• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

I'm all for calling specific people out. But I'm not for lumping in all men who go to bars or are members of frats, country clubs, etc.

Honestly the biggest problem and the reason this corporate culture of silence has been allowed to exist is due to the existence of LAWYERS and our broken political system.

I listened to an On Point episode about this last night. Instead of these monsters (Weinstein, O'Reilly, etc.) being shamed publicly, corporations and their lawyers have created a culture where the victims are compelled to stay silent. When they're hired they had to waive their right to trial or risk never making it in their industry, and when they reach out to HR and their legal team they are advised to settle and sign NDA's. Guess who gets a cut of all those settlements.

I'd think you'd have a pretty good legal argument that a contract signing away your right to sue over harassment is unconscionable

Knowing that they won't face any serious repercussions at work as long as they keep producing for their employer absolutely encourages this abuse of power.

Most of the men who feel emboldened to engage in this kind of power-based abuse have similarly been shielded consequences throughout their lives.

sure it does, but what about the dudes who get handsy on the subway and cat call

Knowing that they won't face any serious repercussions at work as long as they keep producing for their employer absolutely encourages this abuse of power.

Most of the men who feel emboldened to engage in this kind of power-based abuse have similarly been shielded consequences throughout their lives.

Sure in a system mostly created by men. Funny how that works out.

My outrage at women being mistreated and the apathy it gets from otherwise intelligent people is sincere

How are you not constantly fucking infuriated? If a woman being inappropriately patted on the butt causes you "outrage," how the fuck do you even begin to process the world? Do you just not know about the things I know about? Is your spectrum of emotion confined to 7-8/10 constant anger?

This is what I genuinely don't understand about you people - I cannot both be "outraged" by women being patted on the butt and equally "outraged" by rape. Rape outrages me and disgusts me. Sex trafficking makes me want to enact physical reprisal. Compared to rape and sex trafficking, I cannot have the same feelings about butt pats. Yes, it's a violation of someone's personal space, and damn, that shouldn't happen -- but it isn't death by friendly fire on the battle field and it isn't the harsh randomness of terminal cancer.

There's a line somewhere that people just need to fucking get over it. Otherwise we're just 7 billion sacks of blood with PTSD. ELC is right - if you over-state the butt-pat, it diminishes the rape (assuming these apples can even be compared).

sure it does, but what about the dudes who get handsy on the subway and cat call

If they violate the law by laying a hand on a woman, arrest them. As to cat calling, I'm not sure what you really can do.

Although with this current generation of betas (joking, sorta) that we're raising, I think a lot of these behaviors will be lessened.

How are you not constantly fucking infuriated? If a woman being inappropriately patted on the butt causes you "outrage," how the fuck do you even begin to process the world? Do you just not know about the things I know about? Is your spectrum of emotion confined to 7-8/10 constant anger?

/r/Iamverysmart

Sure in a system mostly created by men. Funny how that works out.

Listen brah, if you want a Marx-esque (not Marxist because the guy was a total dweeb) revolution where we burn everything and start over, then you have found your guy.

The problem is our entire social structure, from top to bottom. Until society is ready to accept that chaotic bloody revolution is the only real way to change anything, all we can do is try to make things slightly better.

Good F'ing luck getting rid of male dominance in our society. Especially when 95% of our elected leaders are complicit in keep that social structure in place as long as the checks still cash.

How are you not constantly fucking infuriated? If a woman being inappropriately patted on the butt causes you "outrage," how the fuck do you even begin to process the world? Do you just not know about the things I know about? Is your spectrum of emotion confined to 7-8/10?

This is what I genuinely don't understand about you people - I cannot both be "outraged" by women being patted on the butt and equally "outraged" by rape. Rape outrages me and disgusts me. Sex trafficking makes me want to enact physical reprisal. Compared to rape and sex trafficking, I cannot have the same feelings about butt pats. Yes, it's a violation of someone's personal space, and damn, that shouldn't happen -- but it isn't death by friendly fire on the battle field and it isn't the harsh randomness of terminal cancer.

There's a line somewhere that people just need to fucking get over it. Otherwise we're just 7 billion sacks of blood with PTSD. ELC is right - if you over-state the butt-pat, it diminishes the rape (assuming these apples can even be compared).

Outrage doesn't have to mean you're stomping your feet and throwing your controller through a TV screen

If it were GHWB within this context, it would warrant an eye roll and a laugh-- and I'm pretty sure that would be her reaction as well. Context is everything. If some drunk guy in the bar, no I wouldn't be ok with that. I also know she can handle herself just fine and my involvement wouldn't be necessary unless the guy couldn't take no for an answer.

That having been said...

Prior experiences will often inform the extent of one's reaction. This gal may have reacted the way she did because she was goosed every day for 10 years and is tired of it. And the way my wife would react is obviously very different from the way this woman reacted, even though she can point to a few of her own #metoo experiences.

Again, by all means bring to light what is and what isn't appropriate. But bringing up some lame story about a dirty old man with both feet nearly in the grave just seems like attention whoring to me.

Because it's GHWB?

What about the guy who did it to me on an airplane when I was trying to get out to go to the bathroom? Would it have been ok if it was a former president? Should I just brush it off because he's old and probably going to die soon?
I think the bigger issue in everything you're saying is you are using context to justify an action that is invasive and NOT OK to just do to someone without their consent. If some old dude is patting my ass, I will ask him to stop, just like I would ask a younger person to please stop. You don't get a pass just because you're old, and you can't normalize this kind of behavior for ANYONE, old or young or whatever, because no matter who is doing it they are inappropriately touching another person.

