• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

I don't think this is an applicable analogy, especially if you're discussing physical harm.

If you physically hurt someone then you are most likely in a worse situation than standing around the break room at work talking about what you're doing this weekend.

ETA: Neither situation is it okay to touch a lady's hiney. Unless you're Billy Madison

I wasn’t talking about physical harm...and it’s not an analogy.

it's not about danger, it's about being marginalized, publicly at that

You argue that this instance was marginalized? I would argue that it's being sensationalized. It's on pretty much every single media outlet. Do you think it should be?

You argue that this instance was marginalized? I would argue that it's being sensationalized. It's on pretty much every single media outlet. Do you think it should be?

no she as a human being is being marginalized

It's weird how some people are so unable to empathize that any issue has to relate back to how a similar personal situation they dealt with made them feel -- and they believe the way it made them feel is how it should make everyone feel. Definitely a a little piece of the old brain missing.

Pot calls the kettle what? This is the point. Everyone will have a different reaction to different situations. Each situation varies based on the maliciousness of the event. We can't just lump everything that makes anyone uncomfortable in the "sexual assault bucket". Also, you and others like to dismiss anecdotes. Why is that? Personal anecdotes are actual experiences to talk about..Not some unoriginal bullshit #hottake that conforms to how you're told you're supposed to feel. Try being original for once. I'd love to hear some personal anecdotes from you.

And to be clear, it's very easy to empathize with victims and my personal situations aren't intended to take away from any of the harm that many have experienced.

Last edited:
Pretty sure GHWB should stop touching, hugging, or grabbing the rears and give up the lame joking about copping a feel. Just sit and have your picture taken without the arm and hand action.

I feel he never intended any harm or threat. But his routine accompanied with repeated lame humor seems to betray an awareness of the potential to be perceived as engaging in unwanted and inappropriate touching.

How are you not constantly fucking infuriated? If a woman being inappropriately patted on the butt causes you "outrage," how the fuck do you even begin to process the world? Do you just not know about the things I know about? Is your spectrum of emotion confined to 7-8/10 constant anger?

This is what I genuinely don't understand about you people - I cannot both be "outraged" by women being patted on the butt and equally "outraged" by rape. Rape outrages me and disgusts me. Sex trafficking makes me want to enact physical reprisal. Compared to rape and sex trafficking, I cannot have the same feelings about butt pats. Yes, it's a violation of someone's personal space, and damn, that shouldn't happen -- but it isn't death by friendly fire on the battle field and it isn't the harsh randomness of terminal cancer.

There's a line somewhere that people just need to fucking get over it. Otherwise we're just 7 billion sacks of blood with PTSD. ELC is right - if you over-state the butt-pat, it diminishes the rape (assuming these apples can even be compared).

Or if you dismiss men inappropriately touching women, it emboldens and excuses those who commit sexual assault. These assholes are going to push the line to what they think they can get away with.
Who is saying they feel the same about "butt pat" and rape? People are saying both are wrong and neither should be excused. I don't think a guy needs to go to jail for a long time for patting a butt, but it should be made clear it is not appropriate. It should not be excused because, "Hey, it happens all the time and it isn't rape". The problem is, it happens all the time. So, for many simpletons like you, it is considered normal, excusable behavior. There are settings where it carries more weight and effect than others.

I read it, and responded. When your issue occurred, did you obtain the man's name and go to the press/social media to ensure he was properly shamed? No, you called him out immediately, probably embarrassed the hell out of him in front of a bunch of strangers (perhaps friends/family/colleagues too), and I certainly hope he never acted that way again. Or at least that's how I read your story.

I think that's the way this woman should have handled this issue. But, we can certainty agree to disagree. It appears that you, and others, feel that GHWB should have been publicly shamed at the end of his life in front of millions.

Ok, and apparently that woman did not feel comfortable making a point of it right then, for various reasons... some of which you're making obvious right now. Just because the person who did it is considered to be a 'fine American' does not make it ok.
It seems like GHWB is handling his reaction appropriately and hopefully he's done with his lame 'joke' or whatever. If he had not been called out, would this have happened? How many people have seen or heard of him telling this joke and acting this way before now? "Oh, but it's fine - it's just GHWB! He's greaaaat, and married! No harm, no foul!"
Massive. Eye. Roll. Nobody gets a pass, and the response to this story is so effing backwards. The fact that the general consensus is NOT "oh man, yikes. he shouldn't have done that, I hope he apologizes" speaks volumes to the actual issue, especially when couple with the fact that you're ACTUALLY GETTING UPSET AT A WOMAN FOR THE FACT SOMEONE TOUCHED HER INAPPROPRIATELY. You might think this is just some one-off attention grab thing for her, but do you not understand that THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH ALL OF THIS BEHAVIOR AND THE WHOLE POINT OF THE 'ME TOO' THING IS TO GET PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND HOW FREQUENTLY IT HAPPENS WITHOUT ANY TYPE OF REPERCUSSIONS FOR THE PEOPLE DOING IT.

Let's put it this way in terms of the whole "giving him a pass" thing. An old man in a wheelchair pinches your ass. Do you (1) call the cops, (2) slap him, (3) cuss at him and accuse him of sexual assault, (4) ask him politely not to, or (5) roll your eyes and blow it off? I'm guessing 4 or 5, and the reason is the context of it. He's old, he's wrong and likely knows it, but he's also harmless. I know millennials think they're hot shit and world changers, but we haven't acted in that way since the beginning of time because we somehow weren't as advanced in our morality as millennials. We've acted that way precisely because the situation warrants such a response. 1, 2, and 3 are all overkill. We reserve the first 3 for something a bit more serious.

