• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

I remember not being too bothered by them at the Music City Bowl - when a whole side of a stadium is rattling them it's not a big deal. What would bug me would be the random single person doing it - that was much more annoying

ed83f7ec6b88718e524f6ca240e9e505--haha-funny-funny-humor.jpg

FSU travels pretty well to Charlotte for the ACCCG. They're not coming for the Belk Bowl.

Feel very confident that WF would sell substantially more tickets to the Belk bowl than FSU. The Noles entered the season expecting to be in the college football playoff. Now, they need to win the last two, including the late schedule add of UL-Monroe to get to 6 wins. Nole fans are not traveling to Charlotte (maybe not even to a Florida venue) to see the 6-6 Noles.

^ true. An interesting year in ACC football when Wake is a more attractive bowl draw than FSU.

Haha yeah I agree with Nonny - at the game it didn't bother me - but everywhere else when one dude would start yes it was stupid and annoying.

That was good info from Joe Giglio that Belk would take a 7-5 Wake over a 6-6 UVA. I guess the question is whether they would take an 8-4/7-5 Wake over a 6-6 FSU or a 6-5 GT (if they pull a BIG upset over UGA). There's obviously a strong argument that they would. Plus, the Belk Bowl wouldn't necessarily have priority claim on FSU or GT anyways.

Do we have any sort of confirmation/information online showing where a 6-6 team can now jump an 8 win team (or 7 win over 9, etc)? As recent as 2015, they could not, but I can't find anything more recent than that.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article48473810.html

I still think it could be 50/50 between us and UVA if UVA beats Va Tech, And if that happens and we lose to Duke, I'm not sure the Belk is favorite anymore. I think Duke could go to Military in that scenario, knocking us to Shreveport or El Paso, because we just played in military. UVA would take Belk. And NC State also comes into the picture with a loss to UNC. I think a win against Duke all but secures a trip to Belk, would look bad, IMO, to have an 8-4 team play in tier 2 bowl with a 6-6 team (6-6 FSU, or 6-6 UVA) in a tier 1.

Last edited:
The SEC prohibits the ringing of cowbells from the time the center is over the ball until the play is blown dead. MSST fans didn‘t extend us the same courtesy in Nashville. I thought it was rude as hell. I posted my feelings on their Scout board and got banned.

I'd be curious to know how bowls weigh attendance versus TV ratings.

No hard and fast rule, but they care more about attendance--at least the ones I've been affiliated with.

Edited to not be cryptic. I've been a Wake bowl rep in the past and currently the Wake rep for the Military Bowl. This is public knowledge so I dont feel like I'm talking out of school.

Last edited:
No hard and fast rule, but they care more about attendance--at least the ones I've been affiliated with.

Edited to not be cryptic. I've been a Wake bowl rep in the past and currently the Wake rep for the Military Bowl. This is public knowledge so I dont feel like I'm talking out of school.

Does wake have a "bowl rep" for each bowl? Only ACC bowls, or any bowl wake could possibly get invited to? Are you the liaison/advocate between wake and that particular bowl?

If I am reading this correctly, head to head results don't matter... NC State and Louisville could both be picked ahead of us in bowls? If we beat Duke, we would be no worse than #4 in the ACC (#3 if VA Tech loses), and we could still end up in less than a Tier 1 bowl?

If I am reading this correctly, head to head results don't matter... NC State and Louisville could both be picked ahead of us in bowls? If we beat Duke, we would be no worse than #4 in the ACC (#3 if VA Tech loses), and we could still end up in less than a Tier 1 bowl?

I think it's possible, no one has quoted a rule against it. Obviously, profitability drives the bus. Not sure Louisville, as stated, would be more attractive for Belk, considering they aren't known to travel like Clemson, State, or FSU fans (when they are good), and they have the KY/LOU bball game that day. NC State could certainly be picked ahead of us in a bowl, and might even be an option for Belk if they lose to UNC (Obviously MORE attractive if they win, but would probably get Gator or Orlando methinks). NC State did just play in Belk in 2015, They played South Carolina this year (and I think SC is a favorite to play in Belk from SEC). So that may give us edge as well.

a 7-5 UVA team would be my biggest worry, especially if we are 7-5 with a duke loss. But VA tech and Wake should take care of business

And I think, unless it severely hurts profitability, the ACC and the bowl want to avoid favoring 6-6 teams over 8-4. A Big win vs Duke, and a few others losing, could have us ranked in Top 25 as well, which gives the bowl some notoriety, having ranked teams.

Question and maybe this has been addressed already, but if UVA beats VPI and we beat duke, and Miami and Clemson get into the playoffs do we go to the orange bowl?

The article tigerswood linked to is pretty definitive about 6-6 teams not being able to jump 8-4 ones. In describing how 2015 played out i/r/t Tier I bowls:

"There were six teams in the pool this year: Miami (8-4), Pittsburgh (8-4), N.C. State (7-5), Duke (7-5), Louisville (7-5) and Virginia Tech (6-6).

According to the ACC’s guidelines for Tier I, the 6-win team can only be selected if both the 8-win teams have already been selected. But the bowls were free to choose any of the 7-win teams over the 8-win teams."

Question and maybe this has been addressed already, but if UVA beats VPI and we beat duke, and Miami and Clemson get into the playoffs do we go to the orange bowl?

I'd think NC State might go in that case with a win over Carolina and being 8-4. Or 8-4 Louisville, featuring a Heisman winner, or they stick with 8-4 Va Tech. IF UNC, Lou, Va Tech, NC State all lose, and Miami and Clemson make playoff, I could see us in Orange Bowl.

The article tigerswood linked to is pretty definitive about 6-6 teams not being able to jump 8-4 ones. In describing how 2015 played out i/r/t Tier I bowls:

"There were six teams in the pool this year: Miami (8-4), Pittsburgh (8-4), N.C. State (7-5), Duke (7-5), Louisville (7-5) and Virginia Tech (6-6).

According to the ACC’s guidelines for Tier I, the 6-win team can only be selected if both the 8-win teams have already been selected. But the bowls were free to choose any of the 7-win teams over the 8-win teams."

Beat Duke to get to 8 wins. Hope Va Tech takes care of business against UVA to make them 6-6. And I think we are locked for Belk.

Back