If you tell your kid not to eat a rock does it diminish your authority when you tell your kid not to go play in a nuclear waste dump?

Both are things that parents want their kids not to do, but I don't think taking a position on the former diminishes the latter.

Anddd Knight confirmed.

You're a lawyer, you know you can't touch someone without their permission. Besides, I've never said that these things are rape, I said that people shouldn't touch other people without consent. That's pretty basic, yet you seem to have a lot of trouble grasping this concept.

Also nice gay "joke" at the end there with an over the top Ph comment. You're a real winner dude.

This is the ultimate 1L view of the world. Christ.

Of the 7 billion people on the planet, how many people do you think are touched without consent on a daily basis? It's gotta be more than half. I do it at least 10 times a day on average. I don't go up to my daughter and ask her before I pick her up. I don't go up to my co-worker and ask before I pat him on the back for a job well done. I don't ask my wife before reaching my arms around her waist at the kitchen sink. I don't ask the woman whose purse contents have spilled out on the floor if it's ok if I help pick them up.

This is the ultimate 1L view of the world. Christ.

Of the 7 billion people on the planet, how many people do you think are touched without consent on a daily basis? It's gotta be more than half. I do it at least 10 times a day on average. I don't go up to my daughter and ask her before I pick her up. I don't go up to my co-worker and ask before I pat him on the back for a job well done. I don't ask my wife before reaching my arms around her waist at the kitchen sink. I don't ask the woman whose purse contents have spilled out on the floor if it's ok if I help pick them up.

Must've missed consent when you were a 1L.

and if anyone seems to be constantly outraged, it's GTB who shows up on the regular now to voice his strenuous displeasure at anything he perceives as overly PC with a sprinkle of "ur gay" jokes

maybe try meditation or something, brother

what the hell?
"Over-state" the butt pat. Call it out, because it's NOT OK for someone to think they have the ability to just do this because it's "no big deal." Fuck you, buddy. You're telling me to walk around feeling like a damn piece of meat, put up with people patting my butt and commenting on my figure or whatever they want... and then I should what. Just suck it up and get over that because "hey! at least they didn't rape me!"

Calling out behaviors for being inappropriate and starting that conversation and culture change DOES NOTHING TO DIMINISH RAPE. What it DOES do is start people in realizing that, 'oh! hey! maybe this isn't ok, either!' but women have put up with it for fuckings YEARS because they've never had the strength/ability/numbers/power to actually say, "this is not ok."
Guess what. Now we do, and you're hearing it, and I'm sorry if your fucking panties are in a wad about it but hey. GET OVER IT.

Last edited:
and if anyone seems to be constantly outraged, it's GTB who shows up on the regular now to voice his strenuous displeasure at anything he perceives as overly PC with a sprinkle of "ur gay" jokes

maybe try meditation or something, brother

ur gay

what the hell?
"Over-state" the butt pat. Call it out, because it's NOT OK for someone to think they have the ability to just do this because it's "no big deal." Fuck you, buddy. You're telling me to walk around certain areas feeling like a damn piece of meat, put up with people patting my butt and commenting on my figure or whatever they want... and then I should what. Just suck it up and get over that because "hey! at least they didn't rape me!"

Calling out behaviors for being inappropriate and starting that conversation and culture change DOES NOTHING TO DIMINISH RAPE. What it DOES do is start people in realizing that, 'oh! hey! maybe this isn't ok, either!' but woman have put up with it for fuckings YEARS because they've never had the strength/ability/numbers/power to actually say, "this is not ok."
Guess what. Now we do, and you're hearing it, and I'm sorry if your fucking panties are in a wad about it but hey. GET OVER IT.

Cool it sweetie

Do you just not know about the things I know about? I

This is a guy who has seen some shit. Graduated summa cum laude from the school of the "Real World". Talked to actual murderers. Basically Colonel Jessup, Esq.

Just FYI -- no one is saying you have to be equally offended/outraged by rape and HW grabbin ass, you obtuse jackass.

what the hell?
"Over-state" the butt pat. Call it out, because it's NOT OK for someone to think they have the ability to just do this because it's "no big deal." Fuck you, buddy. You're telling me to walk around feeling like a damn piece of meat, put up with people patting my butt and commenting on my figure or whatever they want... and then I should what. Just suck it up and get over that because "hey! at least they didn't rape me!"

Calling out behaviors for being inappropriate and starting that conversation and culture change DOES NOTHING TO DIMINISH RAPE. What it DOES do is start people in realizing that, 'oh! hey! maybe this isn't ok, either!' but women have put up with it for fuckings YEARS because they've never had the strength/ability/numbers/power to actually say, "this is not ok."

Dude, absolutely call it out, and the dude that does it should feel shame. The "you" in "when 'you' overstate" isn't the victim, it's the fucking SWJ trying to step in and draw attention to themselves instead of the problem. If this thread were full of, "he touched me, I called him out, and things got better" stories, I wouldn't even be posting in it.

Look at my example with the gay dude back on page 2 or whatever, basically the same thing on the airplane. You called him out, and that's the end of it.

Back