• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

Best i've heard about Jimbo is that FSU is tired of his dog and pony show of going back every season asking for more and that they are going to call his bluff on going somewhere else for greener pasture$. FSU is a much better gig than A&M in my opinion, with the only reason Jimbo may be thinking of bolting is Texa$ with an emphasis on the $$. This off season has been crazy already.

Jimbo is also the lowest paid coach who has one a national title.

It is you're trying to discredit what he did with Manziel. You can't say he doesn't get credit for Manziel then say it doesn't matter that Manziel is a shitty person who nobody else could get to be a decent QB. It's not like Odom and Tim Duncan.

I'm questioning what your point is. I mean, Sumlin didn't even recruit Manziel. They had an open QB competition when Tannehill left. But Sumlin didn't run around and make tacklers miss with his legs. He didn't throw jump balls to Evans. Sumlin assessed that Manziel should be starting QB and let him do his thing. Great. I don't think of that as a particularly great accomplishment, and you could argue that the "let him do his thing" element of that led to Johnny Football becoming the giant dbag that he became. I mean, he pretty much owned College Station while he was there. "Nobody else" could get him to be a decent QB because he only played for Sumlin. Nobody else could get Eric Crouch to be a decent QB other than Frank Solich. Great. So what?

Honest question, are FSU fans turning on Jimbo? Obviously they can't be thrilled with this season, but they have 5 straight wins against UF and it's not like they are struggling for recruits (another top 10 class for 2018). Most rational people would agree they would not have been so bad if Francois doesn't get hurt in the opener.

If not the fans, is Jimbo turning on FSU? What type of compensation difference are we talking when his name get brought up for these SEC jobs every year? Just wondering, because if he didn't bite for LSU, beyond REALLY 'UGE $$, why would a guy who knows recruiting & winning in FL go to A&M or elsewhere in SEC?

When one reads espn, blogs and message boards, it seems like many are stuck in BCS-era logic that all teams are competing to be the one non-SEC team in the Final (very low margin for error), and therefore midlevel SEC jobs are given elevated status. SEC teams may still enjoy geographic recruiting advantages and a nice fat TV contract, but the era of SEC-or bust looks to be over. The ACC, B10 & SEC has never had a team miss the CFP and it looks like that streak may continue.

I've always been pro-Jimbo and it's a much better job because of him but, I won't be too shook up at his leaving. He was going to have to basically hire a new staff in Tally anyways so maybe he would rather just do that in a new environment. I also think we may have hit the ceiling with Jimbo. We have been trending down since Jameis left and this year was really rock bottom. Maybe, it would be good for both. He definitely doesn't seem to have the fire he had when we hired him and has become pretty damn chippy with our media lately. Which if you can't handle the media in Tally, the SEC will be another ball of wax. I certainly would not approve of yet another raise after the disaster this season.

Stoneville,

Why is FSU looking for a new group of assistants? Did Jimbo announce that he is cleaning house or are they leaving for new opportunities or both?

Have heard that one of Jimbo's pet peeves is the lack of an indoor practice facility. On the one hand, I understand the issue from a recruiting perspective as Clemson, every SEC school and even WF have new indoor facilities with every imaginable bell and whistle, but on the other hand, FSU is in temperate climate of allahassee, how much does FSU really need an indoor facility?

Stoneville,

Why is FSU looking for a new group of assistants? Did Jimbo announce that he is cleaning house or are they leaving for new opportunities or both?

Have heard that one of Jimbo's pet peeves is the lack of an indoor practice facility. On the one hand, I understand the issue from a recruiting perspective as Clemson, every SEC school and even WF have new indoor facilities with every imaginable bell and whistle, but on the other hand, FSU is in temperate climate of allahassee, how much does FSU really need an indoor facility?

We've got an indoor facility and FSU doesn't, would've never figured that.

Stoneville,

Pretty much no team in the Southeast "needs" an indoor practice facility. Those buildings have never been about need. They are more about having a bunch of cash sitting around in these high major programs that can't go to players, so the arms race gets kicked off. Then it's about getting what everyone else has.

We have a practically brand new indoor practice facility that was provided for him. Jimbo is wanting a football only facility for offices, lockers, gamerooms, etc. Charles Kelly, DC has been awful since he got to Tally but in Jimbo's defense he was like the 4th choice since we wouldn't pony up the cash to keep Pruitt or bring in another top DC. The OL is coached by Jimbo's best friend, Rick Trickett and has also been awful for quite a few years now. Again, you can't blame this season simply on losing Francois. He's a great talent but he didn't cause the defense to be one of the worst in D-1. Plus, a lot of other in-house issues are going on most feel like. Again, I'd prefer keep Jimbo because he's a known commodity and beats our rivals but, I can't get on board with giving yet another raise after the year we had. I'd much rather just get someone hungry in. Willie Taggart would be a long shot but, he would be my first call.

