• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

We haven't beaten SC since the Ford administration. So far, SI.com has us playing Mizzou in the Belk, Althon has us against SC, and both ESPNers has versus Kentucky. CFN,CBS,SB nation has us in El Paso vs Arizona. What a pleasant dilemma to have.

Mizzou would be funny since that QB Taylor Powell decommitted from us late and went to mizzou

Any chance to get the Gator? (I refuse to call it the Taxslayer)

Not sure, but if it did happen and WF wins it, I predict State fans will add it to the list of conspiracies that relentlessly attack its program and football relevance.

We don't pick the bowl, the bowl picks us. Remember last year we sent the Deacon to the Military bowl committee, saving us from a trip to Detroit or the Detroit of Louisiana. Belk would love us or state. I think that Virginia would be their consolation prize. Beating the 'cocks after more than 40 years would be so sweet. It wouldn't hurt our recruiting in that state either.

We don't pick the bowl, the bowl picks us. Remember last year we sent the Deacon to the Military bowl committee, saving us from a trip to Detroit or the Detroit of Louisiana. Belk would love us or state. I think that Virginia would be their consolation prize. Beating the 'cocks after more than 40 years would be so sweet. It wouldn't hurt our recruiting in that state either.

We already beat them for Kelijiha Brown. We got two others from SC. Plus Hartman. Be nice to have this to brag about too. Love to see our old friend Gene Sapakoff write about it.

Don’t think it’s been mentioned, but if we play the Gamecocks there would be a small but interesting dynamic. We would be going up against Cory Helms who transferred from us to South Carolina early in Clawson’s tenure. Helms was really the only decent Olineman Clawson inherited and jumped ship on us. I think we needed him to play Center and he wasn’t crazy about that. I’m not blaming him or anything, just that it would create a little interesting side story.
Helms left because he had been signed as a center, had started as center at Wake his whole freshman year snd part of his soph season. Then he was moved to guard and Alique Terry became starting center for a while. Supposedly the line was better with Helms at guard and Terry at center as opposed to Helms at center and any of the other players at guard. Helms wanted to play center. He thinks he can play center on Sundays next year.

Helms left because he had been signed as a center, had started as center at Wake his whole freshman year snd part of his soph season. Then he was moved to guard and Alique Terry became starting center for a while. Supposedly the line was better with Helms at guard and Terry at center as opposed to Helms at center and any of the other players at guard. Helms wanted to play center. He thinks he can play center on Sundays next year.

Yeah I had it backwards I guess. Thanks

So have we pretty much won our way out of contention for the Pinstripe Bowl? I was selfishly hoping for a Northeast location so I could attend.

Belk Bowl seems to make a lot of sense for us this year. We haven't played it in ten years, and it would be the third time in six years for either NC State or Louisville if selected this year. Won't have UNC and hopefully not Duke as options, and I think we'd be more attractive than the other potential ACC schools (particularly if the opponent is an 8-4 South Carolina team) as far as proximity for attendance

So have we pretty much won our way out of contention for the Pinstripe Bowl? I was selfishly hoping for a Northeast location so I could attend.

Would definitely be a contender for the Pinstripe, but due to location (and the reasons CDeac just stated) most assume we'll get Charlotte and someone else will go to NYC

Projections have us in the Belk Bowl, but vs Kentucky instead of SC.

Belk Bowl seems to make a lot of sense for us this year. We haven't played it in ten years, and it would be the third time in six years for either NC State or Louisville if selected this year. Won't have UNC and hopefully not Duke as options, and I think we'd be more attractive than the other potential ACC schools (particularly if the opponent is an 8-4 South Carolina team) as far as proximity for attendance

I don't think that Duke will be an option for them, even if they are eligible.

True to a point but recall that State basically told the Military Bowl to not pick it last year.

Would be disappointed to play Kentucky. South Carolina would be interesting as Wake vs. SC was the first college game I attended. SC was ranked (top 5), playing in Columbia, had a QB getting some national attention. Went with my pop warner football team. Cold freezing rain, miserable conditions and I was disappointed Wake won (something like 10-7)

We got less votes in the coaches and AP polls than NC State.

Because voters believe it was a rivalry game with many intangible factors weighing in Wake's favor. They still believe NC State has a better overall team and the stats bear that out.

LOL. It was a 2 vote difference. There's no way that much thought was paid to it

I think we'll be in Belk, win or lose. UNLESS both Mia and Clemson make playoff. If we win, to get to 8 wins, I think we might be "forced" into the Camping World bowl in Orlando. I think they have last pick in high tier bowls, and we'd definitely be the last team with 8 or more wins? FSU will have 6 wins, but at that point, I don't think they can take FSU over us, since we have 8 wins.

NC State beat writer sketched it out based on whether NC State beats UNC or loses, and if 2 ACC teams make Playoff, assuming we are 8-4

347tnck.jpg

Last edited:
Back