• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

Duke friend told me yesterday there is growing support to Grobe Cutliffe. And one thing that is making the movement grow is the Clawson offense is making Cutliffe look like he is running an offense from the leather helmet days. His words, not mine.

The Clawfense is ridic. Watching that game on Saturday was so freaking fun. When the ball was leaving Wolford's hand, you knew it going to a guy that was going to be pretty open. It was surreal.

Cutcliffe is a guy I would not be shocked to see retire at the end of this season or the next. He is, and has been, great for Duke. But it is so hard to be a winning coach at Duke or Wake, especially on a consistent basis. I would be shocked if he was willing to put in the effort necessary to be good for much longer.

Dave Clawson will never coach at Tennessee. Here in Knoxville he shouldered a lot if not most of the blame and animosity or Fulmer's last year and became the scapegoat. There would be a divisive furor if UT did so much as approach him. Does not matter that Fulmer was already out the door, needed to go and that Clawson had no chance. The Clawson name in Knoxville is nearly the equivalent of Elrod with Wake faithful. Fulmer still has a a strong faction of nostalgic support and the new AD would garner a lot of animosity in talking with Clawson much less hiring him. Is not right or fair but that is the way it is.

Yes, the Tenn stuff makes me laugh. Anybody who mentions Clawson for the tenn job just does not understand How crazy SEC fan bases are.

If Claw is in fact “ours” and is happy where he is, then we enjoy him as long as we can but will have to worry about the Grobe-effect later in his career.

I think right now Claw is in his prime in both recruiting and coaching, we are lucky.

I'd be really surprised if Frost turned down Nebraska if/when they come calling in a couple of weeks.

Below is 1 big reason Frost will say yes to Neb. This is what UCF is drawing to home games.

DOXc8F2WkAA6slO.jpg

Prior to hiring Cut, Duke had 3 winning seasons in the last 25 and hadn't won an ACC game in three years. With him, they've made an ACCCG and have three winning seasons in the last ten (they're 4-6 now and not likely to have a winning season).

Grobe had 5 winning seasons in 13 years. With one more win this year, Clawson has 2 winning seasons in 4.

How many minutes before kickoff was that taken?

Not sure but they only drew 28K (in a 44K seating stadium) for the home game this past weekend vs UConn. I know its UConn but they have never been 9-0 ever and that was on the line. There are simply to many other things to do in Orlando than watch UCF football.

Not sure but they only drew 28K (in a 44K seating stadium) for the home game this past weekend vs UConn. I know its UConn but they have never been 9-0 ever and that was on the line. There are simply to many other things to do in Orlando than watch UCF football.

I think Frost would go to Nebraska, but the Nebraska job isn't what it used to be. I think it's going to be really hard for anyone to get Nebraska back to being a national power, the location works against it and the smaller their past successes get in the rearview mirror, the harder it is to recruit off of it.

Not sure we are in a great place to criticize Duke fans on this one.

Grobe’s resume was better than Cutcliffe’s, and I know I was more than ready to see him leave.

Despite being an a former Cornhusker player, I've heard that Frost is more likely to end up at Florida than Nebraska. Times have changed; will be very hard for even the best coach to win big at Nebraska now. There is just no local recruiting base, and there are a ton of other schools that kids from California, Texas and Florida would rather go to now.

Comparing Clawson to Elrod even among the TN lunatic fringe is ridiculous (Elrod schemed to destroy the WF Football program; that's just another level from a perception of being an inadequate OC), but agree Clawson is very unlikely to have even remote interest in the TN job, he was eager to leave Knoxville when he was their OC, and their fanbase is more delusional than most in the SEC (which is saying something).

Agree that Clawson feels comfortable and happy at WF, but his stock has never been higher and there is stupid money available from desperate Power V programs. So, I would be surprised, but not shocked if he flirted/considered a high dollar/long guarantee offer from a Arkansas, Texas A&M, LSU, maybe even Nebraska type of school.

Last edited:
I think Frost would go to Nebraska, but the Nebraska job isn't what it used to be. I think it's going to be really hard for anyone to get Nebraska back to being a national power, the location works against it and the smaller their past successes get in the rearview mirror, the harder it is to recruit off of it.

Now that Frost has name recognition and pipeline to FL recruits, Nebraska could be back in business sooner rather than later.

Now that Frost has name recognition and pipeline to FL recruits, Nebraska could be back in business sooner rather than later.

Maybe, but he's got to get those recruits to come to Lincoln as opposed to FSU, UF, and the U, not to mention the other SEC/ACC schools and even UCF and USF. Not sure he could get enough of them to come for them to be able to compete with OSU, Mich, Wiscon, Mich State, Penn State, for Big 10 titles. Nebraska has one of the best fan bases in the country, but they still have extremely high expectations based on their past and that my be getting unrealistic as time goes on.

And since 2008 Nebraska has won at least nine games eight times. It's not like they've been garbage for several years. I agree it would be easier to win at Florida than Nebraska just due to the recruiting base, but Frost's history in Lincoln and the idea of being "the guy who made Nebraska champions again" would be appealing.

You say that while Wisconsin is a couple of games away from going to the playoffs out of the B1G West.

And since 2008 Nebraska has won at least nine games eight times. It's not like they've been garbage for several years. I agree it would be easier to win at Florida than Nebraska just due to the recruiting base, but Frost's history in Lincoln and the idea of being "the guy who made Nebraska champions again" would be appealing.

You say that while Wisconsin is a couple of games away from going to the playoffs out of the B1G West.

I just think Nebraska has lost it's luster as a national power and it may be really hard to get it back. Wisconsin for whatever reason seems to be the stronger program (not just this year but overall) now. I mean I certainly could be wrong, but it seems that way to me. I actually think Nebraska might have an easier time getting back to being a national power if they were still in the Big 12. The Oklahoma v. Nebraska game used to be huge, shame it's gone. Kind of like Texas v. A&M.

Back