr, Wright, Chill and another player we could add to play with Anthony and we'd have a very, very good team.

It's not going to happen (unless we fire Danny and hire Greg Anthony).

Add Mucius, Massoud, Sarr, Wright, Chill and another player we could add to play with Anthony and we'd have a very, very good team. .

Yeah, we're just 1-2 players away from a very very good team!! Nothing else needed.

Yeah, we'd have a talented team. If Manning is still the coach, it's impossible to say we'd have a good team.

Hiring Greg Anthony as coach would be so baddass. Danny Manning's recruitment to Kansas 30+ years ago was a bit scandalous because Kansas Coach and perennial carpetbagger Larry Brown hired Danny's Dad coincidentally during Manning's recruitment.

What comes around goes around yo!

the likely thing to happen here is he goes to unc. hoard declares and drafter 2nd round. chaundee transfers to kansas, isiah to xavier, and we are left with chill. then wellman keeps manning. remember Ron Wellman is the AF here, even luck wont bright anthony here. not with this man running the show

Hiring Greg Anthony as coach would be so baddass. Danny Manning's recruitment to Kansas 30+ years ago was a bit scandalous because Kansas Coach and perennial carpetbagger Larry Brown hired Danny's Dad coincidentally during Manning's recruitment.

What comes around goes around yo!

and honestly......... greg anthony would prob be an upgrade on our bench

Back