• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

In spite of getting #1, #2 and #3, 247 will have someone having a better recruiting year.

There is zero chance Duke isn’t paying players. Don’t care how good K is. You will not convince me otherwise.

I don't know if they're paying them but they can tell them never will never have to take a Duke class (going to NCCU classes instead) and they'll be hyped beyond reason by the ESPN/Duke network.

And I do think there is a little cowardice there - Go to Clemson and carry the burden (and the burden) of being the savior or go to Duke and be another cog in the machine.

These kids get swayed by the constant Duke hype and I'm sure everyone they know thinks it would be so cool to go to Duke... In this case there also could have been a desire to surprise and shock people with his choice.

Duke now has #1, #2, #3 and #7 in the RSCI rankings from the summer.

Last edited:
Pretty amazing that all of these top 5 recruits have the academic chops to be accepted at Duke. High school basketball stars must have gotten a lot smarter over the past several years.

Pretty amazing that all of these top 5 recruits have the academic chops to be accepted at Duke. High school basketball stars must have gotten a lot smarter over the past several years.

I'm sure coach k has to go to the admissions committee and beg for exceptions to get these kids in - just like the Wake coaches have purportedly had to do...

Yeah, I just wish the "K doesn't value education, K is a sleazeball" articles would come out like they did all the time for Cal when UK was dominating recruiting. But nope, nothing. Bastard needs to retire.

Seems like most recruiting analysts had Duke behind Clemson, UNC, and South Carolina. Pretty unexpected.

To be fair, Cal's reputation didn't start recently..it's been his MO forever. I mean he has a vacated final four

Maybe they guaranteed him a Nike contract?

This is what is happening. K and Duke are extremely tight with Nike, and these top players going to Duke end up with Nike contracts, even if they underperform in college. I don't know how explicit the deal is, but that's obviously what's happening. Jason Tatum and Harry Giles both got Nike contracts, and it's rumored that Giles's is much larger than would be expected given his lack of productivity in college and current NBA projections. http://hoopshype.com/2017/07/16/which-2017-nba-rookies-have-shoe-deals-with-nike-adidas-and-more/

HUH? Revenue sports athletes basically have to qualify for the NCAA to get accepted.

This just kind of makes college basketball un-fun. If all the best players are going to go to the best 4-5 programs, then what’s the point? Pretty discouraging that this is the trend.

This just kind of makes college basketball un-fun. If all the best players are going to go to the best 4-5 programs, then what’s the point? Pretty discouraging that this is the trend.

We play UVA today, the #2 team in the land. They don’t seem to be landing any of these players, although admittedly I did not go back and look at their past classes.

ETA: ok I looked and their recruiting rankings are incredibly low given the success they’ve had, and their current ranking. Their best class (the Kyle Guy class) looks only slightly better than the one we have coming in next year. And I’ll bet a lot of money Hoard ends up a better player than Guy.

I’m disappointed with Manning, but I’m more disappointed with our players this year. I’ll reserve judgement until we see what he does with next years team and the 2019 recruiting class.

Last edited:
HUH? Revenue sports athletes basically have to qualify for the NCAA to get accepted.

This.

We accept players as well along these lines.

The real villain is the NBA for creating 1 and done. This move alone completely changed the integrity of college hoops. Cal first figured out how to create an advantage with it, K and others have followed....we will too we just haven't been able to tap into yet.

Clemson just got Giles'd. I have a brother-in-law booster for Clemson who was 100% sure he was coming. Corey Evans from Rivals:

“Clemson will come up with the biggest recruiting win in recent memory on Jan. 20 by defeating the giants of college basketball and landing the commitment of the five-star forward,” Evans wrote. “He is a trailblazer on and off the court, and will add even more ammo to the jumpstart occurring at Clemson this winter.”

At one point he was 80% to Clemson, hometown kid, said he wanted to lead a program not be just another player, etc...

I told him Wake fans can relate...

Back