• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

Exactly.

This is another dumb RC argument. Just don't engage.

Another case of people not bothering to read my admittedly lengthy posts. I'll try and summarize here. I don't think any of these statements are controversial but let me know if I'm wrong.

1. Holding the door for people is a nice thing to do. People should do it more often.

2. Some women feel uncomfortable or even unsafe when men hold the door for them. This is especially true if the man is a stranger, they are alone, it's at night, it's where they live, etc.

3. When members of a group with less social or political power tell members of a more politically and socially powerful group that certain things make them feel uncomfortable or unsafe, or that certain injustices are happening to them, the latter group should listen and take them at their word.

4. The source of the cultural difference in holding the door for women is, at least in parts of the South, tied directly to notions of patriarchal chivalry that grew out of, or was perpetuated by, the romanticism of the civil war and the antebellum south.

But what about just holding a door open when you see someone behind you, regardless of their gender?

How is a woman supposed to distinguish between a guy that just holds the door open for everyone, a guy that holds the door open for patronizing reasons, a guy that holds the door open to creepily check out her ass, or a guy that holds the door open to follow her wherever she's going or worse?

I should also clarify that in the specific instance we were walking into the building where I (and presumably she) work

How is a woman supposed to distinguish between a guy that just holds the door open for everyone, a guy that holds the door open for patronizing reasons, a guy that holds the door open to creepily check out her ass, or a guy that holds the door open to follow her wherever she's going or worse?

Because I have charm but not the Ted Bundy kind. I also have an honest and innocent face. That’s why I’ve never encountered any problems when holding a fucking door open.

I should also clarify that in the specific instance we were walking into the building where I (and presumably she) work

And I should clarify that my posts have been focused on the general situation you found yourself in and not your situation specifically which it sounds like you handled well. I'm not suggesting that you should have done anything differently or that your reaction of bafflement was anything but normal. Upon reflection, however, it would take some amount of naïveté to not understand why that woman might have reacted the way she did.

You know? Like the non threatening way about me that says “im minding my own business but noticed a fellow human behind me. I haven’t pondered their societal viewpoints on gender inequality but I’m going to hedge on the side that they wouldn’t mind me opening the door and going my own way kind of way”.

Because I have charm but not the Ted Bundy kind. I also have an honest and innocent face. That’s why I’ve never encountered any problems when holding a fucking door open.

I haven't either. But I'm not naive or self important enough to believe that I've never inadvertently made a woman uncomfortable with a seemingly innocuous gesture.

You know? Like the non threatening way about me that says “im minding my own business but noticed a fellow human behind me. I haven’t pondered their societal viewpoints on gender inequality but I’m going to hedge on the side that they wouldn’t mind me opening the door and going my own way kind of way”.

Which is a good hedge in most cases and why you should continue the practice. It wouldn't hurt to develop some empathy for women who don't react well to the gesture. It also wouldn't hurt to be more aware of situations where the gesture might be unwelcome, even coming from a non-threatening charming guy with an honest and innocent face.

Never thought I'd hear that opening the door for someone makes me a racist but here we are lol.

Have you actually read the thread beyond the door holding silliness of the last two pages?

Nope. Doesn't change what's been said the last two pages though. And I'm not sure why I should bother reading the whole thread when y'all can't be bothered to read and respond to what I actually posted (1/2 credit to jhmd for the on point but (hopefully) snarky response).

hard to get past your insufferable posting style

Nope. Doesn't change what's been said the last two pages though. And I'm not sure why I should bother reading the whole thread when y'all can't be bothered to read and respond to what I actually posted (1/2 credit to jhmd for the on point but (hopefully) snarky response).

Most of the crappy content of the last few pages was driven by your bullshit relating door holding to Gone With the Wind. Read the thread and you'll see some good conversation about sexual harassment and assault, you'll even see people's perspectives getting changed and influenced by the discussion, not a common occurrence in the tunnels. This has been quite far from a #notallmen thread.

I'm aware, though I think most of you are up to the task. Always going to choose substance over style though.

Says the guy who enters the conversation without understanding the substance of the conversation and starts explaining to everyone how sexist they are.

Back