• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

Charlie f'in Rose

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...81fd63f174d_story.html?utm_term=.a91b27434068

Eight women have told The Washington Post that longtime television host Charlie Rose made unwanted sexual advances toward them, including lewd phone calls, walking around naked in their presence, or groping their breasts, buttocks or genital areas.
The women were employees or aspired to work for Rose at the “Charlie Rose” show from the late 1990s to as recently as 2011. They ranged in age from 21 to 37 at the time of the alleged encounters. Rose, 75, whose show airs on PBS, also co-hosts “CBS This Morning” and is a contributing correspondent for “60 Minutes.”
There are striking commonalities in the accounts of the women, each of whom described their interactions with Rose in multiple interviews with The Post. For all of the women, reporters interviewed friends, colleagues or family members who said the women had confided in them about aspects of the incidents. Three of the eight spoke on the record.

Damn. I've really enjoyed watching his show on PBS over the years - he's had some great guests, and it's much more serious and thoughtful than the usual nighttime talk shows. Very disappointing news - but there's no doubt his career should be over if this is true (and there's no reason to think it's not). I'm a liberal and not one to "bosides" an issue, but I don't think either conservatives or liberals have much room to brag on this issue. Liberals do support a woman's right to choose on abortion, which I think is huge, but on this topic they've shown plenty of flaws themselves. The Religious Right are hypocrites because they talk up their support for "traditional family values" and the "sanctity of the home", yet so many of their heroes don't even try to practice what they preach. Newt Gingrich, Bob Livingston, Dennis Hastert, Bob Packwood, Mark Sanford, Larry Craig, Mark Foley, Roy Moore, and the list goes on and on (one "family values" anti-gay rights dude in the Ohio legislature resigned just last week when it was discovered he was having sex with a man in his office). And that doesn't include all of the fundamentalist ministers and televangelists who've been caught over the years in scandals, going all the way back to Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker, and more recently Bristol Palin, the Duggars, and the Duck Dynasty guys.

OTOH, liberals and feminists mostly did defend Bill Clinton and attacked his accusers, and they also defended Ted Kennedy for decades. Along with them are Franken, Anthony Weiner, Eliot Spitzer, John Edwards, Gary Condit, Gary Hart, Barney Frank, and Gerry Studds (some of these men resigned, some didn't). And, just as conservatives have had issues with prominent ministers and evangelists and sex scandals, liberals have tended to ignore all the Hollywood types who have had issues, such as Weinstein, and gladly taken their campaign money over the years. There's plenty of hypocrisy on both sides of this issue, and it's been going on for decades. I remember reading David Halberstam's book The Fifties, where he talked about a prominent Senator from that era, Estes Kefauver of Tennessee. He was nicknamed "The Claw" by other Senators and DC journalists because of his habit of groping women in Capitol Hill elevators. People (including many women) have simply looked the other way for decades. Maybe things will finally change in both parties following all of these revelations, but I have my doubts. As a liberal I do strongly believe that women are better served by liberal policies, but I won't pretend that they don't have their own demons on this topic.

ETA: I do think that the charges against Roy Moore are at another level of disgusting...I mean, voting against him should be an easy decision. It really says something about our times that so many in Alabama are having difficulty with it.

Last edited:
It's good all this is starting to happen now. Maybe we'll see some real swamp draining going into the primaries.

Pretty straight forward read. Can't say any of this is surprising. Definitely good that it's coming out into the light. The big question going forward is how did this ridiculous Congressional cover up process come to be? How do we dismantle it?

As far as Conyers, how did prominent a alt-right figure get his hands on documents detailing allegations against a prominent Dem Congressman? Is there an underground political battle to see who can implicate which party first?

Last edited:
It's good all this is starting to happen now. Maybe we'll see some real swamp draining going into the primaries.

Pretty straight forward read. Can't say any of this is surprising. Definitely good that it's coming out into the light. The big question going forward is how did this ridiculous Congressional cover up process come to be? How do we dismantle it?

As far as Conyers, how did prominent a alt-right figure get his hands on documents detailing allegations against a prominent Dem Congressman? Is there an underground political battle to see who can implicate which party first?
:popcorn:

Of course there is. Now that we have seen how quickly accusations can reshape the political landscape via a senate election, this is going to become a big money industry. Even more so than before.

"Me too" isn't not just a tool of one party or political ideology. Both sides will be shown to have shamelessly abused their positions of power over women for decades. What will likely become a clear line in the sand is how each side handles purging these people from their ranks.

Of course there is. Now that we have seen how quickly accusations can reshape the political landscape via a senate election, this is going to become a big money industry. Even more so than before.

"Me too" isn't not just a tool of one party or political ideology. Both sides will be shown to have shamelessly abused their positions of power over women for decades. What will likely become a clear line in the sand is how each side handles purging these people from their ranks.

yep, this is an indictment of our culture, not a political party.

Yup good post.

Even if his stuff is PG compared to Trump (and is it really? He grabbed a woman's ass in a photo-op), the general public is not making that distinction. It gives people like Trump and Moore people to point to as a reason not to step down themselves. What Franken did was wrong. The fact that it was "less wrong" than what other people did is irrelevant.

More importantly, the Democrats as a party should take a zero tolerance stance on this, regardless of whether Republicans do. It's the right thing to do and it shows a concern for women's rights. How can you be a progressive party if you're giving a pass to your own members who commit sexual assault?

Because Franken is a Democrat.

There's ugliness on both sides. Only one side is even talking about accountability.

Because Franken is a Democrat.

There's ugliness on both sides. Only one side is even talking about accountability.

Seriously, one side is debating removing an increasingly guilty senator from office and the other side nominated and then elected an admitted sexual assaulter to the presidency. Equating the responses of the parties is a false equivalency.

I thought that your all was only referring to the gropers, who would unfortunately only constitute the surface scum of the swamp.

Are you saying only the lefties care about skimming the gropers? Just making sure I understand your point.

Getting a pass compared to what he would be getting if he was a Republican is what I meant. If it was a Republican, Democratic politicians would be up in arms. But because it's a Democrat, they largely haven't been, and neither have Republicans, probably because they know they have their assaulter in chief in the White House. Seems like everyone's content to kick the can down the road to an investigation.

Do you realize that the Republicans nominated and elected to the presidency an admitted sexual assaulter? Claiming he's getting a pass because he's a Dem is an interesting take given the way Pubs address Trumps transgressions/revelations a little over a year ago.

Last edited:
Back