• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

We have a really good nucleus in our freshman and sophomore classes. Obviously the NBA plays a huge role in what our team looks like when those players are juniors and seniors, but hopefully we are done with unexpected movements out of the program. Crazy to think that our team this year should include Crawford, Moore, Woods, and Mitchell ... instead we won't have a single one of those players.

Need to keep recruiting, and this time make sure we keep them (or actually move them on to the NBA and not the Czech Republic).

I think the point was that people go way over the top and try too hard to make EVERYTHING negative. Being negative is fine, but the constant overly-negative reactions to basically everything is quite annoying, because it happens with things that should not have a negative spin.

Does that include the constant overly negative reactions to fans?

It seems like everybody has to be negative about something because things aren’t going well with the program. Some choose to be negative about the program. Some lash out at their fellow fans.

We have a really good nucleus in our freshman and sophomore classes. Obviously the NBA plays a huge role in what our team looks like when those players are juniors and seniors, but hopefully we are done with unexpected movements out of the program. Crazy to think that our team this year should include Crawford, Moore, Woods, and Mitchell ... instead we won't have a single one of those players.

Need to keep recruiting, and this time make sure we keep them (or actually move them on to the NBA and not the Czech Republic).

The nucleus is centered around a top 25 player that made his intention clear to be one and done. Wake will not be good next year and will be rebuilding again once Hoard leaves. If we are lucky enough to have him for two years, the 2019 class will need to fill some major gaps. I don't see that happening with manning on the hot seat.

Does that include the constant overly negative reactions to fans?

It seems like everybody has to be negative about something because things aren’t going well with the program. Some choose to be negative about the program. Some lash out at their fellow fans.

I suppose. Calling out posters for being incessantly negative doesn't really strike me as negative but I see what your're saying. Especially considering most of the incessantly negative posters also call out other fellow fans for posting anything remotely positive, so they're the worst of both (with a couple exceptions).

The nucleus is centered around a top 25 player that made his intention clear to be one and done. Wake will not be good next year and will be rebuilding again once Hoard leaves. If we are lucky enough to have him for two years, the 2019 class will need to fill some major gaps. I don't see that happening with manning on the hot seat.

This certainty about Wake's basketball future - does it extend to certainty about other future events say the winner of the world series?

As I’ve pointed out before, the problem is not the fans. The football recruiting thread is positive even when very negative things happen like Clark’s decommit. Same posters. But the football program is doing well.

I don't think there's been one positive thing to happen regarding the basketball program since Mucius's commitment last September. Like literally everything that has happened since then has been negative. Kinda comical actually.

Yes. Those posters are also the ones who go off the deep end if we have a bad quarter in a football game, make negative comments about the TBT team like it has something to do with Danny Manning or our current basketball program, make negative comments about extending an offer, etc. As I said, it's the negativity about everything - not negativity about the things that deserve it.

As I’ve pointed out before, the problem is not the fans. The football recruiting thread is positive even when very negative things happen like Clark’s decommit. Same posters. But the football program is doing well.

They aren't the same posters. There are about 5-10 posters that are negative about everything. When we win bowl games, national championships, etc. they are absent, but when something bad (or even neutral) happens, they flock to the boards and harp on it for days. They also repeat the same drivel incessantly. It is those posters that most are referring to.

I don't think there's been one positive thing to happen regarding the basketball program since Mucius's commitment last September. Like literally everything that has happened since then has been negative. Kinda comical actually.

We beat Quinnipiac

Beating Qunnipiac is a major reason we do so poorly in the polls.

I don't buy the "building a nucleus" argument. Our best recruit has clearly stated his intention to be one and done. The others are question marks still. They may be great, they may be role players or they may be busts. Those with enough talent to start will more than likely jump when a coaching change is made. The idea that Manning is recruiting/building a team for another coach is silly. We are still mired in awfulness. The next hire will be yet another reset/reboot of the program. Attrition will be expected. If anyone seems negative, it's because they are accurately representing our program, our results and momentum.

Every recruit is a one and done. Failure to recognize that shows a clear lack of understanding of basketball recruiting. Almost any player that can get drafted in the first round is going to go.

Hoard stating it out loud just shows his personal level of confidence. I hope he gets there. I love Sarr, Brown, Hoard and Mucius as impact players in our program. I’m optimistic about Wright Jr. As well. If you are getting 2 players per class that can really play you are going to be a good program. Just need to keep recruiting.

Every recruit is a one and done. Failure to recognize that shows a clear lack of understanding of basketball recruiting. Almost any player that can get drafted in the first round is going to go.

Hoard stating it out loud just shows his personal level of confidence. I hope he gets there. I love Sarr, Brown, Hoard and Mucius as impact players in our program. I’m optimistic about Wright Jr. As well. If you are getting 2 players per class that can really play you are going to be a good program. Just need to keep recruiting.

+1 The ability to get drafted after a year in college has changed the game forever. If you're not a Duke, Kentucky, or the like who can get all the one and done players you need then it's a complicated formula each year for success. Certainly coaching is a key factor, but trying to re-make your team each season without the consistency of top recruiting is a crapshoot. We can only hope that whoever our coach is that we can develop an identity, a consistency that will smooth over the lack of top 50 recruits each season. To me, Jay Wright, John Beilein and Bob Huggins are great examples of that. As much as it will piss many of you off, you can add UNC to that list as well.

Undrafted ACC early entrants:

Deng Adel, F, Louisville
Bryant Crawford, G, Wake Forest
Trevon Duval, G, Duke
Doral Moore, C, Wake Forest

Back