• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Charges Filed in Mueller Investigation

Because I certainly hope the IT folks that run the government aren't the ones leaking.

The first paragraph of the article says sources are Trump transition officials.

Special Counsel Robert Mueller has obtained “many tens of thousands" of Trump transition emails, including emails of Jared Kushner, transition team sources tell Axios.

Trump officials discovered Mueller had the emails when his prosecutors used them as the basis for questions to witnesses, the sources said.

Last edited:
In a phone interview with BuzzFeed News on Saturday night, Loewentritt (GSA Deputy Counsel) disputed the claims made in the letter sent by the Trump campaign.

"Beckler never made that commitment," he said of the claim that any requests for transition records would be routed to the Trump campaign's counsel.

Specifically, Loewentritt said, "in using our devices," transition team members were informed that materials "would not be held back in any law enforcement" actions.

Loewentritt read to BuzzFeed News a series of agreements that anyone had to agree to when using GSA materials during the transition, including that there could be monitoring and auditing of devices and that, "Therefore, no expectation of privacy can be assumed."

Loewentritt told BuzzFeed News that the GSA initially "suggested a warrant or subpoena" for the materials, but that the Special Counsel's Office determined the letter route was sufficient.

As to whether the Trump campaign should have been informed of the request, Loewentritt said, "That's between the Special Counsel and the transition team."

A spokesperson for the Special Counsel's Office declined to comment on the initial Axios report about the emails and did not immediately respond to a follow-up request for comment about claims made by Langhofer and Loewentritt.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/ch...utm_term=.wppzba09x&__twitter_impression=true

Langhofer claims the production of transition materials to the Special Counsel's Office by GSA violated "GSA's duties to" the Trump campaign, a Presidential Transition Act requirement that "computers or communications services" to the transition team be "secure," and the Fourth Amendment. (At the same time, however, Langhofer makes clear he believes the current law should be changed "to protect future presidential transitions from having their private records misappropriated by government agencies.")

In other words, obtaining the emails was perfectly legal under existing law.

My initial reaction to this:

1. LOL at Trump and his base for thinking this scandal is a nothingburger that will be cleared up by Thanksgiving 2017
2. It sucks for our country to have this cloud hanging over us for maybe another year. But it needs to be done. Would be nice if Republicans, Fox News and the rest of Trump's base let the investigation unfold without any interference. If this was Hillary, you would have impeached and locked her up already (you know you would...don't deny it) so stop with the partisan hypocrisy.
3. A lot of people are going down. Like a lot.

Last edited:
The emails they got are from .gov accounts.

Yes. And they wrote the letter and complaint to Congress. If this complaint had any legal merit, it would have been argued in a court. Board lawyers, please chime in if I am wrong.

Well if you're gonna end the investigation, ya mine as well take out the trash on Christmas. There's no way this needs to take 2 years.

My initial reaction to this:

1. LOL at Trump and his base for thinking this scandal is a nothingburger that will be cleared up by Thanksgiving 2017
2. It sucks for our country to have this cloud hanging over us for maybe another year. But it needs to be done. Would be nice if Republicans, Fox News and the rest of Trump's base let the investigation unfold without any interference. If this was Hillary, you would have impeached and locked her up already (you know you would...don't deny it) so stop with the partisan hypocrisy.
3. A lot of people are going down. Like a lot.

The handwriting is on the wall. Makes you wonder why so many Republican politicians are lining up with an administration under investigation going into midterms.

The handwriting is on the wall. Makes you wonder why so many Republican politicians are lining up with an administration under investigation going into midterms.

Definitely makes you wonder...

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” House Majority Leader and California Republican Rep. Kevin McCarthy reportedly said in mid-June 2016, referring to the leading presidential candidate and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a Californian Republican known for defending Russia.

Some lawmakers present laughed, to which McCarthy said: “swear to God.” House Speaker Paul Ryan told lawmakers to keep the exchange between them.

“No leaks," he said. "This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

A Ryan spokesman initially told the Post the exchange "never happened." When told there was a recording, the spokesman Brendan Buck said it was "clearly an attempt at humor."

Because the rubes care about loyalty to Trump much more than the results of this investigation. Republicans, especially those in the House, absolutely cannot win without the rubes.

Can a person reject a pardon?

Flynn is probably the most likely to receive a pardon given his proximity to the president throughout the ENTIRE election, transition and early days in the White House. I have a hard time believing there isn't a clause in Flynn's agreement that would trigger a state charge or a charge against Flynn's son in the event of a presidential pardon or non-cooperation. Long way to say it may be in Flynn's best interest to not receive a pardon from Trump.

I know Team Trump doesn't like to think more than what's right in front of their noses but I'm sure Mueller has played out all of these scenarios.

Pubs will be even more fucked if they go along with widespread presidential pardons or progressive firings directly calculated to squash this inquiry.

I think they know they’re going to have to separate eventually from Trump. They’re just waiting and trying to time it as best they can.

Pubs will be even more fucked if they go along with widespread presidential pardons or progressive firings directly calculated to squash this inquiry.

I think they know they’re going to have to separate eventually from Trump. They’re just waiting and trying to time it as best they can.

They are going to basically have to get skullfucked in a couple elections before they can. Otherwise they all get primaried anyway, and the Roy Moores of the world get skullfucked in an election. That being said, the House is pretty much unassailable from anywhere but the right.

Unless Republicans win big, they are painting themselves into a corner.

If Dems win big in the midterms and take over Congress, Republicans will have to ally with Trump to fight the Democrats. If they join with Democrats to impeach him, they risk losing support in their base.

If Dems hold or gain a Senate seat to get to 50/50 and have modest gains in the House, Trump is still the leader of the party and up for reelection so they have to be behind him or risk losing their base. There doesn't seem like there's much room for a primary challenger.

Trump is already the oldest elected president in US history. There wouldn't be any shame in stepping down from...nvm. We're talking about Donald ****'ing Trump. The shameless wonder.

One thing a pardon does is eliminate the ability to use the 5th Amendment in many cases. If you have already been pardoned, you can't truly incriminate yourself according to most legal experts. If Trump pardons Flynn and/or others it could be a major double whammy. First, it will be a hugely negative political move. He is already underwater in approval, this would leave him with only the hardest of the hard core. Secondly, if the people he pardons can't take the fifth and without going to jail for perjury or contempt, they will talk.

Back