• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

I didn't realize UCF was such a bigass school. FIU, too (4th highest enrollment).

7) Coach K was asked one time about coaching in the pros where he could make more money. His response was "How many sweaters do I need?" When is enough enough. More money will not change someone's life or their family security when you're already making in the millions. I'm also sure that Wake will pay (within some reason) what it takes to keep Clawson.

The moral of the story is if you win, your university will get you all the sweaters you need.

What's the deal? Isn't UCF the largest school in the United States?

Lots of commuters? All of them FSU/Miami/UF fans?

Its a commuter school with tons of other things to do on football weekends.

I actually can see Kelly to UF before Frost as they want not just a proven winner but a proven big time winner.

The consideration of more money in coaching hires can't discount the fact that coaches at this level are uniquely competitive people. Their salaries are part of their competition.

Commuter schools typically draw far smaller crowds for sports relative to their enrollment than non-commuter schools. Feels more like cheering for your employer than your alma mater.

Commuter schools typically draw far smaller crowds for sports relative to their enrollment than non-commuter schools. Feels more like cheering for your employer than your alma mater.

That's one component. But it's also that commuter schools have a broad student base. They're more likely to have students who are working on Saturdays or taking their kids to soccer games.

That's one component. But it's also that commuter schools have a broad student base. They're more likely to have students who are working on Saturdays or taking their kids to soccer games.

Or cranking out sociology papers.

What's the deal? Isn't UCF the largest school in the United States?

Lots of commuters? All of them FSU/Miami/UF fans?

My wife went to UCF. Lived at home about 10-15 minutes from campus. Could not care less about UCF athletics (or anything to do with the school, really). It is weird.

She is a UF fan now.

My wife went to UCF. Lived at home about 10-15 minutes from campus. Could not care less about UCF athletics (or anything to do with the school, really). It is weird.

She is a UF fan now.

There was nothing to care about beyond Dante Culpepper, Blake Bortles, and Brandon Marshall. It's a chicken and egg thing in a lot of ways.

UCF and USF have a lot of students with built in allegiances to UF and FSU. They have commuter students and residence students too who don't care about sports. But they view it as an opportunity to lock these students in as loyal fans and alums down the road. USF is planning to build a new on-campus stadium so they won't have to play at Raymond James anymore.

There was nothing to care about beyond Dante Culpepper, Blake Bortles, and Brandon Marshall. It's a chicken and egg thing in a lot of ways.

UCF and USF have a lot of students with built in allegiances to UF and FSU. They have commuter students and residence students too who don't care about sports. But they view it as an opportunity to lock these students in as loyal fans and alums down the road. USF is planning to build a new on-campus stadium so they won't have to play at Raymond James anymore.

Totally forgot about Culpepper at UCF. Never associate him with them. Really don't think about UCF much at all anyway though.

Its a commuter school with tons of other things to do on football weekends.

I actually can see Kelly to UF before Frost as they want not just a proven winner but a proven big time winner.

as i said on the first page:

They’re trying for Chip Kelly and Scott Frost first.

Mullen is a backup option, new UF AD was same position at Miss St so he’d be easy to get.

Why get an apprentice when the master wants to work for you? Frost is a Kelly disciple.

Totally forgot about Culpepper at UCF. Never associate him with them. Really don't think about UCF much at all anyway though.

Gotta get on them Bortles facts

Gotta get on them Bortles facts

lol

Capt. Andrew Luck is my current favorite NFL Twitter follow.

UF should totes do what they should have done years ago and hire Charlie Strong.

Matt Campbell is probably getting one of these openings as well. Charlie Strong had a some rebuilding to do at UL after Kragthorpe, but he did a lot of great things there. Sure Texas didn't work out, but his name could be out there this time around. Probably needs another 2-3 years at USF with solid results to get one of the openings like these, but if he wants it, he'll get one again. Might happen now if Florida whiffs on some top targets, which I don't think will happen, but you never know.

Big Balls Chip will be the next coach of the Florida Gators, official announcement to come later this week.

Tim Brando said today that as many as 7 SEC schools will be looking for new coaches after this season:

Already open:

Florida
TN

Likely to be open:

Arkansas
Ole Miss (interim coach currently holds that spot)
Texas A&M

Possibly open:

Missouri
Miss. State (assuming Dan Mullen takes another job)

That's a lot of turnover. Brando also trashed the SEC East contending that it's weaker than the Big 10 West (the Division that Wisconsin clinched in October). He also commented on the pathetic QB play in the SEC. Outside of Hurts and maybe Drew Lock at Missou, hard to name even a QB in that conference that's a legit threat to win a game with his arm. Really weird how that conference is consistently unable to produce productive QBs.

Back