• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Charges Filed in Mueller Investigation

It's amazing that the GOP is rallying around the most unpopular president in December of his first term in polling history. Somehow his 35% approval overall, and 31% approval among Independents isn't a sign that the 77% of Republicans who approval are way out of touch with the rest of the country.

It's amazing that the GOP is rallying around the most unpopular president in December of his first term in polling history. Somehow his 35% approval overall, and 31% approval among Independents isn't a sign that the 77% of Republicans who approval are way out of touch with the rest of the country.

Yeah I've been scratching my head over this for months. I don't know if there is some weird feedback cycle going on where the GOP believes they need to stand by Trump to appease the base...which then leads to the base seeing the GOP and the mainstream conservative media confirm their beliefs. Rinse. Repeat.

Or if Congressional Republicans and the party apparatus are just oblivious. Almost like a bad relationship where you know deep down inside theres no future and you're alienating friends but you think it's only a phase.

Or I may be way overthinking it... and the reality is that Republican leaders are a big bunch of dotards following a big orange dotard over a cliff.

I mean all of the electoral math is downright awful for Republicans heading into 18.

I think the bad relationship analogy is apt but more like this.

It’s like your friend is dating a horrible girl and you can’t tell him how bad he is without risking losing his friendship. So you stay supportive and just get along with her. You know deep down inside that he has better taste than that and he’ll eventually break up with her and get on with his life and make better choices down the road. If you confront him, you will just drive him closer to her.

Republicans probably don’t think this is permanent. They think they’ll stay loyal, Trump will lose in 2020 and they’ll get back to contrarian politics and get back Congress in 2022 and the White House in 2024. Basically they’ll take a 2 year hit for this.

I’m becoming convinced that the GOP knows they are dead as a matter of demographics and mathematics. This is the big kahuna, the pinnacle of their phony ideology and they are cutting up the booty before they are run out of power by a younger, browner, and more feminine electorate. The next generation is young and tolerant and aware and urban and less religious and collective. And they aren’t getting a piece of the pie under the status quo and they know it.

I’m becoming convinced that the GOP knows they are dead as a matter of demographics and mathematics. This is the big kahuna, the pinnacle of their phony ideology and they are cutting up the booty before they are run out of power by a younger, browner, and more feminine electorate. The next generation is young and tolerant and aware and urban and less religious and collective. And they aren’t getting a piece of the pie under the status quo and they know it.

Then another building will blow up and the young enlightened folks will get scared and sign right up for the young republican club again

True.

Then another building will blow up and the young enlightened folks will get scared and sign right up for the young republican club again

Also true.

I disagree. They all voted for the appeaser in cheif in 08 and 12, what makes you think they are running to the bomb everyone party? They are for gun control and tolerant of Islam and are ready to make deals to denuclearize

I disagree. They all voted for the appeaser in cheif in 08 and 12, what makes you think they are running to the bomb everyone party? They are for gun control and tolerant of Islam and are ready to make deals to denuclearize

I'd also argue that most of us (at least those who lived through 9/11) have adapted somewhat to the threat. We should never let it become normalized (like mass shootings have become) but I also realize the chances of dying in a terrorist attack are slim to none (and lower than a mass shooting). And this is coming from someone who lived down the street from where the Boston Marathon bombs went off and has friends who were injured in the attack.

Those assholes win when we change our way of life. And fuck them...they don't get to win.

I could be alone in this belief but based on conversations with other millenials, we all pretty much feel the same way.

That being said - if god forbid something worse than 9/11 comes across, all bets are off.

I hope you're right. But young millennials (born in the 90s) haven't had their own 9/11. They experienced it as kids but not as adults. I think a lot of Gen Xers let 9/11 pull them toward hate and the Bush administration thrived off it.

I hope you're right. But young millennials (born in the 90s) haven't had their own 9/11. They experienced it as kids but not as adults. I think a lot of Gen Xers let 9/11 pull them toward hate and the Bush administration thrived off it.

I disagree. As a genXer who was 31 when it happened i saw the boomers get scared as fuck and support the stupid Iraq invasion, and my generation recognized American/Western foreign policy (anchored in fossil fuel profits) in the ME was at least partially (if not largely) responsible for the rise of anti-western Islamic fundamentalist terrorism.

It’s why they keep having to gerrymander to the old rural rednecks in the boondocks to hold power

Last edited:

Definitely an interesting report but it poses more questions than it answers.

Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn have sought bank records about entities associated with the family company of Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, according to four people briefed on the matter.

In recent weeks, prosecutors from the United States attorney’s office in the Eastern District of New York subpoenaed records from Deutsche Bank, the giant German financial institution that has lent hundreds of millions of dollars to the Kushner family real estate business.

Mr. Kushner, who was the Kushner Companies’ chief executive until January, still owns part of the business after selling some of his stake. The family businesses include many legal entities. It is not clear which records were sought by prosecutors, what they are seeking to learn from them or to what degree, if any, they directly involve Mr. Kushner.

There is no indication that the subpoena is related to the investigation being conducted by Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel, into Russian meddling in the 2016 United States presidential election. Three prosecutors on Mr. Mueller’s team previously worked at the United States attorney’s office in Brooklyn, one as recently as this year. Federal prosecutors around the country typically check with Justice Department headquarters when their investigations may overlap.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Brooklyn United States attorney has been investigating the Kushner businesses’ use of a program known as EB-5. It offers visas to overseas investors in exchange for $500,000 investments in real estate projects.

But Deutsche Bank does not appear to have been involved in Kushner real estate projects financed through the EB-5 program. That suggests the prosecutors’ subpoena may be unrelated to the visa program. “We are unaware of any inquiry directed at Deutsche Bank from the E.D.N.Y. and have no reason to believe there is one,” said a spokeswoman for the Kushner Companies, referring to the Eastern District of New York.

Last edited:

Back