• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

I wonder how Aziz would have responded if Grace had said, as soon as he started kissing and undressing her, “oh, no. I’m so sorry if I’ve given you the wrong impression. I don’t want to be intimate with you on our first date. No kissing, nakedness or anything of the sort. If that’s all you’re interested in, then thanks for dinner. Goodnight. Call me if you’re interested in getting to know me better.”

Yep. Speak up and let your intentions be known.

Dude, it is no more complicated that try to create a distribution of heart rates during different types of sexual encounters. I'm not a cardiologist, but I dabble in statistics. I can show you my r-codes if you need proof.
This is pretty much what I was saying earlier. PH wasn't having it!

Dude, it is no more complicated that try to create a distribution of heart rates during different types of sexual encounters. I'm not a cardiologist, but I dabble in statistics. I can show you my r-codes if you need proof.

Yeah. That's complicated too. Both are way more complicated than consent should be which was my point.

Yeah. That's complicated too. Both are way more complicated than consent should be which was my point.
It seemed to me that your point was that we could make issues of consent simpler by using heartrate as a metric by which we could measure it

It seemed to me that your point was that we could make issues of consent simpler by using heartrate as a metric by which we could measure it

No. We were talking about a hypothetical app that would broker a consent contract between two potential sexual partners. You came up with a hypothetical situation in which one potential partner was forced to consent on the app. I responded with a hypothetical way to address that concern using wearable technology.

None of that is simpler than an ideal situation in which two people decide between themselves how they'll have sex.

You came up with a hypothetical situation in which one potential partner was forced to consent on the app. I responded with a hypothetical way to address that concern using wearable technology.

None of that is simpler than an ideal situation in which two people decide between themselves how they'll have sex.

That wasn't me. And I shared my (non-expert) concerns about heartrate as a way to address it. But I totally agree with you about the last bit.

You did.

Good point. Still seems a bit cynical to me, but our culture of frustration, ambiguity, and regret might necessitate something like this.

The screenshot in the article I saw had a clause you could check off that said "disease-free" or something. It suggested that lying on this electronic form could constitute a legal violation.

The article also implied that you could somehow revoke consent mid-encounter. But agreed, while it does require that there be a conversation about consent before a sexual encounter, such an app would do little to address the problems of (visible and invisible) coercion or pressure.

Yeah. It was still all hypotheticals.

Two things have surprised me with this whole Aziz controversy.

First, there is a clear split between Gen X and millennial women on this.

Second, it's been like 4 days and it seems like everybody has forgotten Aziz's whole RAAAAAAAANDY persona from Funny People and his special (I kid you not) Intimate Moments For a Sensual Evening. Grace's account sounded like she wanted to hook up with Aziz and got RAAAAAAAANDY instead.

https://medium.com/@persimmontree/consenting-to-normal-d3c5ec2c5b99

I thought this was interesting:

There is an immense amount of pressure for survivors to be the right kind of victim with the right kind of assault story and all the right kind of evidence, because the punishments that follow must also be harsh and absolute. In this paradigm, there is little room for cases where survivors want safety and accountability without criminalization or social isolation, and little room for people who may want accountability for sexual harm that they themselves may not identify as sexual assault or rape. In spite of how varied the experiences of sexual violence and harm can be, the collective responses that we currently have remain painfully limited. As Native organizer and writer Kelly Hayes says, “We exceptionalize both “good” and “bad” people to spare ourselves the labor of interrogating normalcy — the very space in which most harm occurs.” Our sense of “normalcy” that Kelly refers to is predicated on that which should not be normalized — the acceptance of everyday forms of sexual violence, coercion and harm. This larger context creates strong incentive for everyone to not label their experiences, even when they are violent or harmful. And it is from this place that minimization, denial and normalization are exceedingly common for many who’ve experienced sexual violence and harm.

from the banner:

"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT"

giphy.gif

from the banner:

giphy.gif

Yeah, I'm not buying that premise. MeToo isn't dead or going away anytime soon. I mean in the span of a few months a bunch of Hollywood and media bigwigs have been completely taken down, likely forever. And I don't see the equal pay issue going away either. We may not get to dollar for dollar, but movie companies aren't going to want to continue making bad excuses for large discrepancies for what they're paying their male and female leads. It's been a growing issue over the last few years and is getting louder. I loved the joke Ricky Gervais told at the Golden Globes a year or 2 ago that he was getting paid the same amount that Tina and Amy got paid the prior year and that it was their fault for splitting it.

This is a huge deal. Coaches and college employees were sending girls and young women to this guy and were discouraging them from reporting anything.

In 2000, MSU softball player Tiffany Thomas Lopez saw Nassar for back pain, and was digitally penetrated by Nassar during treatments. She told her team trainer, who referred her to MSU athletic trainer Destiny Teachnor-Hauk.

“I was told [by Teachnor-Hauk] if I felt extremely uncomfortable then of course we could pursue something but I was assured this was actual medical treatment,” said Thomas Lopez. “If I decided to pursue something, it was going to cast a burden over my family. She said it was going cause a lot of heartache, it was going to cause a lot of trauma and why would I want drag him through this?”

Teachnor-Hauk told investigators in 2014 that “has never had a complaint about Dr. Nassar.” In 2017, Teachnor-Hauk told police and FBI that she “never had an athlete tell her that Nassar made them uncomfortable.”

Teachnor-Hauk declined to be interviewed by the Detroit News. She is still the athletic trainer in charge of MSU women’s gymnastics.

WTF MSU

MSU's student newspaper:

Back