• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

Sumlin should go to Starkville where he'll fly under the radar, recruit his fair share of studs, and take advantage of the fall of Ole Miss.

Will Brent "definitely doesn't have" Bulimia land somewhere or does he sit it out a year and get paid to talk and eat the free doughnuts at ESPN or Fox Sports?

Rumored candidates for Miss. State job:

Bill Clark - HC UAB
Neal Brown - HC Troy
Larry Fedora - HC UNC (coached Southern Miss)
Brent Venables - DC Clemson
Jeremy Pruitt - DC Bama
Todd Monken - OC Tampa Bay Bucs (coached Southern Miss)

I think Venables can do better than MSU, perhaps Arkansas. I could see Pruitt taking F$U job should it open. Remember Smart and Riley had never been a HC either before taking UGA & OU jobs and they have it rolling.

Rumored candidates for Miss. State job:

Bill Clark - HC UAB
Neal Brown - HC Troy
Larry Fedora - HC UNC (coached Southern Miss)
Brent Venables - DC Clemson

Jeremy Pruitt - DC Bama
Todd Monken - OC Tampa Bay Bucs (coached Southern Miss)

Who would want Fedora after this year and would Venables get to take his hip hugging buddy with him to Miss State?

Maybe it's just me, but going 8-5 in the SEC West in seasons without a Heisman level player is pretty damn good.

Also, Sumlin is the only coach to get elite level production out Johnny Football, who we now know is a complete mess of a person. That counts for something.

Somebody go ahead and tag "ph defends black coach."

Problem is Sumlin has recruited quite well, and with that recruiting comes expectations. He has had the talent, but not the results. SEC West has declined in recent years (and the SEC East is a joke at this point). Bama is top dawg, but Auburn and LSU are up and down. aTm certainly had some room to make a move as a perennial second fiddle, or at least to compete for second fiddle. As it is, their move turned out to be a lateral one. They were always competing for the 3, 4, or 5 spot in the Big XII South, and are doing the same thing in the SEC West.

The only coach to get elite level production out of Johnny Football? There you go overthinking things again. Does this mean that every coach who has produced a Heisman winner turned NFL bust should get the benefit of the doubt? That's a long list of coaches.

I think Venables can do better than MSU, perhaps Arkansas. I could see Pruitt taking F$U job should it open. Remember Smart and Riley had never been a HC either before taking UGA & OU jobs and they have it rolling.

I'm not sure Brent wants a HC gig. He had ample opportunities while at OU and has been a DC for 20 years. Either he is the world's worst interview or is content not being the face of a program.

Problem is Sumlin has recruited quite well, and with that recruiting comes expectations. He has had the talent, but not the results. SEC West has declined in recent years (and the SEC East is a joke at this point). Bama is top dawg, but Auburn and LSU are up and down. aTm certainly had some room to make a move as a perennial second fiddle, or at least to compete for second fiddle. As it is, their move turned out to be a lateral one. They were always competing for the 3, 4, or 5 spot in the Big XII South, and are doing the same thing in the SEC West.

The only coach to get elite level production out of Johnny Football? There you go overthinking things again. Does this mean that every coach who has produced a Heisman winner turned NFL bust should get the benefit of the doubt? That's a long list of coaches.

Johnny Football is more than just an NFL bust. He's a bust of a person.

Tennessee fans online went from "Kiffin as a backup option if Gruden and Peterson say no" to "please God call Kiffin right now, why haven't we called him yet???"

To make it even funnier, I think they should offer Kiffin the job, have him "accept", then back down the following day.

Honest question, are FSU fans turning on Jimbo? Obviously they can't be thrilled with this season, but they have 5 straight wins against UF and it's not like they are struggling for recruits (another top 10 class for 2018). Most rational people would agree they would not have been so bad if Francois doesn't get hurt in the opener.

If not the fans, is Jimbo turning on FSU? What type of compensation difference are we talking when his name get brought up for these SEC jobs every year? Just wondering, because if he didn't bite for LSU, beyond REALLY 'UGE $$, why would a guy who knows recruiting & winning in FL go to A&M or elsewhere in SEC?

When one reads espn, blogs and message boards, it seems like many are stuck in BCS-era logic that all teams are competing to be the one non-SEC team in the Final (very low margin for error), and therefore midlevel SEC jobs are given elevated status. SEC teams may still enjoy geographic recruiting advantages and a nice fat TV contract, but the era of SEC-or bust looks to be over. The ACC, B10 & SEC has never had a team miss the CFP and it looks like that streak may continue.

If Fedora could get the Miss St job, he should sprint to Starkville. He won't have much more of a leash with UNC.

Honest question, are FSU fans turning on Jimbo? Obviously they can't be thrilled with this season, but they have 5 straight wins against UF and it's not like they are struggling for recruits (another top 10 class for 2018). Most rational people would agree they would not have been so bad if Francois doesn't get hurt in the opener.

If not the fans, is Jimbo turning on FSU? What type of compensation difference are we talking when his name get brought up for these SEC jobs every year? Just wondering, because if he didn't bite for LSU, beyond REALLY 'UGE $$, why would a guy who knows recruiting & winning in FL go to A&M or elsewhere in SEC?

When one reads espn, blogs and message boards, it seems like many are stuck in BCS-era logic that all teams are competing to be the one non-SEC team in the Final (very low margin for error), and therefore midlevel SEC jobs are given elevated status. SEC teams may still enjoy geographic recruiting advantages and a nice fat TV contract, but the era of SEC-or bust looks to be over. The ACC, B10 & SEC has never had a team miss the CFP and it looks like that streak may continue.

I imagine FSU fans are tired of him job hunting as much as anything. He's in a premier job and makes $5.25M a year. I mean it would like if Clawson went and talked to...I don't know...Northwestern then Vanderbilt then Baylor in consecutive off seasons.

I imagine FSU fans are tired of him job hunting as much as anything. He's in a premier job and makes $5.25M a year. I mean it would like if Clawson went and talked to...I don't know...Northwestern then Vanderbilt then Baylor in consecutive off seasons.

Somebody posted on Facebook that Terry Bowden would be the next FSU coach if Jimbo skips town. That would be interesting, lol.

Gruden has turned down at least a dozen jobs. Why would he take the Tennessee job?

Not sure. I listened to that for about 45 minutes and the fans that called in wanted Gruden. To be fair a couple of those fans didn't think they would get him.

Irrelevant as it applies to Sumlin.

It is you're trying to discredit what he did with Manziel. You can't say he doesn't get credit for Manziel then say it doesn't matter that Manziel is a shitty person who nobody else could get to be a decent QB. It's not like Odom and Tim Duncan.

Back