• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

Clawson is smart enough and experienced enough to know that the grass is not always greener and that quality of life considerations are important, but he is also relatively young and very ambitious. WFU will not be his last stop.

I absolutely agree with this, and frankly, we don't really benefit in the long run from a coach who has decided he has reached his last stop and loses that burning hunger that comes from ambition to move on higher (e.g., Grobe after turning down Arkansas).

I do think that Clawson is far too savvy to go to an SEC meat-grinder (e.g., Tennessee or Florida) with an insane fan base and a media that panders to them. Most likely Clawson will bide his time, keep building Wake's program, and hope a job like Stanford or Northwestern comes open where he would have the monetary and other assets to build a national top 10 program but without the crazy expectations, fans and media.

I absolutely agree with this, and frankly, we don't really benefit in the long run from a coach who has decided he has reached his last stop and loses that burning hunger that comes from ambition to move on higher (e.g., Grobe after turning down Arkansas).

I do think that Clawson is far too savvy to go to an SEC meat-grinder (e.g., Tennessee or Florida) with an insane fan base and a media that panders to them. Most likely Clawson will bide his time, keep building Wake's program, and hope a job like Stanford comes open where he would have the monetary and other assets to build a national top 10 program but without the crazy expectations, fans and media.

depending on how the rest of the season goes, i can see Tenn. as a concern.

I do think that Clawson is far too savvy to go to an SEC meat-grinder (e.g., Tennessee or Florida) with an insane fan base and a media that panders to them. Most likely Clawson will bide his time, keep building Wake's program, and hope a job like Stanford or Northwestern comes open where he would have the monetary and other assets to build a national top 10 program but without the crazy expectations, fans and media.

Is Northwestern a better job than Wake?

And seems pretty unlikely Stanford will open for a good long while. It's hard to imagine Shaw leaving to go to another college program.

depending on how the rest of the season goes, i can see Tenn. as a concern.

If not for Clawson's previous stint at Tenn. I'd agree. I would think Clawson would be wary of that situation and the fan base would be skeptical at best toward that hire. He would have an additional hurdle toward winning over the fan base and anything less than immediate success would exacerbate that situation (especially if it takes time to instill an offense that stagnates at first)

I'd be really surprised if Frost turned down Nebraska if/when they come calling in a couple of weeks.

Clawson ain't going anywhere. This Williams grad has found his home. He likes the product he is selling. Not going to sell out for Big State U football factories. In addition we will pay him whatever it takes. Rest easy friends.

I don't think John Currie the Ad at Tennessee would pluck Clawson from his mentor, Wellman. That's just not going to happen.

One of my good friends was a suitemate at Williams and good friend of Clawson's and still is. His son now goes to Wake and he gets together with Clawson a handful of times a year. They have lunch etc when he comes to Wake to see his son, that kind of thing. According to him, Clawson LOVES living here and LOVES Wake and the quality of life and Clawson has told him he is here as long as Wake will have him. Says Clawson is extremely happy.

The way college football fan bases are, I don't think you would start seeing Clawson's name up for one of these really big jobs unless you started seeing Wake pushing the top 10 in the rankings and having one or two really big time seasons. That seems to just be the way it works., You have to REALLY get some flashy things done for one of those big programs to be able to pass the coach by a huge rabid high expectation fan base like those mentioned.

Unless it's something like a HUGE program, Clawson won't even want a sniff of it anyway.

Last edited:
Is Northwestern a better job than Wake?

And seems pretty unlikely Stanford will open for a good long while. It's hard to imagine Shaw leaving to go to another college program.

Shaw is the all-time winningest coach in Stanford history. Doesn't feel like he's been there that long until you think about how Harbaugh has been around the block and back since he left.

Clawson ain't going anywhere. This Williams grad has found his home. He likes the product he is selling. Not going to sell out for Big State U football factories. In addition we will pay him whatever it takes. Rest easy friends.

It would be really fortunate to have 2 consecutive coaches that were/are successful and did/may have the chance to move to bigger programs and be happy at LOWF. I think that would speak to Ron Wellman doing a pretty good job with hiring football coaches (gulp) and the level of our program being higher than in the past.

