• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Politico Article: They Still Love Trump

Highland Deac

Reaction score
A Politico reporter went to Johnstown, PA a year ago after Trump's win and interviewed the townsfolk there about why they voted for Trump. A year later, he went back and spoke to the same folks. A year ago they said they would give him "six months to a year" to make good on all his promises to reopen the mines and mills, etc. What he found was that, a year later, most of these folks admit that Trump hasn't kept most of his promises, but they never really expected him to, and they still love him anyway. It's a good, sobering read, with some interesting quotes and observations. There's the business owner, Bill Polacek, who says "If I could find 150 people [in Johnstown] I'd put them to work...But it's hard to find people - people with the requisite skills, people who can pass a drug test."

And another: "Some of the later-in-life blue-collar workers who are still here can be loath to learn new trades. “We’ve heard when working with some of the miners that they are reluctant because they’re very accustomed to the mining industry,” said Linda Thomson, the president of JARI, a nonprofit economic development agency in Johnstown that provides precisely the kind of retraining, supported by a combination of private, state and federal funding, that could prepare somebody for a job in Polacek’s plant. “They really do want to go back into the mines. So we’ve seen resistance to some retraining.”

This one is really interesting - this lady admits that Trump has not followed through on his promises, but ends with "I like him - because he does what he says."

"Something I heard last week that I didn’t hear last year: resignation. Drapes drawn, Maggie Frear, the retired nurse, sat in her darkened living room and told me there really wasn’t all that much Trump could do to help Johnstown and Cambria County.

“You know, we’re sort of a depressed area,” she said. “We’re just a little area, you know—but it’s a good area. Good people here. And I think he would, if he knew of a place that had a lot of problems, I think he would try to help. I don’t know what he could do, or would want to do, for Johnstown, you know?”

He said he was going to bring back the steel mills.

“You’re never going to get those steel mills back,” she said.

“But he said he was going to,” I said.

“Yeah, but how’s he going to bring them back?”

“I don’t know,” I said, “but it’s what he said, last year, and people voted for him because of it.”

“They always say they want to bring the steel mills back,” Frear said, “but they’re going to have to do a lot of work to bring the steel mills back.”

He hasn’t built the wall yet, either. “I don’t care about his wall,” said Frear, 76. “I mean, if he gets his wall—I don’t give a shit, you know? But he has a good idea: Keep ’em out.”

He also hasn’t repealed Obamacare. “That’s Congress,” she said.

And the drug scourge here continues unabated. “And it’s not going to improve for a long time,” she said, “until people learn, which they won’t.”

“But I like him,” Frear reiterated. “Because he does what he says.”

Here's the link to the entire article: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/donald-trump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

what?????? “Because he does what he says.”...she just said a number of things that he didn't do that he said he would do.

education is important people.

A year ago they said they would give him "six months to a year" to make good on all his promises to reopen the mines and mills, etc. What he found was that, a year later, most of these folks admit that Trump hasn't kept most of his promises, but they never really expected him to

But you did expect him to, cause you gave him 6mo to a year....

And another: "Some of the later-in-life blue-collar workers who are still here can be loath to learn new trades. “We’ve heard when working with some of the miners that they are reluctant because they’re very accustomed to the mining industry.......They really do want to go back into the mines. So we’ve seen resistance to some retraining.

Snowflake shit, that. Blacks expected to pull the bootstraps and move to where the work is, get retrained, etc. Apparently these voters don't feel that applies to them.

this lady admits that Trump has not followed through on his promises, but ends with "I like him - because he does what he says

How do you not follow through on promises and do what you say all at the same time?

He said he was going to bring back the steel mills.

“You’re never going to get those steel mills back,” she said.

“But he said he was going to,” I said.

“Yeah, but how’s he going to bring them back?”

“I don’t know,” I said, “but it’s what he said, last year, and people voted for him because of it.”

“They always say they want to bring the steel mills back,” Frear said, “but they’re going to have to do a lot of work to bring the steel mills back.”

Snowflaking again. Yes, life is hard work. It is what is expected of the blacks in poor areas, no? Why is hard work too much for Trump and you, lady?

He hasn’t built the wall yet, either. “I don’t care about his wall,” said Frear, 76. “I mean, if he gets his wall—I don’t give a shit, you know? But he has a good idea: Keep ’em out.”

Jesus Fucking Christ

“But I like him,” Frear reiterated. “Because he does what he says.”

Facepalm

If you think that's interesting, read the end of the article and see what at least some of the good folks there think "NFL" really stands for. I had no idea. It's an insightful article, for sure.

