• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump judge nominee, who's never tried a case, is step closer to lifetime appointment

I remember the uproar when the NYT published a story about 14/185 Obama judicial appointees getting a "Not Qualified" rating from the ABA...

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

No, 14 of 185 potential candidates under Obama received a "Not Qualified" from the ABA and Obama nominated none of them.

No, 14 of 185 potential candidates under Obama received a "Not Qualified" from the ABA and Obama nominated none of them.

Fair enough. I stand corrected...was coming here to edit, but am willing to admit that I was misleading. The point still stands.

Fair enough. I stand corrected...was coming here to edit, but am willing to admit that I was misleading. The point still stands.

No worries it happens.

This is, however, why it's a good idea to submit your names to the panel before you nominate them.

What point?

What point?

Political Parties/Presidents try to put people who line up with their ideology in the judiciary irrespective of their qualifications. That is what I meant by The Who quote.

Political Parties/Presidents try to put people who line up with their ideology in the judiciary irrespective of their qualifications. That is what I meant by The Who quote.

People who have never presided over a trial before?

But Obama didn't try to put them up once the ABA declared them unqualified. So what is your point?

But Obama didn't try to put them up once the ABA declared them unqualified. So what is your point?

For fucks sake. The point is he wanted to as do all pols. Good for him for not presenting them after they got shot down, but he still had them up for appointments (until they were declared unqualified). If you guys can not see that both parties only care about power I don't know what to tell you...

The point is apparently a very poor attempt at false equivalence.

For fucks sake. The point is he wanted to as do all pols. Good for him for not presenting them after they got shot down, but he still had them up for appointments (until they were declared unqualified). If you guys can not see that both parties only care about power I don't know what to tell you...

There's a big different between putting people up for appointments and then not pushing them once declared disqualified and putting people up for appointments, pushing them after declared disqualified and accusing the ABA of liberal bias.

Hulka, you were a reasonable Pub a year ago. It's sad to see you've fallen in line.

Looks like this guy went to Harvard, clerked a couple years for a federal court judge, and did some speechwriting. He’s practiced law for a total of three years and forget a trial, hasn’t even argued a motion in court.

Not great Bob!

Elena Kagan also clerked for Thurgood Marshall, was Dean of Harvard Law School, published in legal journals, as Solicitor General she went before the Supreme Court and much more. Good comparison.

Back