• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump judge nominee, who's never tried a case, is step closer to lifetime appointment

I don't really understand, this hasn't stopped Trump before, why give greater than zero fucks now?

I don't really understand, this hasn't stopped Trump before, why give greater than zero fucks now?

Oh, he doesn't. He's planning to replace them with Russian judges (they don't have to go to the Olympics, after all).

He doesn't, there were Republican Senators that weren't willing to vote for these judges, which means they wouldn't have been confirmed.

This is Betsy DeVos level painful.

This is Betsy DeVos level painful.

I felt bad for that dude. He should have just said "I am completely and utterly unqualified for this position, but I will try really, really hard to be a great judge. Confirm me."

I felt bad for that dude. He should have just said "I am completely and utterly unqualified for this position, but I will try really, really hard to be a great judge. Confirm me."

Ha he more or less says that towards the end of the video.

But yeah that moment when you know you're completely unqualified for a role... and you know your interviewer knows you're completely unqualified for a role. Not a fun spot to be in.

Last edited:
Ha he more or less says that towards the end of the video.

But yeah that moment when you know you're completely unqualified for a role... and you know your interviewer knows you're completely unqualified for a role. Not a fun spot to be in.

The thing is, if the guy is at all clever, which he probably is, he knew already he was unqualified. If that were me, I would have read every goddamn statute a million times over before the hearing, so when the senator asked me when the last time I read any of those things I could immediately say "yesterday". When you're nominated for something you're not qualified for, you have to actually try harder so you won't look like a fool. Oops.

Good thing that Talley is out. I ran into his wife the day after he failed to disclose her and it was, at least for me, hilariously awkward. I'm sure she didn't notice.

Willett is in. He's a good and smart dude, but weirds me out. He's also uber religious and conservative, and I'm not at all into that. I once had a great conversation with his wife where she excitedly brought out all of her bowdlerized shakespeare volumes to explain how her homeschooled children learn "the classics". I was like what is actually in the Titus Andronicus? She was like "ooh, we haven't gotten to that one yet.". Also, he's a fucking dukie. so fuck him.

That he wasn’t able to provide at least a brief summary of what a motion in limine is....oh boy. Maybe he thought that was worse than saying he couldn’t? I don’t know

"Any of you ever blogged in support of the KKK?" is a question that needs to be asked in confirmation hearings in 2017.

I don't understand the appeal of being nominated to a job for which you are wholly unqualified and simply won't be able to do. Like, what is that guy's plan for being a judge? Just sit there, listen to arguments, then tell your clerk to decide everything because you have no idea what just happened or what's going on? If someone nominated me tomorrow to be a surgeon, I think I'd be like, "uh...you know I can't do that job, right?" Jesus, man. Have some personal ethics.

I can understand not having recently read the Federal Rules of Evidence or Civil Procedure cover to cover if you don't litigate on a daily basis, particularly if someone is just stopping by to ask you randomly if you've recently done so. However, I can't imagine saying "no" to that answer if you were nominated to be a federal court judge, are clearly aware that you don't have litigation experience, and still decide that you didn't need to (at the least) brush up on your knowledge of procedure and evidence.

I don't understand the appeal of being nominated to a job for which you are wholly unqualified and simply won't be able to do. Like, what is that guy's plan for being a judge? Just sit there, listen to arguments, then tell your clerk to decide everything because you have no idea what just happened or what's going on? If someone nominated me tomorrow to be a surgeon, I think I'd be like, "uh...you know I can't do that job, right?" Jesus, man. Have some personal ethics.

I can understand not having recently read the Federal Rules of Evidence or Civil Procedure cover to cover if you don't litigate on a daily basis, particularly if someone is just stopping by to ask you randomly if you've recently done so. However, I can't imagine saying "no" to that answer if you were nominated to be a federal court judge, are clearly aware that you don't have litigation experience, and still decide that you didn't need to (at the least) brush up on your knowledge of procedure and evidence.

I know of a federal judge who came onto the job and for the first three months or so, just had clerks research how to be a judge. It is a learnable skill and no one (or very few) starts being a federal judge and is instantly amazing at it. The job is way too broad for anyone to come into it with a full understanding - even if they have been sitting on a state court judgeship for years.

You guys sound like 1st graders talking about what it's going to be like in High School.

I know of a federal judge who came onto the job and for the first three months or so, just had clerks research how to be a judge. It is a learnable skill and no one (or very few) starts being a federal judge and is instantly amazing at it. The job is way too broad for anyone to come into it with a full understanding - even if they have been sitting on a state court judgeship for years.

You guys sound like 1st graders talking about what it's going to be like in High School.

i guess that explains your shtick, you just googled "how to be a dipshit on a message board" #learnableskill

I don't have intimate legal knowledge like some on here but I completely disagree with your argument.

Yes there is no way to know the minutiae of the job on day 1 and a lot of things need to be learned on the job. But if you're going to be deciding the fate of people or cases in a court of law (as a federal judge) you at least need to have a good understanding of the foundation of law. From a distance, it appears this guy doesn't even have that.

Last edited:
This should be required reading for everyone in our country right now.

The Death of Expertise - Tom Nichols

People are now exposed to more information than ever before, provided both by technology and by increasing access to every level of education. These societal gains, however, have also helped fuel a surge in narcissistic and misguided intellectual egalitarianism that has crippled informed debates on any number of issues. Today, everyone knows everything: with only a quick trip through WebMD or Wikipedia, average citizens believe themselves to be on an equal intellectual footing with doctors and diplomats. All voices, even the most ridiculous, demand to be taken with equal seriousness, and any claim to the contrary is dismissed as undemocratic elitism.

As Tom Nichols shows in The Death of Expertise, this rejection of experts has occurred for many reasons, including the openness of the internet, the emergence of a customer satisfaction model in higher education, and the transformation of the news industry into a 24-hour entertainment machine. Paradoxically, the increasingly democratic dissemination of information, rather than producing an educated public, has instead created an army of ill-informed and angry citizens who denounce intellectual achievement.

Nichols has deeper concerns than the current rejection of expertise and learning, noting that when ordinary citizens believe that no one knows more than anyone else, democratic institutions themselves are in danger of falling either to populism or to technocracy-or in the worst case, a combination of both. The Death of Expertise is not only an exploration of a dangerous phenomenon but also a warning about the stability and survival of modern democracy in the Information Age.

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Expertise-Campaign-Established-Knowledge/dp/0190469412

It's certainly a learnable skill but the guy didn't feel comfortable answering what a motion in limine was and has never argued a motion in court. I don't think anyone claimed that people come onto the federal bench and are instantly amazing, just that nominees should know their way around a courtroom. That some random 8L on the Wake message boards has more experience actually litigating after a few months of practice than a nominee for a lifetime position on the federal bench definitely isn't a positive for Donald's nominee is it?

Who said anything about a full understanding? This guy literally has NO understanding.

If Knight thinks that Numbers sounds like a 1st grader, he must think the nominee is still in diapers.

Back