Stoneville,

I'm sure Stoneville can chime in more than me but the FSU fans that I know have blamed everything bad the last 2 years at FSU on shitty coaching by the assistants and especially the defensive coaches. Most are older white guys and prevailing theory i've heard is that the staff needs to get younger and bring in new blood that can go get it on the recruiting trail.

Stoneville,

Thanks. Now the move to Texas A&M would make sense. They have an awesome football-players only game-room... ;-)

Pretty much no team in the Southeast "needs" an indoor practice facility. Those buildings have never been about need. They are more about having a bunch of cash sitting around in these high major programs that can't go to players, so the arms race gets kicked off. Then it's about getting what everyone else has.

We have a practically brand new indoor practice facility that was provided for him. Jimbo is wanting a football only facility for offices, lockers, gamerooms, etc. Charles Kelly, DC has been awful since he got to Tally but in Jimbo's defense he was like the 4th choice since we wouldn't pony up the cash to keep Pruitt or bring in another top DC. The OL is coached by Jimbo's best friend, Rick Trickett and has also been awful for quite a few years now. Again, you can't blame this season simply on losing Francois. He's a great talent but he didn't cause the defense to be one of the worst in D-1. Plus, a lot of other in-house issues are going on most feel like. Again, I'd prefer keep Jimbo because he's a known commodity and beats our rivals but, I can't get on board with giving yet another raise after the year we had. I'd much rather just get someone hungry in. Willie Taggart would be a long shot but, he would be my first call.

I thought surely you guys had an indoor. They are probably more important to have than you think. I think Clawson said ours had already saved us from missing several days of practice the last 2 years. Remember, they aren’t allowed to have practice if lightning is in the area which is frequent during camp and early in the season.

I thought surely you guys had an indoor. They are probably more important to have than you think. I think Clawson said ours had already saved us from missing several days of practice the last 2 years. Remember, they aren’t allowed to have practice if lightning is in the area which is frequent during camp and early in the season.

Meh. Put that same cash into a payroll for players over 10 years, and I bet you get a better return even with missing practice time.

Meh. Put that same cash into a payroll for players over 10 years, and I bet you get a better return even with missing practice time.

Meh all you want, but Clawson has said that is huge, especially during game weeks. The year before we got the indoor, Clawson said we missed 2 days of game week practice before the Syracuse game.

Meh all you want, but Clawson has said that is huge, especially during game weeks. The year before we got the indoor, Clawson said we missed 2 days of game week practice before the Syracuse game.

Of course he’s gonna say that. It’s also a thing that matters more because everyone has them.

Of course he’s gonna say that. It’s also a thing that matters more because everyone has them.

Missing 2 days of prep for a game is a big deal and yes if almost all of your opponents have one, it puts you at a disadvantage. I’m not crazy about facility arms race either, but it is what it is.

Missing 2 days of prep for a game is a big deal and yes if almost all of your opponents have one, it puts you at a disadvantage. I’m not crazy about facility arms race either, but it is what it is.

What are we arguing about here? I’m basically saying that the facility arms race is a response to a glut of money in an industry where you can’t pay your labor force.

What are we arguing about here? I’m basically saying that the facility arms race is a response to a glut of money in an industry where you can’t pay your labor force.

Nothing really, except I think it is an important thing to have one, because of the glut of money you speak of.

Depends on how you define "important".

If renovations closed the indoor facilities of Clemson and Oklahoma this year, guessing they would still be 1 and 2 in the country right now. However, if Clemson and Oklahoma had no indoor facility, they might not have been able to recruit the players that got them to those spots. Somehow college football was played for decades at a very high level with no indoor facilities. There are NFL teams that have no indoor facility or have nothing more than a tennis bubble; yet, they manage to play the game on the highest level possible. Very few college teams play in an outdoor environment less welcoming than New England, and the Patriots have an indoor bubble which they never use (even in December and January).

Last edited:
Depends on how you define "important".

If renovations closed the indoor facilities of Clemson and Oklahoma this year, guessing they would still be 1 and 2 in the country right now. However, if Clemson and Oklahoma had no indoor facility, they might not have been able to recruit the players that got them to those spots. Somehow college football was played for decades at a very high level with no indoor facilities. There are NFL teams that have no indoor facility or have nothing more than a tennis bubble; yet, they manage to play the game on the highest level possible. Very few college teams play in an outdoor environment less welcoming than New England, and the Patriots have an indoor bubble which they never use (even in December and January).

Are you saying we would be at no disadvantage from a practice and game prep standpoint and recruiting standpoint if we didn’t have one? Yeah for many years there were no indoor facilities and that is why it wasn’t important then, but it became important when the competition started getting them.

Back