• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

Nice. The "she's somebody's wife" argument.

I don't mean it in the sense of qualifying her as "just somebody's wife". A woman shouldn't be touched inappropriately on her own merit, with no regard to her relationship status. My only intent in this instance is to personalize it for ELC.

My apologies if it came off that way.

We have a very narrow window of responsibility and sexual maturity for men. Old men can harass and grope because it's cute and funny and they deserve it. Teenage boys can harass and grope because they don't really know any better, yet. All men can do it in certain contexts like locker rooms and country clubs. It's probably ok to harass and grope at bars after, like, 10pm and definitely ok in a frat house 24/7 because it's expected. At work it's ok as long as it's just a joking grope.

Meh. I've spent more hours than most in bars after 10 pm and lived in a fraternity house and never groped anyone. The recent allegations have to do with men of power abusing their positions in well-respected and publicly supported organizations. Stigmatizing large groups of men who you don't relate to, does not help. It only leads to them digging deeper trenches.

Meh. I've spent more hours than most in bars after 10 pm and lived in a fraternity house and never groped anyone. The recent allegations have to do with men of power abusing their positions in well-respected and publicly supported organizations. Stigmatizing large groups of men who you don't relate to, does not help. It only leads to them digging deeper ditches.

I am not stigmatizing groups of men, I am placing the responsibility to not grope and harass women on all men everywhere all the time.

Meh. I've spent more hours than most in bars after 10 pm and lived in a fraternity house and never groped anyone. The recent allegations have to do with men of power abusing their positions in well-respected and publicly supported organizations. Stigmatizing large groups of men who you don't relate to, does not help. It only leads to them digging deeper trenches.

right but then many people posting #metoo are not referring to men in positions of power, just men they've encountered

Calling people out for specific actions and making it clear that gross jokes and touching are inappropriate is not “stigmatizing”, either

must spread rep...I was about to post similar. It's just not apples to apples until you multiply it out to how his experience would be if 50% of the population was gay dudes and they were typically your boss/dominated the power structure in most workplaces.
To be clear, ILC and GTB are endorsing and enabling sexual assault when they try to minimize these situations. Not a good look, but a good explanation for why it is such a widespread issue. Amazing how they (more GTB) use this, THIS, to puff out their chest about how tough they are. GTB, do you really think your isolated incident compares with what the average woman experiences over the course of their development and professional life?

Not an isolated incident, and yes, I can compare it to the average woman experience.

It is as big of a deal as you make it. There's no fucking line with you people - today a pat on the body is assault, tomorrow telling someone their tie is nice is harassment.

Seriously, go choke on a bag of dicks.

Drama Queen award winner 5 years running now.

I'm not insensitive to issue. They say it's 1 out of 6 or 1 in 4 women or whatever, but I think it's much higher than that. Like 1 out of 2, and really 100% if we're going to count GHWB's actions in our definition of assault. My wife has been assaulted but didn't feel the need to join the #metoo chorus the other day because she didn't feel it was anybody's business to trumpet events from more than 25 years ago that bring back bad periods of her life. The primary problem is that it's often done by a friend who doesn't get reported. That and people like Weinstein who abuse their power are the real issues. Drunk, impulsive, or awkward young men will always act like drunk, impulsive, or awkward young men for as long as they have hormones and a cock. But there's an enormous difference between being boorish and being rapey. Bringing attention to both as bad and unwelcome is good, but not if it sounds petty like this woman's complaint does. I'm not proud of every stupid thing I've done where women are involved, but I've never been anywhere close to rape. I knew somebody in college who raped a girl (or at least I'll take the word of my best friend from college, who was his roommate and witnessed him climb up into bed with a passed out girl and have his way with her. She didn't come back the next semester) who has had a family now for several years and I don't know how he lives with himself.

This. All of this.

The smarm that Numbers, ITC and crew smear their words with is indicative of the path that we're on. In their view, it's beyond reproach to condemn a person having a perfectly normal interaction with another human being as anything other than full-on rape.

In their internet-bubbled world, they are able to say, "well, the one time that I'll meet a girl, I'll know to continuously say 'm'lady,' tip my fucking fedora, and hover my hand over her hip if we are lucky enough to take a picture together."

Awesome - two white people are bent out of shape because someone brushed up against a butt. Hey - that's fucking trivial, and should be treated as such. I'm going to go talk to a dude today who has literally fucking killed people - white people butt-brushing is not on his radar.

