• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump judge nominee, who's never tried a case, is step closer to lifetime appointment

Looks like this guy went to Harvard, clerked a couple years for a federal court judge, and did some speechwriting. He’s practiced law for a total of three years and forget a trial, hasn’t even argued a motion in court.

Not great Bob!

To be fair, the type of law he was practicing doesn't get in Court much.

I don't think this is as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. The dude looks qualified on paper.

He was the editor of a journal at Harvard. He's no slouch.

Last edited:

I don't think this is as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. The dude looks qualified on paper.

He was the editor of a journal at Harvard
. He's no slouch.

who was that other harvard law journal prez that everyone said was wildly unqualified?

Resting on law school accomplishments. Only unqualified people have to do that.

You know what position does get into Court much? Federal judge.

"The committee — composed of 15 members from across the country and chaired by Washington lawyer Pam Bresnahan — unanimously found Grasz unfit for the federal bench.

Being editor of a journal at Harvard is a nice thing to put on your resume when you’re applying to be an associate at some silk stocking law firm.

It means absolutely nothing when the job is Federal District Court Judge. Typically, these positions are filled by seasoned US Attorneys, Federal magistrates or State Court trial judges. The point is these are trial lawyers who have actually been inside a courtroom and can handle the important decisions that need to made on a daily basis in a competent and effective manner.

This is akin to some guy getting an A in some anatomy class in med school and then asking him to perform open heart surgery.

This isn’t a close call and his appointment would be completely unjustified. And, it’s not like there’s a shortage of conservative qualified candidates to choose from, so I think it’s abundantly obvious that this appointment is solely due to the very conflict that he purposely left out of his application.

You'd hope those qualified conservatives would be more pissed about this.

"The committee — composed of 15 members from across the country and chaired by Washington lawyer Pam Bresnahan — unanimously found Grasz unfit for the federal bench.

This quote is about another Trump judge pick who was also found to be unqualified unanimously by the ABA.

Point still stands, just wanted to point out how crazy that is.

Oh, I’m sure they’re really pissed. But, they also hope to be appointed one day and need to make sure they don’t make waves.

More entertaining to pwn the libs by appointing grossly unqualified people to federal judgeships and other important government positions. Take that snowflakes !

anigif_enhanced-buzz-13074-1358717058-1.gif

Well, both of these candidates have watched Judge Judy. In Trump world, that makes them qualified.

board Right sees no problems of course

Not everybody uses the board as a daily catharsis for venting their outrage.

This guy writes horror novels. What's the problem with that? Oh wait, a judgeship. Yeah, his resume looks a little thin, but hey, at least he went to Harvard as opposed to SMU. That checks off most boxes went Congress is looking at these nominations. Oooh, Harvard. He must be smart.

Not everybody uses the board as a daily catharsis for venting their outrage.

This guy writes horror novels. What's the problem with that? Oh wait, a judgeship. Yeah, his resume looks a little thin, but hey, at least he went to Harvard as opposed to SMU. That checks off most boxes went Congress is looking at these nominations. Oooh, Harvard. He must be smart.

That's just not true for lifetime appointments to the federal judiciary. See Les Grossman's post above.

Back