• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

So far, Duke has been a perfect example of John Wooden's of having a bunch or great players versus players that make a team great. The amount of talent on Duke is indisputable. I doubt there has been an ACC team since UNC Jordan that had this much talent in a starting five.

But they haven't shown that they know how to play together. They have had way too many close games against far inferior talent.

So far, Duke has been a perfect example of John Wooden's of having a bunch or great players versus players that make a team great. The amount of talent on Duke is indisputable. I doubt there has been an ACC team since UNC Jordan that had this much talent in a starting five.

But they haven't shown that they know how to play together. They have had way too many close games against far inferior talent.

I guess. They also beat a really good Florida team, and what should be an elite Michigan State team on neutral floors. And were without their best player most of the game against MSU. So no they aren't perfect, but they've been really really good.

How long til KenPom rankings are based completely on this season and everything else is washed out? Or does that ever happen?

The date is different every year, but by the end of December it’s largely based on this season. Usually it is mid-January when it is 100%.

It’s been on the blog on his site before, but I’d have to search.

KenPom also has a post from a few years back that makes the argument that keeping some of the preseason expectations in the model for the entire season would actually improve the predictions for individual games near the end of the season.

https://kenpom.com/blog/preseason-ratings-why-weight/

So, by about Christmas, you can look at the rankings and say it is a pretty accurate/quality picture of how good these teams are relative to one another.

┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) josh pastner
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|

Maryland and Illinois in OT on the big 10 network.

Well, I think that tonite's upsets (UF, GT, and Vandy) all going down to little guys along with ND and many other big boys losing early in this season should remind us all that what happened to us in our first 5 games was not so surprising considering how our squad was remade since last season. Deacs have played better lately, and regardless of current results that's a good thing. Imagine how you'd feel if you were ND, UF or GT right now, with the preseason hype, and after 6-8 games you are NOW off the rails. GO Deacs !

Well, I think that tonite's upsets (UF, GT, and Vandy) all going down to little guys along with ND and many other big boys losing early in this season should remind us all that what happened to us in our first 5 games was not so surprising considering how our squad was remade since last season. Deacs have played better lately, and regardless of current results that's a good thing. Imagine how you'd feel if you were ND, UF or GT right now, with the preseason hype, and after 6-8 games you are NOW off the rails. GO Deacs !

GT wasn't much of an upset (and neither was MTSU really), they were only a 3-point fave.

Josh Pastner Josh Pastner Josh Pastner Josh Pastner

UF lost to a team that has a similar KP rank as WF. Definitely an upset and a game that will be looked at as a bad loss come March, but not a disaster on the level of Drake or Liberty.

GT playing @ Wofford is very similar to WF playing @ Coastal Carolina. Our guys better be ready for that one.

GT also is a 2 man team who is currently missing one of those 2 guys. It's going to be painful until Okogie is back.

Funny how many Pitt fans weren't satisfied near the the end of the Dixon era. TCU is #19 on KenPom right now.

Back