• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PRESEASON KENPOM IS OUT

CharlotteDeac1

Reaction score
Wake comes in at 57th overall, 11th in the ACC. 25th adjO, 96 adjD, 39th adjT. The overall ranking doesn’t necessarily surprise me because of the loss of John Collins, but I’m a little surprised at a couple teams we’re behind. This puts us in preseason NIT projection range, but a surprise player or two could push us into the tournament (which I expect to happen).

I agree with the improvement, but we'll need much more improvement or the Chaundee/Wilbekin/Brandon position will cost us in ACC play. Also, we need refs to stop making so many horrible calls against Doral.

The reality is this is one of, if not the most competitive ACC's from top to bottom we have ever seen. Even Lunardi has 10 ACC teams in The Dance and two more in his First Four Out. That's 12 out of 15 teams. I would guess this could be unprecedented nationally.

If we get up a bunch in couple of these last OOC games, I'd like to see Rich get a few minutes.

Do you know why Duke, UVA and UNC will almost always be at the bottom of an ACC SOS list? It's kinda basic...They don't play themselves.

Does anyone know if we’ll get any kind of news from our preseason scrimmage with Maryland? I feel I remember seeing it’s supposed to be this Friday or Saturday. I know they’re supposed to be “secret” but I really want to hear more news about some of the question mark players that will get minutes this year.

Some of us said don't be surprised to see us try to outscore our opponents. You play the game you have the players to play.

I agree with the improvement, but we'll need much more improvement or the Chaundee/Wilbekin/Brandon position will cost us in ACC play. Also, we need refs to stop making so many horrible calls against Doral.

The reality is this is one of, if not the most competitive ACC's from top to bottom we have ever seen. Even Lunardi has 10 ACC teams in The Dance and two more in his First Four Out. That's 12 out of 15 teams. I would guess this could be unprecedented nationally.

We should be in tier 2 next year

If we get up a bunch in couple of these last OOC games, I'd like to see Rich get a few minutes.

Do you know why Duke, UVA and UNC will almost always be at the bottom of an ACC SOS list? It's kinda basic...They don't play themselves.

giphy.gif

The Kansas/Mizzou game had a stream today. Also saw tweets that seemed as if Nebraska/Miss St was watched today too.

Does anyone know if we’ll get any kind of news from our preseason scrimmage with Maryland? I feel I remember seeing it’s supposed to be this Friday or Saturday. I know they’re supposed to be “secret” but I really want to hear more news about some of the question mark players that will get minutes this year.

It's next Saturday.

Arguably dUKe played themselves last year when they made Grayson Allen their Captain.

A little surprised by Clemson and GT ranked over us.

GT returns their top 2 players in Okogie and Lammers. I am surprised at Clemson though because outside Blossomgame I thought they were relatively unimpressive. Mitchell and Grantham return though.

Could say the same about Wake though in losing Collins and Mitoglou.

Probably worth examining what goes into these ratings before people start arguing about "too low' or "too high."

Paraphrased from the site:

The components and weighting is based on a regression of the past nine seasons. It doesn’t try to project playing time for individual players. All but 5-star recruits are virtually ignored. If you think your favorite team is ranked too low, the reason is probably that there are really good recruits arriving.

In the most general sense, the main ingredient in the system is inertia. If a team has been good in the recent past, it’s likely to be rated well in the preseason. As much as we like to think of college basketball as this crazy sport where anything can happen, there’s just not much class mobility in the game. I think we all understand that the Big Ten will always be better than the SWAC, but even within conferences there’s a clear power structure that might vary from year to year but is very predictable over the long term.

Over the next decade, it’s a near certainty that Arizona will win more Pac-12 games than Washington State, Kansas will win more Big 12 games than TCU, and Duke will win more ACC games than Boston College. So in the absence of looking at specific players, the projection first relies on recent team performance. Projected offense is largely determined by the quality of a team’s offense over the previous three seasons and its defense from last season. Projected defense uses similar variables.

Returning personnel is considered as well. Generally, the more players returning, the better. However, the quality of the player is also a factor. Losing a high-usage/high-efficiency player hurts a team’s offense a lot more than losing a role player. In fact, a low-usage inefficient role player that returns can actually hurt a team’s rating. So while chasing off a player is not the most ethical practice, it is apparently a good sign for the program when a struggling player seeks a new school.

GT and Clemson will not finish ahead of us. I could see this team end up being top 5- 7 in the ACC with the amount of losses others teams have had if we can improve to almost respectable defensively. Duke, Miami and Louisville should be top 3 if L'ville and Miami can keep from losing players with their turmoil around the program.

Last edited:
Back