But good on Numbers and ITC for living in such a privileged fucking environment that they can sit in their stupid fucking chairs and croon at each other, eyes-locked, while they furiously jerk one another off on a message board. Fight, you SJWs, and fight hard - get all the practice you can, because if/when you actually meet the real world, it's going to bend you over and drive a dick into you so fast that you won't even get a chance to whimper. Ph, I'd lump you in there with them, but the SJWs know you're black, so that'd be bad. I'll curtail my speech to save their feelings.

I am not stigmatizing groups of men, I am placing the responsibility to not grope and harass women on all men everywhere all the time.

more of this, please.

Not an isolated incident, and yes, I can compare it to the average woman experience.

It is as big of a deal as you make it. There's no fucking line with you people - today a pat on the body is assault, tomorrow telling someone their tie is nice is harassment.

This. All of this.

The smarm that Numbers, ITC and crew smear their words with is indicative of the path that we're on. In their view, it's beyond reproach to condemn a person having a perfectly normal interaction with another human being as anything other than full-on rape.

In their internet-bubbled world, they are able to say, "well, the one time that I'll meet a girl, I'll know to continuously say 'm'lady,' tip my fucking fedora, and hover my hand over her hip if we are lucky enough to take a picture together."

Awesome - two white people are bent out of shape because someone brushed up against a butt. Hey - that's fucking trivial, and should be treated as such. I'm going to go talk to a dude today who has literally fucking killed people - white people butt-brushing is not on his radar.

But good on Numbers and ITC for living in such a privileged fucking environment that they can sit in their stupid fucking chairs and croon at each other, eyes-locked, while they furiously jerk one another off on a message board. Fight, you SJWs, and fight hard - get all the practice you can, because if/when you actually meet the real world, it's going to bend you over and drive a dick into you so fast that you won't even get a chance to whimper. Ph, I'd lump you in there with them, but the SJWs know you're black, so that'd be bad. I'll curtail my speech to save their feelings.

So much guilt and passive aggression

My outrage at women being mistreated and the apathy it gets from otherwise intelligent people is sincere

Calling people out for specific actions and making it clear that gross jokes and touching are inappropriate is not “stigmatizing”, either

I'm all for calling specific people out. But I'm not for lumping in all men who go to bars or are members of frats, country clubs, etc.

Honestly the biggest problem and the reason this corporate culture of silence has been allowed to exist is due to the existence of LAWYERS and our broken political system.

I listened to an On Point episode about this last night. Instead of these monsters (Weinstein, O'Reilly, etc.) being shamed publicly, corporations and their lawyers have created a culture where the victims are compelled to stay silent. When they're hired they had to waive their right to trial or risk never making it in their industry, and when they reach out to HR and their legal team they are advised to settle and sign NDA's. Guess who gets a cut of all those settlements.

Last edited:
no, the biggest problem with men disrespecting women is not lawyers and tort reform.

ELC---if you knew men were patting your wife on the butt would you be ok with that?

If it were GHWB within this context, it would warrant an eye roll and a laugh-- and I'm pretty sure that would be her reaction as well. Context is everything. If some drunk guy in the bar, no I wouldn't be ok with that. I also know she can handle herself just fine and my involvement wouldn't be necessary unless the guy couldn't take no for an answer.

That having been said...

and that's her prerogative, not sure what the point of this is compared to other women who did feel like it was a good idea to bring it up. Shockingly, women are people who handle things differently

Prior experiences will often inform the extent of one's reaction. This gal may have reacted the way she did because she was goosed every day for 10 years and is tired of it. And the way my wife would react is obviously very different from the way this woman reacted, even though she can point to a few of her own #metoo experiences.

Again, by all means bring to light what is and what isn't appropriate. But bringing up some lame story about a dirty old man with both feet nearly in the grave just seems like attention whoring to me.

This. All of this.

Anddd Knight confirmed.

You're a lawyer, you know you can't touch someone without their permission. Besides, I've never said that these things are rape, I said that people shouldn't touch other people without consent. That's pretty basic, yet you seem to have a lot of trouble grasping this concept.

Also nice gay "joke" at the end there with an over the top Ph comment. You're a real winner dude.

no, the biggest problem with men disrespecting women is not lawyers and tort reform.

Knowing that they won't face any serious repercussions at work as long as they keep producing for their employer absolutely encourages this abuse of power.

Most of the men who feel emboldened to engage in this kind of power-based abuse have similarly been shielded consequences throughout their lives.

Back