• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump judge nominee, who's never tried a case, is step closer to lifetime appointment

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
Trump judge nominee, 36, who has never tried a case, wins approval of Senate panel

Brett J. Talley, President Trump’s nominee to be a federal judge in Alabama, has never tried a case, was unanimously rated “not qualified” by the American Bar Assn.’s judicial rating committee, has practiced law for only three years and, as a blogger last year, displayed a degree of partisanship unusual for a judicial nominee, denouncing “Hillary Rotten Clinton” and pledging support for the National Rifle Assn.

On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee, on a party-line vote, approved him for a lifetime appointment to the federal bench.

Talley, 36, is part of what Trump has called the “untold story” of his success in filling the courts with young conservatives.

“The judge story is an untold story. Nobody wants to talk about it,” Trump said last month, standing alongside Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) in the White House Rose Garden. “But when you think of it, Mitch and I were saying, that has consequences 40 years out, depending on the age of the judge — but 40 years out.”

Civil rights groups and liberal advocates see the matter differently. They denounced Thursday’s vote, calling it “laughable” that none of the committee Republicans objected to confirming a lawyer with as little experience as Talley to preside over federal trials.

“He’s practiced law for less than three years and never argued a motion, let alone brought a case. This is the least amount of experience I’ve seen in a judicial nominee,” said Kristine Lucius, executive vice president of the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-judge-20171110-story.html

Republicans are assholes. All of them, even the ones who claim not to support this stuff. They're just enablers, they let this happen. Sorry Republicans on this board -- but you're all assholes too. Deal with it. And so are some members of my family. Assholes.

Have to get him ready to replace RBG or Kennedy.

"laughable". This shit isn't going to stop. One party is fighting tooth and nail to poison the well, and the other one thinks we should fucking compromise on the amount of poison.

what is happening in America is outrageous and despicable. i am in disbelief that people agree with what is being done by this crooked administration.

Of all things the Trump administration and Republicans have done...aside from treasonous ties with Russia...this type of activity is the most egregious.

Game over when you fuck with the courts. Autocracy 101.

Time to call your Senator's office to voice your displeasure. This is the type of stuff that legislators think they can easily sweep under the rug. Calling them goes a long way and shows them voters are paying attention...even in the non-stop shitshow media environment of Trump.

On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee, on a party-line vote, approved him for a lifetime appointment to the federal bench.

Rs on the Judiciary Committee:

Chuck Grassley (R - IA)
Orrin G. Hatch (R - UT)
Lindsey Graham (R - SC)
John Cornyn (R - TX)
Michael S. Lee (R - UT)
Ted Cruz (R - TX)
Ben Sasse (R - NE)
Jeff Flake (R - AZ)
Mike Crapo (R - ID)
Thom Tillis (R - NC)
John Kennedy (R - LA)

Reminder that Jeff Flake and Ben Sasse will call out Trump and give good speeches, but they stop short at blocking embarrassingly unqualified judicial nominees.

In Talley’s case, the mentor was Republican Sen. Luther Strange, the former Alabama state attorney general who was appointed to the Senate in January to replace Jeff Sessions, who left the Senate to become U.S. attorney general. Talley worked for Strange as a deputy.

Typically, senators play the lead role in recommending nominees for the federal district judgeships in their state. Talley also had something of an inside track. This year, when Sessions moved to the attorney general’s post, Talley took a job in the Justice Department’s office that selects judicial nominees.

swampy

I appreciate their criticism of Trump but I agree this type of behavior is infuriating.

And this guy still needs to be approved by the full Senate right?

Yes, but they are approving nominations as quickly and quietly as they can. Call your Senators.

board Right sees no problems of course

I seem to remember threads in which they complain about seemingly unqualified people getting jobs over more qualified people.

I haven't posted in a while. Safe to say I am just politically depressed. Agree with everything that has been said above. Trump is everything I thought he would be and no one feels as though they can get in his way apparently.

I seem to remember threads in which they complain about seemingly unqualified people getting jobs over more qualified people.

Yeah, but those people probably share your hue. I'm certain this nominee has impressive bootstraps.

I haven't posted in a while. Safe to say I am just politically depressed. Agree with everything that has been said above. Trump is everything I thought he would be and no one feels as though they can get in his way apparently.

Agree with the bolded and it is mystifying why anyone of import in Washington gives two shits about this moron.

Oh wait, i forgot tax cuts

Nothing matters to pubs on the Hill but ideology. We should call it Confirmative Action. If they approved DeVos, literally anyone is qualified for anything so long as they will carry the conservative water.

Back