• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

Ayo

What up, Bird?
Reaction score
Butch Jones fired.

Last edited:
Given that there will be a number of higher profile jobs are either already available (or likely to become available) this offseason, this board should be prepared for some AD's to come sniffing around Clawson, particularly if we win out and have 8-9 wins. His turnaround rep will be a great selling point for the Tennessees of the D1 football.

Might as well start the speculation on who might be on Wellman's short list if Clawson is lured away by someone. I suspect Mike Elko is on there for one.

^ it's interesting because there really aren't too many schools he'd go to. Have to be P5. PAC-12 is out for sure. ACC pretty much out too. So that really only leaves SEC, Big-10 and (maybe) Big 12. Tenn would be realistic except he already had a rough stretch there. Florida? I just don't see that but you never know i guess.

Given that there will be a number of higher profile jobs are either already available (or likely to become available) this offseason, this board should be prepared for some AD's to come sniffing around Clawson, particularly if we win out and have 8-9 wins. His turnaround rep will be a great selling point for the Tennessees of the D1 football.

Might as well start the speculation on who might be on Wellman's short list if Clawson is lured away by someone. I suspect Mike Elko is on there for one.

After what happened to him at Tennessee, they're not the program I worry about.

It's way too soon for Clawson to leave Wake.
Maybe in another 10-15 years........but not before then.
He's ours. We're his.

Clawson signed an eight year extension in January. Would have to imagine the buyout would be huge at this point. Someone would have to want him really bad.

Buyout would be established by the terms of the contract. Typically the buyout is higher earlier in the contract and falls the closer it gets to expiring.

It looks like Clawson will be 4 for 4 on the turnarounds; however, in all 4 cases, his teams were really bad in his first 2 to 3 years before finally showing improvement. Now maybe that is just a reflection of how bad the teams were before he got there and what he was left to work with. The problem is, you don't get a 4th year at the "big time" schools, if you only win 2 or 3 games in your first couple of seasons. If I'm an AD, I'm impressed with Clawson's ability to build a program over time, but I'm also worried about his ability to come in and win right away. And the latter issue may not fly with an impatient fanbase.

I can't imagine Florida, Tennessee, or Texas A&M will consider him. Nebraska and Arkansas could. Potential domino openings from the big 3 could attract him, but I don't think those will be enough of a step up. Mississippi State? Nah...

He's said this is his last job. I am not naive, and get that if a big time program comes calling he would be dumb not to listen. But the thing is, at some point you would think he wants to stop rebuilding, and start enjoying some long-term success at a program he has built. If he wins consistently at Wake, he'll be a legend. We're one of a handful of elite P5 schools academically, which I know he likes and is comfortable with. While I wouldn't call us "patient" up until this season, can you imagine if it were Tennessee?

Clawson seems to really like Wake. Florida is going to swing for the fences. I do not know what happened to him at Tenn., but their fans will never be happy. He can have a very nice life at Wake. It just depends on if his family is happy and he wants to eaten alive at a big time school. They all eat their coaches-- ask Charlie Strong. Although I hear that maybe who Florida goes after.

I think Florida will chase former OC and Miss St coach Dan Mullen. He’s a proven winner at the highest level and has taken MSU as far as they can go.

Clawson seems to really like Wake. Florida is going to swing for the fences. I do not know what happened to him at Tenn., but their fans will never be happy. He can have a very nice life at Wake. It just depends on if his family is happy and he wants to eaten alive at a big time school. They all eat their coaches-- ask Charlie Strong. Although I hear that maybe who Florida goes after.

Agreed. Perhaps his experience at Tennessee taught him to value security over prestige. He seems like he will be driven to win champions wherever he is.

Clawson is smart enough and experienced enough to know that the grass is not always greener and that quality of life considerations are important, but he is also relatively young and very ambitious. WFU will not be his last stop.

I think Florida will chase former OC and Miss St coach Dan Mullen. He’s a proven winner at the highest level and has taken MSU as far as they can go.

They’re trying for Chip Kelly and Scott Frost first.

Mullen is a backup option, new UF AD was same position at Miss St so he’d be easy to get.

I’m sure we’ll hear Clawson connected to some jobs, which is a good sign.

Clawson is smart enough and experienced enough to know that the grass is not always greener and that quality of life considerations are important, but he is also relatively young and very ambitious. WFU will not be his last stop.

I am afraid this is the truth. Clawson says all the right things publicly. We are fortunate to have him. Maybe time creates a connection w Wake that is very hard to break but he came to Wake w aspirations beyond our program. If that comes to fruition, we both win.

Back