Shaw is the all-time winningest coach in Stanford history. Doesn't feel like he's been there that long until you think about how Harbaugh has been around the block and back since he left.

I don't think Fitzgerald would leave NW unless fired and as long as he keeps them competitive and winning more than losing that won't happen.

I'll believe Coach Clawson will stay at Wake if and when a larger P-5 looks at him and he says no. A lot of people say the right things, but if somebody offers to come close to doubling your salary (I think Clawson is at around $2.2-2.3M), that is a hard thing to turn down.

People need to stop talking about Tennessee- there is 0.0 chance he goes there. The fanbase would freak the fuck out.

The schools up this year, or at least the ones we know will be open now, aren't particularly good fits- of Arkansas, Tenn, UF, Ole Miss and Nebraska, only Nebraska could make any sense. As was said before, I'd be surprised if Coach Clawson went to the Pac-12, and he is not leaving Wake to go to another ACC school. So that is comforting.

I'll believe Coach Clawson will stay at Wake if and when a larger P-5 looks at him and he says no. A lot of people say the right things, but if somebody offers to come close to doubling your salary (I think Clawson is at around $2.2-2.3M), that is a hard thing to turn down.

People need to stop talking about Tennessee- there is 0.0 chance he goes there. The fanbase would freak the fuck out.

The schools up this year, or at least the ones we know will be open now, aren't particularly good fits- of Arkansas, Tenn, UF, Ole Miss and Nebraska, only Nebraska could make any sense. As was said before, I'd be surprised if Coach Clawson went to the Pac-12, and he is not leaving Wake to go to another ACC school. So that is comforting.

That's the camp I'm in. Clawson is still a young guy and I think he's got an ego in a positive way, so it wouldn't be a surprise if at least part of him would want to see what he could do at a big school with all the resources. If he would leave for that, I wouldn't begrudge him that.

Discussion is way premature. There's a big difference between six wins and eight wins. If we win eight, I'll entertain this discussion. But right now it seems like a Wake complex where all our "stars" are going to the league after 2 years, like BC.

Discussion is way premature. There's a big difference between six wins and eight wins. If we win eight, I'll entertain this discussion. But right now it seems like a Wake complex where all our "stars" are going to the league after 2 years, like BC.

He may still get some looks. The Grobe to Baylor stuff was prior to the 2006 season.

I don't think John Currie the Ad at Tennessee would pluck Clawson from his mentor, Wellman. That's just not going to happen.

One of my good friends was a suitemate at Williams and good friend of Clawson's and still is. His son now goes to Wake and he gets together with Clawson a handful of times a year. They have lunch etc when he comes to Wake to see his son, that kind of thing. According to him, Clawson LOVES living here and LOVES Wake and the quality of life and Clawson has told him he is here as long as Wake will have him. Says Clawson is extremely happy.

The way college football fan bases are, I don't think you would start seeing Clawson's name up for one of these really big jobs unless you started seeing Wake pushing the top 10 in the rankings and having one or two really big time seasons. That seems to just be the way it works., You have to REALLY get some flashy things done for one of those big programs to be able to pass the coach by a huge rabid high expectation fan base like those mentioned.

Unless it's something like a HUGE program, Clawson won't even want a sniff of it anyway.

Clawson has other close connections to Wake. Could he leave for top 5 job? Sure, but were that to happen, it would be after a historic type of season at Wake...and I would take that.

Duke friend told me yesterday there is growing support to Grobe Cutliffe. And one thing that is making the movement grow is the Clawson offense is making Cutliffe look like he is running an offense from the leather helmet days. His words, not mine.

Wow, dook will never get any better coach than Cutcliffe.

We of all fan bases know that the small private schools go through cyclical success.

Duke friend told me yesterday there is growing support to Grobe Cutliffe. And one thing that is making the movement grow is the Clawson offense is making Cutliffe look like he is running an offense from the leather helmet days. His words, not mine.

If I were a Duke fan, I don't think I'd be at that point with Cut just yet.

Duke wanted their own Grobe and they got it.

Back