• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

I just think Nebraska has lost it's luster as a national power and it may be really hard to get it back. Wisconsin for whatever reason seems to be the stronger program (not just this year but overall) now. I mean I certainly could be wrong, but it seems that way to me. I actually think Nebraska might have an easier time getting back to being a national power if they were still in the Big 12. The Oklahoma v. Nebraska game used to be huge, shame it's gone. Kind of like Texas v. A&M.

Sure Wisconsin is the stronger team right now, but you're basically competing with Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa to win the B1G West.

Sure Wisconsin is the stronger team right now, but you're basically competing with Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa to win the B1G West.

That's true, they do play in the much weaker division, but they've got to deal with OSU, Mich, Mich State and Penn State to win conference titles. I'd like to see Nebraska get back to being Nebraska, great fans and have a great tradition. Just not sure they can get back to it.

Neb leaving the Big 12 was a major mistake but not a fatal one. The way the winds were blowing at the time everyone thought Texas and the Long Horn channel were going to take over college football, but it didn't happen. Nebraska left for the Big 10 for more $$$ as their part of the Big 12 pie was lessening.

To me, you can put LSU, Neb, and Tenn all in the same boat as coaching and administrative decisions in the last 10 years or so have cost each big time. LSU has the best chance to succeed due to a built in recruiting advantage. Neb is next if they could get Frost. Tenn is in for a rough ride as I have no idea if Currie knows the size of the mess he has gotten himself into.

Neb leaving the Big 12 was a major mistake but not a fatal one. The way the winds were blowing at the time everyone thought Texas and the Long Horn channel were going to take over college football, but it didn't happen. Nebraska left for the Big 10 for more $$$ as their part of the Big 12 pie was lessening.

To me, you can put LSU, Neb, and Tenn all in the same boat as coaching and administrative decisions in the last 10 years or so have cost each big time. LSU has the best chance to succeed due to a built in recruiting advantage. Neb is next if they could get Frost. Tenn is in for a rough ride as I have no idea if Currie knows the size of the mess he has gotten himself into.

I think Tenn is in the boat of having their success and traditional getting smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror as well. I heard someone say Tennessee used to be a national brand in football, now not so much.

Agree that Frost to UF is more likely than Frost to Nebraska.

As a UF alum (grad school), I'm not sure what I'd like to see.

Chip Kelly would be interesting, but expensive. And he has a reputation for not wanting to put in the effort required to recruit at the highest level.
Scott Frost seems like a home run, but he has limited head coaching experience and UCF is not UF.
Dan Mullen seems like a "safe" hire (and probably a very good one)... Not sure it would really excite folks, though.

I think, to me, Dan Mullen just makes too much sense... But I bet it ends up being Scott Frost.

Agree that Frost to UF is more likely than Frost to Nebraska.

As a UF alum (grad school), I'm not sure what I'd like to see.

Chip Kelly would be interesting, but expensive. And he has a reputation for not wanting to put in the effort required to recruit at the highest level.
Scott Frost seems like a home run, but he has limited head coaching experience and UCF is not UF.
Dan Mullen seems like a "safe" hire (and probably a very good one)... Not sure it would really excite folks, though.

I think, to me, Dan Mullen just makes too much sense... But I bet it ends up being Scott Frost.

With all the competition in Fla, that's not a good thing.

I don't think John Currie the Ad at Tennessee would pluck Clawson from his mentor, Wellman. That's just not going to happen.

One of my good friends was a suitemate at Williams and good friend of Clawson's and still is. His son now goes to Wake and he gets together with Clawson a handful of times a year. They have lunch etc when he comes to Wake to see his son, that kind of thing. According to him, Clawson LOVES living here and LOVES Wake and the quality of life and Clawson has told him he is here as long as Wake will have him. Says Clawson is extremely happy.

The way college football fan bases are, I don't think you would start seeing Clawson's name up for one of these really big jobs unless you started seeing Wake pushing the top 10 in the rankings and having one or two really big time seasons. That seems to just be the way it works., You have to REALLY get some flashy things done for one of those big programs to be able to pass the coach by a huge rabid high expectation fan base like those mentioned.

Unless it's something like a HUGE program, Clawson won't even want a sniff of it anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Wake in or near the top 25, with a signature win (like Syracuse over Clemson this year) would put Clawson on a lot of people's radar. And the phone would start ringing in his agent's office.