I don't know if you're being difficult on purpose, or what. The fact of the matter is all of these behaviors have had their eyes rolled at forever because when women try to bring to light the fact it makes them uncomfortable, you are literally telling us to brush it off and get over it. Hell, you can do that, so why can't I? Oh, and that's cool that your wife will also roll her eyes and move on. And guess what, I have also managed to 'get over' the fact the guy did it to me on the plane. But why should I have to? Why is it a problem to begin with? Because you and people like you are effectively condoning the behavior. You can't contain this behavior to just 'old guys' or 'married guys' or 'guys that mean well' or 'good citizens' and saying it's ok for one group just normalizes and makes it somehow acceptable on a wider scale.

Why should your wife even be in a position to have to brush something off. Why is it up to me to have to figure out how to respond to these behaviors. Why can't men just NOT FUCKING TOUCH MY ASS.

People like you need to step in and say, blanket statement, THIS IS NOT OK. This is never ok. Is it rape? Is it aggravated assault? No. It doesn't matter. It is still NOT OK. Stop trying to tell people that it is ever ok.

Last edited:
or he should just not grab women's asses

It's super easy to not grab a woman's ass.

I don't get why certain people feel entitled to touch women unwanted.

I've literally not been grabbing random women's asses all my life.

This is the ultimate 1L view of the world. Christ.

Of the 7 billion people on the planet, how many people do you think are touched without consent on a daily basis? It's gotta be more than half. I do it at least 10 times a day on average. I don't go up to my daughter and ask her before I pick her up. I don't go up to my co-worker and ask before I pat him on the back for a job well done. I don't ask my wife before reaching my arms around her waist at the kitchen sink. I don't ask the woman whose purse contents have spilled out on the floor if it's ok if I help pick them up.
If you are comparing those actions to a man grabbing a woman's ass, I guess I now see why your think your experience is equal to that of most women in terms of sexual assault and inappropriate physical advances.
I am pretty sure the law also sees a distinction. Seems pretty stupid to try to insult another lawyer for only having elementary understanding of the law and then make such a dumb equivalence.

what the hell?
"Over-state" the butt pat. Call it out, because it's NOT OK for someone to think they have the ability to just do this because it's "no big deal." Fuck you, buddy. You're telling me to walk around feeling like a damn piece of meat, put up with people patting my butt and commenting on my figure or whatever they want... and then I should what. Just suck it up and get over that because "hey! at least they didn't rape me!"

Calling out behaviors for being inappropriate and starting that conversation and culture change DOES NOTHING TO DIMINISH RAPE. What it DOES do is start people in realizing that, 'oh! hey! maybe this isn't ok, either!' but women have put up with it for fuckings YEARS because they've never had the strength/ability/numbers/power to actually say, "this is not ok."
Guess what. Now we do, and you're hearing it, and I'm sorry if your fucking panties are in a wad about it but hey. GET OVER IT.

Holy Takedown! Well said.
It will take people in position of power and other guys to condemn this for there to be any change. As long as there are shitheads grabbing turds and excusing this, that will just perpetuate the behavior. How big of an asshole do you have to be to object to the idea that we should recognize that men shouldn't make unwanted physical advances on women.

Samesies. I bet there aren't any non consensual ass grabbers on these boards. Now if we stumble over the packpride...

I bet you're wrong.

Sexual assault is way more widespread than most men know.

Just like racism is way more widespread than most white people know.

Ok, and apparently that woman did not feel comfortable making a point of it right then, for various reasons... some of which you're making obvious right now. Just because the person who did it is considered to be a 'fine American' does not make it ok.
It seems like GHWB is handling his reaction appropriately and hopefully he's done with his lame 'joke' or whatever. If he had not been called out, would this have happened? How many people have seen or heard of him telling this joke and acting this way before now? "Oh, but it's fine - it's just GHWB! He's greaaaat, and married! No harm, no foul!"
Massive. Eye. Roll. Nobody gets a pass, and the response to this story is so effing backwards. The fact that the general consensus is NOT "oh man, yikes. he shouldn't have done that, I hope he apologizes" speaks volumes to the actual issue, especially when couple with the fact that you're ACTUALLY GETTING UPSET AT A WOMAN FOR THE FACT SOMEONE TOUCHED HER INAPPROPRIATELY. You might think this is just some one-off attention grab thing for her, but do you not understand that THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH ALL OF THIS BEHAVIOR AND THE WHOLE POINT OF THE 'ME TOO' THING IS TO GET PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND HOW FREQUENTLY IT HAPPENS WITHOUT ANY TYPE OF REPERCUSSIONS FOR THE PEOPLE DOING IT.

Who is upset at her? I'm certainly not. Again, tough for me to get "upset" or "outraged" at something like this. Maybe I do have a finite amount of those things, @numbers. Giving my opinion that she could have handled it at the time of the situation, or more privately after the fact, with a 93 year old, dying former president really seems reasonable to me.

Who is upset at her? I'm certainly not. Again, tough for me to get "upset" or "outraged" at something like this. Maybe I do have a finite amount of those things, @numbers. Giving my opinion that she could have handled it at the time of the situation, or more privately after the fact, with a 93 year old, dying former president really seems reasonable to me.

You're doing it again. You are making a hostile environment for someone to come forward with someone else's inappropriate actions. You are part of the problem.

There is always a reason. There is always a criticism of how someone could have come forward 'better.' There is always a "I can't believe she's got the gall to say this, now, of all times" reaction - rather than "man, he shouldn't have done that."

I’m sure Woods would have appreciated a public exclamation and maybe a slap of the POTUS for good measure

Back