None of those people will matter if there is turnout. That was the main problem.

If you think that's interesting, read the end of the article and see what at least some of the good folks there think "NFL" really stands for. I had no idea. It's an insightful article, for sure.

I read it and looked at all the pictures. Bunch of racist, frightened, lazy white trash.

Last edited:
I didn't get the feeling those people would enthusiastically show up to vote for Trump. I do think they would oppose a Republican primary opponent or down ballot who didn't stand with Trump.

Yeah I posted about this in another thread, but it probably deserves it's own. Some of these quotes

Holy shit this article

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...rump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

“I don’t know that he has done a lot to help,” Frear told me. Last year, she said she wouldn’t vote for him again if he didn’t do what he said he was going to do. Last week, she matter-of-factly stated that she would. “Support Trump? Sure,” she said. “I like him.” When I asked Del Signore about the past year here, he said he “didn’t see any change because we got a new president.” He nonetheless remains an ardent proponent. “He’s our answer.”

I asked Schilling what would happen if the next three years go the way the past one has.

“I’m not going to blame him,” Schilling said. “Absolutely not.”

Is there anything that could change her mind about Trump?

“Nope,” she said

“Everybody I talk to,” he said, “realizes it’s not Trump who’s dragging his feet. Trump’s probably the most diligent, hardest-working president we’ve ever had in our lifetimes. It’s not like he sleeps in till noon and goes golfing every weekend, like the last president did.”

More than anything, what seemed to upset the people I spoke with was the National Football League players who have knelt during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality.

“As far as I’m concerned,” Frear told me, “if I was the boss of these teams, I would tell ’em, ‘You get your asses out there and you play, or you’re not here anymore.’ They’re paying their salaries, for God’s sake.”

“Shame on them,” Del Signore said over his alfredo. “These clowns are out there, making millions of dollars a year, and they’re using some stupid excuse that they want equality—so I’ll kneel against the flag and the national anthem?”

“You’re not a fan of equality?” I asked.

“For people who deserve it and earn it,” he said. “All my ancestors, Italian, 100 percent Italian, the Irish, Germans, Polish, whatever—they all came over here, settled in places like this, they worked hard and they earned the respect. They earned the success that they got. Some people don’t want to do that. They just want it handed to them.”

“Like NFL players?” I said.

“Well,” Del Signore responded, “I hate to say what the majority of them are …” He stopped himself short of what I thought he was about to say.

Schilling and her husband, however, did not restrain themselves.

“The thing that irritates me to no end is this NFL shit,” Schilling told me in her living room. “I’m about ready to go over the top with this shit. We do not watch no NFL now.” They’re Dallas Cowboys fans. “We banned ’em. We don’t watch it.”

Schilling looked at her husband, Dave McCabe, who’s 67 and a retired high school basketball coach. She nodded at me. “Tell him,” she said to McCabe, “what you said the NFL is …”

McCabe looked momentarily wary. He laughed a little. “I don’t remember saying that,” he said unconvincingly.

Schilling was having none of it. “You’re the one that told me, liar,” she said.

She looked at me.

The NFL?

“Niggers for life,” Schilling said.

“For life,” McCabe added.

At this point, if you're a Trump voter in a small rural town and HAVEN'T been profiled about why you still love President Dipshit, you really should be upset.

Why is the media still writing these pieces? I don't think I've read one with anything new or original in it since a week after the election.

I am glad they keep writing them. It shows why it's important as Democrats to GOTV and do everything possible to prevent this from ever happening again.

There is literally nothing based in reality that could cause any of these folks to not support Trump, and I think it's important to continue to write about that.

Not to mention to continue to showcase the racism that runs rampant through America.

These folks don't like to be condescended to from intellectual elites. So they throw their lot in with King Rube, who proceeds to condescend in a worse way by pretending to care and lying to their faces?

Usually this would go into the Facebook thread, but this actual post (not a meme) I saw this morning illustrates the topic of this thread too.

DFp6Wbr.png

The answer to the question is in the article. The President's supporters like him because he talks shit. They perceive that as fighting for them. It doesn't make a difference whether he does anything. If he keeps talking shit, he has their support.

They don' believe anyone can actually make their (based on the description in the article) really shitty lives better, so they assume anybody who says they will are lying. So in lieu of believing in a candidate on the basis of the candidate's ability to bring positive change to their communities, they will vote for someone who appears to piss off those who have wronged them for years. Lies don't matter, morals don't matter, corruption doesn't matter. All that matters is talking shit and pissing off people in Washington, liberals, and Hollywood elites.

Back