But from all that has been said, it sounds like he would be pretty selective about going somewhere else.

Thanks for the info.

Just to add to this information, Clawson told me that he promised his daughter he would not leave Wake while she is still in school (at Davidson.) This is not intended as a commentary as to what may happen three or more years from now, but that in the short term he has no intention of going anywhere because of the proximity to his daughter.

Remember too, that Clawson's parents and all of his siblings live in the Charlotte area.

Lots of smoke down in FL regarding Chip Kelly to Gainesville but I would be surprised to see it happen.

If Jim McElwain rubbed some of the big donors and top administrators the wrong way at UF, I can't imagine bringing Chip Kelly on board.

Keep in mind that McElwain didn't lose his job over "on the field" results. That didn't help matters but it was the "off the field" stuff and pissing off the wrong people which prompted the dismissal.

It would be great if he had a long, successful tenure at Wake. But that is a lot to ask. Conference championships will be hard to come by, needing a combination of luck and skill.

Just to add to this information, Clawson told me that he promised his daughter he would not leave Wake while she is still in school (at Davidson.) This is not intended as a commentary as to what may happen three or more years from now, but that in the short term he has no intention of going anywhere because of the proximity to his daughter.

Remember too, that Clawson's parents and all of his siblings live in the Charlotte area.

So he’s going to the 49ers.

Sounds like Wake needs to include a beach house in Clawson's next contract extension.

Below is 1 big reason Frost will say yes to Neb. This is what UCF is drawing to home games.

What's the deal? Isn't UCF the largest school in the United States?

Lots of commuters? All of them FSU/Miami/UF fans?

It’s all cyclical.

Bama was mediocre for a decade cycling through Dubose, Franchione and Shula (not to mention mike price and ncaa sanctions) before Saban came along.

Michigan struggled through last few years of Carr, rich rod, and hoke before making a solid hire.

LSU, Nebraska and Tennessee could all be right back to top 10 programs with a big hire or could stay mediocre with ed orgeron and Butch Jones level hires.

I believe Clawson has been successful because he has a system that he follows which is what Saban and other successful coaches also do. The results have already astounded me starting with our offense at Louisville followed by ND and Syracuse. If we had this offense throughout this year we could be competing for a conference championship this year. College football is always subject to upsets but I believe we will beat State this weekend if the D shows up. No excuses, next man up philosophy with our depth now. I state where this team is now as one of the reasons I think Clawson will stay. Others follow:
1) The ACC is unlike any other conference with more private schools where the SEC and BIG only have one and the Big 12 and PAC only have two. With the exception of Clemson and Florida State the "big" state schools in our conference are not usually dominant. In other words, we have a better chance to win in our conference.
2) Our coaches always mention recruiting to our profile - the athletes and parents have to want an education and can't have a bunch of character defects. I think Clawson appreciates working with "good student athletes."
3) His daughter is a freshman at Davidson, at most an hour drive. Easy for the parents to visit or daughter to come home on weekends.
4)I always thought Duke was our big competitor for recruits since they were the closest private school with a similar recruiting profile. We had lost recruits to them recently. With their apparent demise on the end of Cut's coaching career, Wake should win this battle now.
5)Only two other coaches in Wake's fb history have captured the imagination of the fan base - Peahead and Grobe. Clawson will surpass them if he stays and will probably have the second statue on campus. At the other historical big state U"s he would be just another really good coach lost in the litany of other really good coaches that have shared his seat before.
6) Clawson puts and keeps the pressure on himself and he doesn't need any more outside pressure from unreasonable fan bases and ADs. As long as stays true to his "system" he's here as long as he wants.
7) Coach K was asked one time about coaching in the pros where he could make more money. His response was "How many sweaters do I need?" When is enough enough. More money will not change someone's life or their family security when you're already making in the millions. I'm also sure that Wake will pay (within some reason) what it takes to keep Clawson.

The only reasons to go are more money and ego. He doesn't impress me as a more money at all costs kind of coach. His ego will get stroked plenty at Wake when he takes us to the next level. Look at ND and Stanford as the epitomes of great private schools with outstanding football. I believe Clawson and I believe he believes we can get there. Just listen to what he has said. "Our fans shouldn't be surprised when we go to a bowl game - they should expect to go." We're here to compete for the conference championship. Pardon my paraphrasing but you get the gist.

Back