• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

Jerry Palm from CBS has us in the Military Bowl against Navy - do not want.

Eh. I'd rather wait till we get a 6th win to start a thread.

I think Mc-whatever at ESPN projected us in the Belk Bowl vs Kentucky

I read somewhere we should be good enough to get a bowl even with five. I'll believe that when I see it but yeah......a possibility.

Agreed. Also, if we only get 5 wins I hope we don't go to a bowl. I know because of extra practices and recruiting, we'd have to take the invite, but 5-7 teams don't need to go to a bowl.

Agreed. Also, if we only get 5 wins I hope we don't go to a bowl. I know because of extra practices and recruiting, we'd have to take the invite, but 5-7 teams don't need to go to a bowl.

I feel the same way about 5-7 teams going to bowls, but I'd be pretty damn hyped if Dortch is healthy and can play.

Does anybody recall the deets from (I think) Grobe's tenure where we won 6 (?) games and didn't get a bowl bid, but with some loop-hole about playing an extra game if it's outside the continental U.S. there was semi-serious talk of us going and playing @ Hawaii.

I feel the same way about 5-7 teams going to bowls, but I'd be pretty damn hyped if Dortch is healthy and can play.

Yeah, I'd love to see that kid play again before next season.

Does anybody recall the deets from (I think) Grobe's tenure where we won 6 (?) games and didn't get a bowl bid, but with some loop-hole about playing an extra game if it's outside the continental U.S. there was semi-serious talk of us going and playing @ Hawaii.

I remember that. It was his first year and then we made the Seattle Bowl the next year with six wins. That was just before it became a near lock that teams with 6 wins would go to a bowl somewhere.

First, WF is going to win at least 6 games.

Second, in the unlikely event WF lost out to finish 5-7, I would be happy to go to any bowl over some other 5-7 team. I agree with the notion that teams with losing records shouldn't play in a bowl game, but there a sh!tload of bowl games; if a slot is open for a 5-7 bowl team, I always want 5-7 WF to go over 5-7 Maryland. The football team only plays 12 times a year, if we get a chance to play an extra game, I want to go to it, and I want to watch it. WF's schedule this year is brutal. WF is better than last year's team, but may not have as good a record. Stupid to punish this team because WF plays #3 Notre Dame and GT instead of Indiana and UVA.

Third, went to Nashvegas for the Music City Bowl against Miss. State and had a blast. Would love to make that trip again. Fun to play SEC teams.

First, WF is going to win at least 6 games.

Second, in the unlikely event WF lost out to finish 5-7, I would be happy to go to any bowl over some other 5-7 team. I agree with the notion that teams with losing records shouldn't play in a bowl game, but there a sh!tload of bowl games; if a slot is open for a 5-7 bowl team, I always want 5-7 WF to go over 5-7 Maryland. The football team only plays 12 times a year, if we get a chance to play an extra game, I want to go to it, and I want to watch it. WF's schedule this year is brutal. WF is better than last year's team, but may not have as good a record. Stupid to punish this team because WF plays #3 Notre Dame and GT instead of Indiana and UVA.

Third, went to Nashvegas for the Music City Bowl against Miss. State and had a blast. Would love to make that trip again. Fun to play SEC teams.

Agreed. You can disagree that 5-7 deserve to go to bowl games, but as long as they are, Wake might as well be one of them. There is no reason to handicap ourselves because of some misplaced sense of moral superiority.

will 5-6 teams who lost a game to a hurricane have an advantage over 5-7 teams? they arguably should

will 5-6 teams who lost a game to a hurricane have an advantage over 5-7 teams? they arguably should

Yeah. From what people have posted here, 5-6 teams will be treated like 6-6 teams.

Yes, had six wins to make us eligible but we were not selected. As the other poster suggested, 6 wins in 2001 didn't guarantee bowl selection. I don't remember anything at all about a loop hole or discussions about playing Hawaii, but I'm not saying it didn't exist or the discussions didn't happen.

I remember that. It was his first year and then we made the Seattle Bowl the next year with six wins. That was just before it became a near lock that teams with 6 wins would go to a bowl somewhere.

Seattle Bowl was awesome. Blew the doors of a heavily favored Oregon team that I think was ranked for most of the season but unraveled late in the year. One of the most enjoyable WF football games I've seen.

Things that would help our prospects to get one of the better bowls (besides winning more games):

*ACC team makes the CFP (pretty obvious)
*Notre Dame makes a New Year's Six Bowl/the CFP (seems highly likely at this point. But if they don't they fall into the ACC's bowl process and bump Wake further down the line. Also would be better if someone besides the Orange Bowl picks ND)
*Georgia and Alabama both make the CFP (opens the door for the Orange Bowl to pick a Big Ten team, which creates a spot in the Cap One Bowl for an ACC team)

Or in other words, it'd be fantastic if the rankings stayed exactly as they are now

Last edited:
Back