• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

Reminds me of when they fired Gaudio. Are A&M fans glad that he's gone? That's crazy.

Ecstatic.

Which isn't completely unfair actually. Without Johnny, he's gone 8-5 every year (assuming a bowl win this year, obvs not going to happen if they play the Deacs). He's on his fourth offensive coordinator and had the 64th best offensive in the country this year (per S&P+). They pay Chavis $1.6M a year and had the 57th best defense. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect to go better than 0.500 in conference when they don't have a once in a program player. They have as good of facilities as anyone. They spend as much on their coaching staff as anyone.

Last edited:
I hope that the political posts above will be made in the future on the politics forum. I like the historical apolitical norms that we have on the Sports board. Partisan politics and sports are a bad mix!

Schiano would be a good hire. Those hillbillies in Knoxville just think about his time in the NFL rather than the miracle worker he was at Rutgers and the solid DC he has been. Saban didn't really pan out in the NFL either. Neither did Pete Carroll in his first go.

Schiano would be a good hire. Those hillbillies in Knoxville just think about his time in the NFL rather than the miracle worker he was at Rutgers and the solid DC he has been. Saban didn't really pan out in the NFL either. Neither did Pete Carroll in his first go.

Yeah, they're acting like it's his ties to Penn State and the Sandusky stuff, but it really boils down to them thinking they're entitled to a big name hire. Tennessee is kind of like Nebraska, the program doesn't have near the prestige it used to have and the fans refuse to realize that.

Ecstatic.

Which isn't completely unfair actually. Without Johnny, he's gone 8-5 every year (assuming a bowl win this year, obvs not going to happen if they play the Deacs). He's on his fourth offensive coordinator and had the 64th best offensive in the country this year (per S&P+). They pay Chavis $1.6M a year and had the 57th best defense. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect to go better than 0.500 in conference when they don't have a once in a program player. They have as good of facilities as anyone. They spend as much on their coaching staff as anyone.

Yeah, Sumlin has been the picture of mediocrity since he arrived (sans Manziel), but I will say that aTm fans always have inflated expectations about where their program should be. They haven't won a conference title in 20 years, and that one was a prime upset. They're kind of like Tennessee where there are a bunch of high expectations going into the year only to see them devolve into a middling team by the end of the season.

Gruden. They think they will get him.

But I don't get why any smart fan would want him. He isn't going to recruit and the game has passed him by. So many years out of the day to day grind of coaching is not going to make you a better coach. He would torpedo that program more than the lunatic fans already have.

But I don't get why any smart fan would want him. He isn't going to recruit and the game has passed him by. So many years out of the day to day grind of coaching is not going to make you a better coach. He would torpedo that program more than the lunatic fans already have.

But like if Dorean left, you guys wouldn’t be upset about Bill Cower?

All they're looking at is the name. It's amazing how great a former coach looks once he goes into the broadcasting booth and calls everything with the ability of hindsight. Gruden made his name in the league too, not sure why anybody would think he'd automatically make a great college coach.

Tennessee knowing now that no one outside their own circle will even consider the job is said to be begging anyone with Vol ties (Cutcliffe, Martin, etc.) to take the job. Cutcliffe has passed on the job before because of the way he thinks Fulmer was railroaded out of the job in early 2000's. It'll be interesting to see if he bails them out.

But like if Dorean left, you guys wouldn’t be upset about Bill Cower?

Bill Cower would be an absolutely awful hire for NCSU at any time and any NCSU fan who thinks otherwise is a moron. Unfortunately there are a lot of morons out there. See, Tenn fan base as example 1A.

Tennessee fans aren't impressed with his Rutgers stint.

Most SEC fans see a 0.500 record and think a coach is terrible. They don't understand program building or structural limitations. There are plenty of them who think Mike Leach is a mediocre, if not outright bad, coach! They are just idiots.

And it's why, in this climate, we needn't be too worried about Clawson getting an offer for a top tier job. Maybe somewhere like Ole Miss, Arkansas, or Nebraska, but the resource rich programs in the SEC don't want him.

Ecstatic.

They do have a lot of money, but they also have unrealistic expectations considering their division. Even in 2012 when they went 11-2, 6-2 in the SEC and finished 5th in the AP Poll, they finished third in the SEC West behind Alabama and LSU. I'm not sure who they could get in there that'll get past Alabama, Auburn, and LSU once, much less regularly.

Maybe it's just me, but going 8-5 in the SEC West in seasons without a Heisman level player is pretty damn good.

Also, Sumlin is the only coach to get elite level production out Johnny Football, who we now know is a complete mess of a person. That counts for something.

Somebody go ahead and tag "ph defends black coach."

They do have a lot of money, but they also have unrealistic expectations considering their division. Even in 2012 when they went 11-2, 6-2 in the SEC and finished 5th in the AP Poll, they finished third in the SEC West behind Alabama and LSU. I'm not sure who they could get in there that'll get past Alabama, Auburn, and LSU once, much less regularly.

Why shouldn’t they expect to be in the running with those programs? Or at least Auburn and LSU? It’s a little simplistic to say that TAMU should always be worse because it has historically been worse. Hell, LSU was mediocre for all of the 90s and just made a terrible hire. Auburn has made terrible hires before and might make another in a couple of weeks.

I don’t think it’s any program’s birthright to be permanently elite. Ask Tennessee

I like Sumlin, but A&M wasn't above .500 in the SEC West after his first year in 2012. I know who else is in the SEC West, but that isn't going to get it done.

2013 - 4-4 (4th in West)
2014 - 3-5 (6th)
2015 - 4-4 (5th)
2016 - 4-4 (4th)
2017 - 4-4 (T-4th)

I'm sure someone else will hire Sumlin (ASU?), and he'll probably do well there. But I can understand why they thought it was time to move on at A&M.

Why shouldn’t they expect to be in the running with those programs? Or at least Auburn and LSU? It’s a little simplistic to say that TAMU should always be worse because it has historically been worse. Hell, LSU was mediocre for all of the 90s and just made a terrible hire. Auburn has made terrible hires before and might make another in a couple of weeks.

I don’t think it’s any program’s birthright to be permanently elite. Ask Tennessee
They're welcome to expect whatever they'd like to expect. They just fired the coach with the second highest winning percentage in the school's history because it wasn't good enough for them. Their first coach since 1917 to have a winning record every season. Produced the school's second Heisman winner while playing against the SEC West. They overvalue their worth - they're still the little brother in Texas.

The SEC coaching expectations are ridiculous but of all of them Sumlin was definitely given the longest chance.

Because he hasn't had a losing season.

Schiano has connections to Penn State, the Bucs MRSA/player abuse fiasco and has spent that last two years working under the biggest hypocrite in college football.

I rarely defend Tennessee fans, but they are right to be wary of him. I would not send my kids to play for him. Dude is a POS.

Back