• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

Jennifer Rubin: Here they come

Could go several places—I’ll put it here.

—————
President Trump continually insists, no matter what the tragedy, that he is the biggest victim — not slain Army Sgt. La David Johnson or his family; not Puerto Rico residents; and not his opponent, who was harmed (not helped, as he was) by Russian meddling in the election. The “dishonest media” (the worst!), Barack Obama, Democrats, Republicans, etc. — all have dealt him an unfair hand. He will even deny abused women their victimhood — casting accused abusers (that would include him, right?) as the real victims.

Politico reports:

Hogan Gidley, a White House deputy press secretary, said Monday on Fox & Friends that “the president has been out against domestic violence for a long time” and that “the president deplores, thinks that domestic violence is grotesque. He’s said that on multiple occasions and there’s no place for it in this country. There’s no place for it in this White House and the president won’t stand for it.”

Really, Trump has said unequivocally that women should be believed, especially when a slew of them step forward with detailed, credible accounts? Especially when photographic evidence exists? I’ve missed that. No, what he has said is that Rob Porter and Roy Moore denied the allegations, so we have to “take that into account.” He has said all sides need to be heard. He has labeled all his accusers liars.

Jennie Willoughby, an ex-wife of disgraced former White House staff secretary Rob Porter, has had quite enough of Trump’s routine. In response to his Saturday tweet whining that men’s lives are being “shattered” when their abusers step forward (“Peoples lives are being shattered and destroyed by a mere allegation. Some are true and some are false. ... There is no recovery for someone falsely accused — life and career are gone. Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?”), Willoughby writes:

The words “mere allegation” and “falsely accused” meant to imply that I am a liar. That Colbie Holderness is a liar. That the work Rob was doing in the White House was of higher value than our mental, emotional or physical wellbeing. That his professional contributions are worth more than the truth. That abuse is something to be questioned and doubted. ...

I think the issue here is deeper than whether Trump, or General John Kelly, or Sarah Huckabee Sanders, or Senator Orrin Hatch, or Hope Hicks, or whether anyone else believes me or defends Rob. Society as a whole has a fear of addressing our worst secrets. (Just ask any African-American citizen). It’s as if we have a societal blind spot that creates an obstacle to understanding. Society as a whole doesn’t acknowledge the reality of abuse.

She explains: “Ultimately, this is not a political issue. This is a societal issue, and the tone has just been reset by the White House. If the most powerful people in the nation do not believe my story of abuse in the face of overwhelming evidence, then what hope do others have of being heard?” She adds, “In light of the President’s and the White House’s continued dismissal of me and Colbie, I want to assure you my truth has not been diminished. I own my story and now that I have been compelled to share it, I’m not willing to cover it up for anyone. And for any men, women, or children currently in situations of abuse, please know: It is real. You are not crazy.

Trump of all people should understand that nothing can compete with millions of people filled with rage who feel that they’ve been ignored. Feeding white grievance (built on the fundamentally false pretense that whites are treated worse than nonwhites) got him elected. Now, a larger group filled with righteous, justified anger is going to get its day at the polls in November.

Trump is not going to stop this cultural epiphany; he’s going to be dragged under by it. He’s not taking the wind out of the #MeToo movement; he’s its best recruiting tool. If Republicans stick by him, they will be pulled under by a movement that increasingly portrays the GOP as a party enabling abuse. Decisive victories for Democrats in the midterms that set the stage for hearings on the sexual allegations against him (and on his potential obstruction of the Russia investigation), would be a fitting comeuppance for Trump and his enablers.
—————

Women senators demand vote on sexual harassment bill

All 22 women senators, from both sides of the political aisle, signed on to a letter sent to Senate leaders Wednesday demanding a vote on legislation that would reform the way Congress handles allegations of sexual harassment.

The legislation was being considered but ultimately not included in a catch-all spending bill that President Donald Trump signed into law last week. Sources tell NBC News that McConnell had objected to including the measure because some senators had concerns with a provision of the bill that would require an accused lawmaker to be personally responsible for any settlements paid.

They want to continue to use taxpayer funds to pay sexual harassment settlements.

Elizabeth Esty won’t seek reelection amid scrutiny of chief of staff’s departure

Yielding to pressure, Rep. Elizabeth Esty announced Monday that she will not seek reelection following reports that it took her three months to dismiss her chief of staff after he threatened to kill a former colleague.

Esty (D-Conn.), who was first elected to the House in 2012, came under fire on Thursday after The Washington Post and other news outlets reported allegations that the chief of staff, Tony Baker, had repeatedly harassed and on one occasion punched a subordinate, Anna Kain, while the two worked in Esty’s office.

Kain sought and received a one-year restraining order against Baker after he threatened to “f---ing kill” her in a May 2016 voice-mail message obtained by The Post. He remained in his position until mid-August of that year after he and Esty negotiated a formal separation agreement that included a nondisclosure agreement and a promise that she would recommend him for jobs outside Washington. He soon obtained a job at Sandy Hook Promise, a group created after the 2012 mass shooting in Esty’s district.

As State Lawmaker Claims Abuse, Party Leaders Shield Her Colleague

After an internal House investigation in March found Ms. Toohil’s complaints to be credible — along with those of another woman, a political consultant — Republican leaders called on Mr. Miccarelli to resign.

But Mr. Miccarelli, who denies both women’s accusations, has refused to quit, leading to the astonishing sight of one lawmaker being protected from another by a husky bodyguard in the Capitol Complex in Harrisburg.

Prediction: the boards' partisan hacks who were quick to pounce on Al Franken and remained completely silent about Donald Trump, Blake Farenthold and Steve Wynn will jump all over this.

The ones who still post at least. It’s so predictable. Party over everything.

ETA: real life partisan hacks will pounce all over this too

Last edited:
ETA: real life partisan hacks will pounce all over this too

The allegations are indeed awful, and he ought to resign. Having said that, I'm already seeing Trumpites gleefully ridiculing liberal "hypocrisy" on this issue. I'm sure it will hit full force tomorrow and for the rest of the week, and Trumpites will have a field day with this one.

Liberals will call for him to step down as usual. Conservatives would accuse the women of lying or believe them and support him anyway if he was a Republican.

The ones who still post at least. It’s so predictable. Party over everything.

Lol you guys are already making this thing a tribal issue. It’s not all these jerkoffs need to be rooted out, it doesn’t matter what team they play for.
Instead of commenting on how fucked up the story was it instantly becomes the game of sides you literally just made it.

Lol you guys are already making this thing a tribal issue. It’s not all these jerkoffs need to be rooted out, it doesn’t matter what team they play for.
Instead of commenting on how fucked up the story was it instantly becomes the game of sides you literally just made it.

Of course they need to be rooted out, but if liberals are the only ones making this a "tribal issue", what about Kellyanne's tweet? Or all the snarky little posts I see already popping up from conservatives on social media? Are they not being "tribal" too?

Back