• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCREW THE RAMBLIN' REGGIE BALLS FROM GT! YELLOW JACKETS ARE JUST BUGS!

Just cannot understand the ignoring of Cam and Dortch in third down situations

Last year Cam was injured and didn't show up in any offensive stats and no one knew about his injury. Same questions. Do you presume to know Cam's status this season?

I note Freudenthal was targeted for a pass. Do you contend the staff doesn't know the difference between Serigne and Freudenthal?

Didn't watch a down of this game. Of all the games on our schedule I was pretty sure of how this one would go. We'd look good early. D would be tough and offense would look sharp on several drives. Eventually our D would tire and lose discipline and give up some backbreaking plays. And techs D would adjust and our offense would grind to a halt. From the box score I think I must've been close.

I also don't understand why Dortch does not get the ball more. Not comparing their talents, but he is our version of Percy Harvin. At UF, they would force feed the ball to him every way possible. Seems like any involvement of Dortch is within the flow of the offense, rather than specifically running plays to him. There ought to be ways to get him the ball in space and force defender to make individual plays.

The GT drive and field goal at the end of the first half was the snowball. The Deacon clown act to start the second half was the release. The following GT one play for a TD possession was the mountain. All downhill from there. Lousy offensive execution. Lousy defensive execution.. Lousy coaching. Lousy final score. Truly a team effort in a 25-3 second half butt kicking.

The truly sad part is that I told my brother in law that if GT scored in the final minute of the first half this would happen.

Last edited:
I also don't understand why Dortch does not get the ball more. Not comparing their talents, but he is our version of Percy Harvin. At UF, they would force feed the ball to him every way possible. Seems like any involvement of Dortch is within the flow of the offense, rather than specifically running plays to him. There ought to be ways to get him the ball in space and force defender to make individual plays.

I would disagree with this post. In the passing game, we target Dortch almost to the exclusion of other receivers.

Georgia tech was the first game where I remember the ball being spread around more. I thought we did a good job of getting Hines and Lewis the mix this game. Washington is a great play in theory, he just needs to get stronger with the ball. The fade to him should've been a touchdown.

Don't you want to see Dortch involved in the running game?

My biggest gripe offensively is we rarely if ever use the middle of the field in the passing game. One of the announcers a few weeks back mentioned it too. Just seems like defending the out patterns with little concern for the middle of the field frees up the safety to concentrate on the run game.

If only we had a TE who could operate in the middle of the field.

If only we had a TE who could operate in the middle of the field.

Totally agree..
I haven't watched closely enough to say but I wonder how often does he even go out into a route? I feel like we keep him in to block a lot and I wonder if that's because the O line still isn't where it needs to be?

My biggest gripe offensively is we rarely if ever use the middle of the field in the passing game. One of the announcers a few weeks back mentioned it too. Just seems like defending the out patterns with little concern for the middle of the field frees up the safety to concentrate on the run game.

Couldn't watch much of this game, but did see us throw back to back passes to Hines, one drop and one TD in the middle. Agree though, that we neglect it too much, which partly comes form having a very short QB who likes to escape the pocket.

That was in the red zone..As we move down the field it seems like we utilize the edges more with passing. I would love to see a completion/attempts chart for where Wolford throws the ball. I don't have the time to put it together. Maybe one of our blogger friends can do it :)
I could be way off on my assessment but that's my impression from watching.

The GT drive and field goal at the end of the first half was the snowball. The Deacon clown act to start the second half was the release. The following GT one play for a TD possession was the mountain. All downhill from there. Lousy offensive execution. Lousy defensive execution.. Lousy coaching. Lousy final score. Truly a team effort in a 25-3 second half butt kicking.

The truly sad part is that I told my brother in law that if GT scored in the final minute of the first half this would happen.

I agree! Being there and watching, that late hit penalty that put them in FG position was just stupid and hurt the momentum part of the game. We had weathered the early storm, had them on their heels and our O-line was blowing them off the ball. We had a 21-10 lead and were getting the ball to start the half. I just don't understand not using Cam like UVa & Pittsburgh did Heath Miller for all those year. He ought to be getting 6-8 touches per game. Plus throw some screen passes out of the backfield to keep their rushers honest. I thought Lobo was back calling our offense in the second half!

Don't you want to see Dortch involved in the running game?

Sure.

I also think we need to run the RPO with the WR screen as the pass option more - we've run it about 5 times this year when we utilized the pass option. Got blown up once, and went for 6+ the other times.

The Serigne MIA question is one that ought to be posed to Clawson on Tuesday by one of our fearless journalists.

It was almost as if we changed offensive coordinators at the half. There was such a difference in the way Carney was used and the crappy third and fourth down play calling, it would be interesting to ask Clawson if they saw something different in the GT defense or was all our pain self inflicted?

Back