• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

I would imagine the bowls that pay more have better swag for players. Also, playing an SEC team in an NFL stadium probably doesn’t suck for the players.

I think all the bowls have the same swag budget. $500 maybe?

Here's how I rank the ACC bowls in terms of desirability and prestige-
Orange Bowl
Orlando

Music City (great location and SEC opponent)
Belk (great Wake crowd and SEC opponent)
Sun (good tradition and PAC 12)

Pinstripe (playing in Yankee Stadium is cool)
Independence (memories of 1992 and SEC)
Military (we've won it twice)

Tax Slayer (no comment but screw them)
Quick Lane (Detroit in December?)

I think all the bowls have the same swag budget. $500 maybe?

Belk had a $450 shopping spree at Belk last year. Arkansas' TE, who was probably their best player got arrested for shoplifting.

Of course, things may have changed in 25 years.

Maybe, but odds are that locals still show up rowdy and eager to bet on and talk trash about teams they know nothing about. That was almost as much fun as the comeback.

Here's how I rank the ACC bowls in terms of desirability and prestige-
Orange Bowl
Orlando

Music City (great location and SEC opponent)
Belk (great Wake crowd and SEC opponent)
Sun (good tradition and PAC 12)

Pinstripe (playing in Yankee Stadium is cool)
Independence (memories of 1992 and SEC)
Military (we've won it twice)

Tax Slayer (no comment but screw them)
Quick Lane (Detroit in December?)

Good list. I'm hoping for Taxslayer because it's the only one I could get to. Yankee Stadium will be freezing. So if we get it, dress warm.

The Music City would be awesome again, but I really wish it was the day before for my attendance potential (same for the Belk but that's a little more doable anyway)

Of course, things may have changed in 25 years.

Or not..have you ever been there? It's one of those deep South places that time seems to have forgotten about. It makes Reno look like Manhattan.

It's not subjective (or based on conference record), the criteria for the Orange Bowl is:

"ACC Champion, or highest ranked ACC team not selected for CFP semifinals"

So if we are the highest ranked team and Clemson and Miami both make it to the semis....yeah we'd go to the Orange Bowl.

I would be giddy with this. (not likely but, it's the season for miracles).

Biff, I'm not at all against Belk. That would be a fine matchup. Just don't put words in my mouth. I want what the players would seem to want, all things equal. And on attendance, Wake fans pride themselves on being more well-heeled than most, so paying for a flight somewhere shouldn't affect a good number of "us" who'd want to go. Secondly, most bowls rely primarily on locals to attend the games, and if the schools bring a lot so much the better. I'm sure any distant bowl would be pleased with, say, 5,000 tickets sold from Wake. So, a big meh on fans attending distant bowls. It is what it is.

What do you consider distant? NYC/Jax/Orlando are all 450+ miles away, and would expect way more than 5,000, and they'd get it easily.

Absolutely! This is about the players. Not an alum. Give the boys a nice vaction... as long as they take care of business.

I imagine the players would prefer playing in front of a larger number of Wake fans than a smaller number of Wake fans.

Virginia's probably not getting to 7 wins. We have a lot better shot at 7 wins.

He also said we wouldn't fall past Charlotte if we're 8-4

Good to see wins matter. Still hoping for the OB longshot.

Fuck you Belk bowl - we're going to the Orange Bowl. What do we need to happen? I would imagine that UVa needs to beat VT. And obviously we need to beat Duke. Could end up with Wake, State, VT, and UL at 8 wins. Obviously UNC over State and UK over UL would help. Maybe a big Wake win and a big VT loss would work. Oh yeah, I guess we also need Clemson to barely beat UM in a great game.

Last edited:
Back